Thai/American daughters visa issues

Hello All,

Got ourselves into a bind. My daughters (3 &4) were born in Chonburi and have Thai birth certificates, registry of birth abroad (US) and US Passports. They live with my wife in Jomtien. Last month, I went back and took the family (wife is Thai National) to Hong Kong Disney. Wife only brought the girls' US passports (4 year old has a Thai Passport also). Naturally, upon arrival they girls got a 30 day visa like I normally do. Contacted the US embassy to try to sort it out and they said to contact Jomtien Immigration. Wife went down and they said the girls have to leave the Kingdom and come back in with Thai credentials. I am currently in Afghanistan and when the wife went to get get the 3 year old a Thai passport today, they said I had to be present or they could not issue one. I have no idea how to solve this issue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

11 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I thought I read somewhere that Thais do not need a passport to enter the kingdom.  This was in some post about expired passports,

repatriation, etc as I recall.  How they prove they are Thai citizens I guess I don't know.

They have to have a Thai passport (it can be expired)  or a certificate of identity from a Thai embassy to enter the country as a Thai.

7 hours ago, AmericanSafety said:

I am currently in Afghanistan and when the wife went to get get the 3 year old a Thai passport today, they said I had to be present or they could not issue one. I have no idea how to solve this issue.

You could do a letter of consent for her to get the passports alone but it would have to notarized by a Thai embassy or consulate which does not exist where your are.

Best to wait until you come back to get the passports sorted out since the children will not be fined for an overstay or they could get one year extensions of stay.

wait till u get back

http://www.passporton.com/thai-passport-application-form-for-children

Thai Citizens who are applying Child passport, both the parents should sign the applicant’s Passport application form

If one of the Parents cannot make it then the applicant can submit the Notarized Parental consent form

6 hours ago, Juan B Tong said:

You have good advice above,  but I want to thank you for your work in Afganistan.  Stay safe!

I fully concur, you did not mention your profession and so I have assumed it from your nationality and current location. Stay safe and thank you (genuinely) for your service. 

• Like 2

Thanks for taking the time with advice, genuinely appreciate it.

Update: Did a letter of consent and signed and scanned back and forth. My youngest will be getting her Thai passport up in Bangkok (3,000B for expedited) tomorrow. Now, looks like the Mrs & the girls will still have to exit the Kingdom with in the next week and re-enter with the Thai passports. That is, only if no one here knows any other tricks. :)

Edited by AmericanSafety

6 hours ago, AmericanSafety said:

Thanks for taking the time with advice, genuinely appreciate it.

Update: Did a letter of consent and signed and scanned back and forth. My youngest will be getting her Thai passport up in Bangkok (3,000B for expedited) tomorrow. Now, looks like the Mrs & the girls will still have to exit the Kingdom with in the next week and re-enter with the Thai passports. That is, only if no one here knows any other tricks. :)

Unless the consent letter is notarized I don't believe they will accept it.

As said before there is no rush for you child to leave the country. There will be no overstay fine when leaving the country.

The passport swap can be done when traveling by air. It is not possible at a border crossing.