No tourists just filthy sea, dead fish and rubbish - so beach traders call it a day

webfact

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Garry said:

Do they have access to beach grooming  / cleaning machines and I don't mean folks with garbage bags? :)

That looks like the beach run by the Thai Navy.  If so, they have a platoon of cadets cleaning up the beach each morning before tourists arrive.

2 hours ago, gamini said:

You are talking about Pattaya. There are plenty of beautiful unspoilt beaches in Thailand with clean water and nice people living there.

No one said anything about there not being nice people, that has nothing to do with it- the trash is what we are talking about - se e some of the photos that have been posted -this is typical of the east cost of the Gulf - its not isolated -even the better beaches are still polluted, just not so bad, it does not make them good - i think peopl are so used to it that they just dont see it anymore - the problem is an environmental disaster for Thailand - plastic bags never go away - they stay in the environment forever - why are these so many people not taking this seriously? It beggars belief..... Sky TV in the UK has launched a campaign to raise awreness of the devastation and marine death cause by plastic litter in the ocean - this is what thailand needs to do - it does not need people thinking people are overstating what is happening

7 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I think you have no need to worry....while they say Jomtien Beach I'm almost sure they mean Pattaya beach.

I walk on Jomtien promenade daily and it is a nice friendly spot with traders as usual .

I hope you and your family have a great holiday and remember the old addige......" Don't believe everything you read in the papers".

The picture is taken at JOMTIEN beach...:wink:

Yesterday, on a very sunny day, between 11am and 2 pm, i drove with my motorbike 6x up and down the entire Jomtien beach road. From the most southern point (seafood restaurants) up to Soi Whitehouse the beach was EMPTY, just a few EMPTY songtaews  were searching for customers, even mobile food vendors were rare to be found..
And yes the water in the entire area is full of garbage, even in Ban Amphur where i live... its a DISASTER !   :1zgarz5:

The pictures don't lie mate.

Your pictures look fantastic mate. How about the hygiene quality of the sea water at Sattahip.

Are you 100% sure that it's free from all of the bacteria that is found in the sea water at beaches to the north (Pattaya) and south of Sattahip (Ban Phe). ???

7 hours ago, monspencer said:

I would say that the photo is of Jomtien beach. If it was Pattaya beach the backdrop would be of the headland between Pattaya and Jomtiem. Also there would be loads of jet skiers etc, etc in the sea and the sky.

Aren't you missing the point of the story? That there AREN'T the usual jet-skiers or swimmers in the sea or the on beach? (in the sky?) Bit like someone saying they came to see me yesterday but I wasn't there.. and me replying that they can't have been to MY place as my place has me in it? Er.. yeah.. the point has been made I think.

Edited by spectrumisgreen

5 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Because you have only seen  from afar, the reports are to be dismissed as  fabrications and lies. OK.  When is the last time that the Pattaya government  released any information on water quality? We believe that it is because the gathering of water samples and other data  is forbidden. When was the last time a public health agency or  academic researcher has done any water and soil quality assessment?  My understanding is that the water is contaminated with feces and related e.coli along with some very dangerous and nasty bacteria and viruses and  toxic substances including heavy metals such as mercury, lead, arsenic and cadmium ,that the information is suppressed. if the  public knew that  the water offshore of Pattaya was no better than a Bangkok Klong, tourism would suffer. I offer that the current  situation is criminal.

Your response is off topic from the initial post content. I admitted the water is not good.  However, the majority of the beach is great for a mile.  The picture depicted does not represent the entire beach. The content does not represent the true number of beach and city tourists. Go to the west coast of America if you want to see more Dead Sea life and trash.  https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=980&bih=621&q=dead+sea+life+in+cal&oq=dead+sea+life+in+cal&gs_l=img.3...3053.11604.0.11876.22.22.0.0.0.0.244.3474.0j19j1.20.0....0...1.1.64.img..2.18.3133.0..0j0i10k1j0i8i30k1j0i24k1j0i30k1.ASkR8K-_Uos

Edited by Kabula

Nobody got sick or their hair fell out. If that's what you mean.

Wow. Thanks for that in-depth, highly scientific water quality report. Pretty much the answer that I expected because that WHOLE coastline of the Gulf is contaminated and you know it.

Everyone, please remember to also keep your head out of the "clear water" at Sattahip Beach, just 30 minutes drive south of the Jomtien Beach excrement centre.

7 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

In rainy season there usually is not the number of tourists that there is over the Winter months

when it is really cold in China, Russia, North America, and too hot in Australia so even those

tourists go to Thailand for a change.  The beach cleaners come out and make the place more

visibily pleasing for us tourists of the peak season. So relax you visitors of Chrstmas and New Years.

Geezeri

but what about the water nearby? do they continue to pump in waste or sewage water in hi-season?

10 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

The last time I swam in Jomtien was 2006 I think.  It seemed OK at the time.  Boy it has gone downhill and it is such a naturally pretty place.  Of course it can't handle the sewage, restaurant waste water, etc.  What a shame.  It was so fun to stay in Pattaya, hop down to Jomtien to swim.  Jomtien beach was relatively quiet.

Jomtien's a nightmare with the polution and the obnoxious bass-heavy music booming out of the trucks every few yards.

The big attraction for visitors to Pattaya is obviously not the pristine rubbish/sewage infested beaches, have to ponder for a moment what the attraction intrinsically would be? is it Soi 6 and all the other sex venues! With the shear number of bars and booze establishments Pattaya would likely appeal to the "booze-heads" of society.

Edited by blackson

Pattaya definitely needs someone like Joseph Bazalgette who built the London sewers and cleaned up London after the year of the "Big Stink". Even after the large drains built near Soi 6 and a pipe going out aome way there were still mobile pumps there in June. And how much did that cost ??

8 hours ago, twizzian said:

Took my little boy to Bang Saen yesterday, got fed up kicking off the plastic bags and bottles in the water.

Never again.

We were at Bang Saen on Sunday and there were football sized jellyfish in the water and on the sand but also lots of dead little silver fish floating about in amongst the rubbish. There was also a lot of rubbish on the beach but a front end loader was cruising up and down the beach to maybe clean it up a bit?

15 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Nightmare I'm staying in Jomtien with my family over Christmas and new year

We've just got back. If you go to Sukhumvit jump on a white baht bus heading south baan amphur is about 10km 20bht wach ot stay on for about 40 mins to bang saray still 20bht each. Green baht buses run down to beach at bang saray... beautiful beach 

Yeah, but.  . . 

It's been like this for years. Nobody with half a brain swims in the sea at Pattaya or Jomtiem. The story is not very different along the entire north eastern and central seaboard where pollution from towns along the coast and the heavy maritime traffic takes a heavy toll.

Raw sewage and tidemarks of repulsive rubbish are commonly found on beaches to the south of Pattaya, notably Hua Hin. As Cha Am develops it too is beginning to inherit the same kind of  problems. Wherever in Thailand  tourism flowers with uncontrolled development the seeds of environmental destruction are sown.

Sad, but seemingly unstoppable.

Wow. Thanks for that in-depth, highly scientific water quality report. Pretty much the answer that I expected because that WHOLE coastline of the Gulf is contaminated and you know it.

Everyone, please remember to also keep your head out of the "clear water" at Sattahip Beach, just 30 minutes drive south of the Jomtien Beach excrement centre.

Up to you.
What a strange reply.
Not to worry.
What ever turns you on.
Not going to be drawn into some bizarre exchange of nonsense.
All I know is that the places visited on the day were clean and not busy.
Everyone had a great time.

14 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I think you have no need to worry....while they say Jomtien Beach I'm almost sure they mean Pattaya beach.

I walk on Jomtien promenade daily and it is a nice friendly spot with traders as usual .

I hope you and your family have a great holiday and remember the old addige......" Don't believe everything you read in the papers".

Nah I don't see a large Pattaya sign on the hill in the background, :) .  looks like mostly stuff blown up onto the beach by the storms,  Even in southern California they close the beaches for a couple of days after a  heavy storm to allow the bacteria levels to normalize. Bang Chang has some pretty good beaches a little further south and east of Jomtien, but still going to look bad after a storm, or head north to Cosey beach below Pratamak hill, thats another nice spot me thinks. :)

Up to you.
What a strange reply.
Not to worry.
What ever turns you on.
Not going to be drawn into some bizarre exchange of nonsense.
All I know is that the places visited on the day were clean and not busy.
Everyone had a great time.

There's no disputing you all had a great time on a clean, quiet beach.

But what about the unsafe bacterial level of the water?

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The lack of environmental awareness here is sometimes mind numbing. Sometimes, when I am around Thai people who say something like I really love my country, I ask "so then why don't you take care of your country?" They give me this look. What do you mean? Why do you throw stuff in the rivers, and lakes, and throw your trash on the beach, and out of your car? Why don't you recycle your plastic and glass? Why don't you refill your water bottles, and bring them to restaurants, so you will not have to waste 600 plastic bottles a year? Why don't you bring bags with you to Tesco, when you shop, so you do not have to use all that plastic? They just do not know what to say, or how to react? You are a foreigner. You do not know anything about my country.Really? I know you guys adore plastic, and throw stuff everywhere. I see that. I know a few things. 

And another thing I know, is that eventually Thailand will gain an environmental awareness. It may be a little late, at that point. All the seafood in the Gulf may be dead by then. But, it will happen. Might take a generation or two. But it will happen. All nations mature eventually. Despite ignorance at the top. The people will figure it out. Thai people can be quite sensitive, and if given the right kinds of encouragement, and direction, they will figure it out. 

Here in Amsterdam they stopped BBQs in the Vondel Park because of the mess, made Jomtien Beach look pristine. 

After any festival in Europe it's a major operation to clean up

It seems folks nowadays don't give a monkeys they just drop their trash anywhere, the vendors on Jomtien just clean the bit in front of their chairs. Don't hold your breath if you think the people will figure it out. 

7 hours ago, Gregster said:

Your pictures look fantastic mate. How about the hygiene quality of the sea water at Sattahip.

Are you 100% sure that it's free from all of the bacteria that is found in the sea water at beaches to the north (Pattaya) and south of Sattahip (Ban Phe). ???

Who with  sane mind could think that any sea is clean in Thailand ? Even if it looks like ?

15 hours ago, adammike said:

Here in Amsterdam they stopped BBQs in the Vondel Park because of the mess, made Jomtien Beach look pristine. 

After any festival in Europe it's a major operation to clean up

It seems folks nowadays don't give a monkeys they just drop their trash anywhere, the vendors on Jomtien just clean the bit in front of their chairs. Don't hold your breath if you think the people will figure it out. 

Well, I am talking about a generation or two. In the US they came up with the litterbug campaign. In the 1960's. They started imposing large fines on people for throwing trash out of the car, onto the highway, and the areas on the side of the road. I think they started with $200 back in 1962. That was alot of money. It is now $1,000. Imagine the reaction you would get from the average Thai, if they were given a ticket for 33,000 baht for throwing something out of the window of their car, or leaving trash on the beach? Word would get around fast.

The goons in charge are focusing their efforts in all the wrong areas. They are trying to make Thailand a Quaker State. A land of purity. Total BS. Nonsense. Misplaced priorities, and wasted efforts. They should be focusing their efforts on traffic and public safety, easing import tariffs, making visa policy simpler, and more friendly, boosting Western tourism, real crackdowns on slavery, and illegal fishing instead of nonsensical hyperbole, cleaning up the water, the air, the rivers, and the beaches, and other things that actually improve lives.

Little P. Not making Thailand great again. And moving the nation backwards at an astonishing and alarming pace.