Quick Baht Bus fare query?

SooKee

Saw several posts on the baht bus fare rates dating back to Dec 2016.  Nothing much since then.  Just to confirm I've got it right is the fare within Pattaya on the beach / 2nd road circuit 10 baht if going anywhere / any distance on that circuit or is it the case that if you turn one or two of the corners it goes up to 20 baht?  Saw a few posts saying that a straight run is 10 but if were going from 2nd road up, all the way along, and came back up say 50% of the way along the beach road it'd be 20.  Could ask the driver, but of course that'd get the answer 20 baht.

Edited by SooKee

You seem to have it right. Straight 10, around the corner and 50% back 20.

There are some that still think it's 5 baht anywhere, but those of us in the real world don't want to get bashed for the sake of 10 baht.

In Chiang Mai it's way more than Pattaya- rip off merchants up there. Pattaya has it good.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You seem to have it right. Straight 10, around the corner and 50% back 20.

There are some that still think it's 5 baht anywhere, but those of us in the real world don't want to get bashed for the sake of 10 baht.

In Chiang Mai it's way more than Pattaya- rip off merchants up there. Pattaya has it good.

Thanks.  And yeah, I'm well aware of the fares in CM, lived there for a year last year.  Lots of folks I know love/ like it there, probably 9 months too long for me (and that's being polite in all honesty). Buddy of mine who's Thai got charged 400 by a songtaew to go from Nimman to Hangdong!!!

Edited by SooKee

2 hours ago, SooKee said:

Saw a few posts saying that a straight run is 10 but if were going from 2nd road up, all the way along, and came back up say 50% of the way along the beach road it'd be 20.

10B regardless of where you go on that route.

I don't completely get your question, so I'll answer this way.

Nowhere is the fare 5 baht anymore.

Coming from Jomtien the fare is 10 baht as far as Pattaya Klang, and 20 baht after.

On 2nd road if you go north to Pattaya North, and then they turn left and start going down Beach road, my opinion is that fare then possibly turns into 20 baht. I would suggest handing over 10 and if pushback, just give the 20. Although I think some drivers would just kick you off at 2nd and Pattaya North. 

Within Pattaya, otherwise, all one way fares on 2nd or Beach are 10 baht regardless of distance. 

Edited by Jingthing

21 hours ago, KittenKong said:

10B regardless of where you go on that route.

I got on the baht bus at the beginning of 2nd road at pratmantak and was going to the bus station. I wasn't sure where I was going, I went all the way to the end of 2nd road the bus went right then looped right on to another road..next thing I know I saw the bus station...got off paid 10 baht...must have been a fluke..

1 minute ago, JRUSA said:

I got on the baht bus at the beginning of 2nd road at pratmantak and was going to the bus station. I wasn't sure where I was going, I went all the way to the end of 2nd road the bus went right then looped right on to another road..next thing I know I saw the bus station...got off paid 10 baht...must have been a fluke..

At Pattaya North road most buses going north on 2nd road will turn left and loop back down Beach road, while some will go straight on into Naklua. I have NEVER seen a bus like that turn right!

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I don't completely get your ..question, so I'll answer this way.

Nowhere is the fare 5 baht anymore.

Coming from Jomtien the fare is 10 baht as far as Pattaya Klang, and 20 baht after.

On 2nd road if you go north to Pattaya North, and then they turn left and start going down Beach road, my opinion is that fare then possibly turns into 20 baht. I would suggest handing over 10 and if pushback, just give the 20. Although I think some drivers would just kick you off at 2nd and Pattaya North. 

Within Pattaya, otherwise, all one way fares on 2nd or Beach are 10 baht regardless of distance. 

Yah, the question wasn't as well worded as it could have been, tiredness I guess.  Basically was just on about the 2nd Road / Beach road loop and whether the price varied at all depending on how much of the 'circuit' you travel, be it, 10, 30, 50, 75, or 95% of it.

The army decided some time ago that the fare is THB  10....period; no matter distance or area. 

Since the new route schedules (which aren't kept) you may even pay more for a ride from Naklua to Jomtien because you have to change BB's 3 times. 

Guessing I'll stick to giving 10 baht but have the extra 10 available in the event of random drivers thinking I've gone too far for just 10.  Not worth getting into a policy argument, or worse, a shouting match over it methinks.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

At Pattaya North road most buses going north on 2nd road will turn left and loop back down Beach road, while some will go straight on into Naklua. I have NEVER seen a bus like that turn right!

Was my first trip past big C Marina... When it turned right towards naklua it then took another right..I was concerned and rang the buzzer..asked the driver which way to the bus station he said the way I was headed.. now when I got on the bus I never said where I was going...just blind luck...now heading home I got on a bus..it went to the cross road..and stopped the driver said he was going to naklua and I needed to change to the next bus to go to beach road..I road that one all the way around past walking street to the light at 2 road...the headed south..as my condo is behind unixx condos..that trip was also 10 baht

6 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

The army decided some time ago that the fare is THB  10....period; no matter distance or area. 

Since the new route schedules (which aren't kept) you may even pay more for a ride from Naklua to Jomtien because you have to change BB's 3 times. 

I take that trip every few weeks going to the Naklua fish market. It is always 2 routes with one from Naklua to 2nd Road/Pattaya Tai and the other from there to Jomtien.

11 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

10B for as long as I can remember.   That's the 1st I've ever heard of the army ever having had anything to do with it.   The 10B rate certainly dates much further back than the current government, if that's what you're implying.  'Can't even remember when it was 5B, but DO remember a sort of "proposal" a year or two ago, which never made it off the ground, to make it 20B.

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

I was told in the past that coming from Jomtien when you cross Pattaya Tai the fare becomes 20 Baht. But that is not my experience.

Not the case. Still 10 baht.

Edited by AlexCanada

12 hours ago, JRUSA said:

Was my first trip past big C Marina... When it turned right towards naklua it then took another right..I was concerned and rang the buzzer..asked the driver which way to the bus station he said the way I was headed.. now when I got on the bus I never said where I was going...just blind luck...now heading home I got on a bus..it went to the cross road..and stopped the driver said he was going to naklua and I needed to change to the next bus to go to beach road..I road that one all the way around past walking street to the light at 2 road...the headed south..as my condo is behind unixx condos..that trip was also 10 baht

The baht buses have large white signs on the roof indicating which route they do.

On a related topic, can anyone direct me to a map of the white baht bus route on Sukhumvit?  Would like to know how far it goes.

19 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The army isn't most places, most times. 

I suppose you aren't at the Dolphin roundabout watching the baht buses and taking notes all the time either.

Most baht busses will continue north on Naklua Road
from the Dolphin Roundabout (Second Road and North Road intersection).
However, sometimes they may turn east at Central Road or
they may proceed to North Road and turn either east toward Third road or west toward Beach road.
If they turn west to Beach Road, they will
continue on the main
circuit until they reach the South Road

4 hours ago, AlexCanada said:

The baht buses have large white signs on the roof indicating which route they do.

On a related topic, can anyone direct me to a map of the white baht bus route on Sukhumvit?  Would like to know how far it goes.

Its on the side of the bus - naklua to sattahip

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I suppose you aren't at the Dolphin roundabout watching the baht buses and taking notes all the time either.

they may proceed to North Road and turn either east toward Third road or west toward Beach road.
continue on the main

Right, dude.

Yes, I've experienced them turning right at Central many times. That's not what they usually do, but yes, not especially rare.

I only meant to say that I have never personally experienced being on a bus going north on 2nd road that turns right at North road. In my experience about 75 percent will turn left to loop back down Beach road and the rest continue to Naklua. I never meant to say it could never happen that they go east. Just that I've never seen it so I'm making an assumption that's on the rare side. 

I never do this, but my understanding is that if you get on a bus at the bus parking mess on 2nd road just north of Pattaya Tai, those buses do go to on through into Naklua. 

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Right, dude.

Yes, I've experienced them turning right at Central many times. That's not what they usually do, but yes, not especially rare.

I only meant to say that I have never personally experienced being on a bus going north on 2nd road that turns right at North road. In my experience about 75 percent will turn left to loop back down Beach road and the rest continue to Naklua. I never meant to say it could never happen that they go east. Just that I've never seen it so I'm making an assumption that's on the rare side. 

I never do this, but my understanding is that if you get on a bus at the bus parking mess on 2nd road just north of Pattaya Tai, those buses do go to on through into Naklua. 

Or on 2nd Rd outside the old Topps location just past Klang. If elsewhere on 2nd Rd, if there is a lot of Thais on the bus it is likely going to Naklua. Or ask the driver and experience some casual and practiced impoliteness.

I have a lot of time for those drivers who put up plastic sheeting when it rains or ask you to sit in the cab when the bus is full. They are not all bad apples; just most of them. ?

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

continue on the main

LOL. Whenever I take a baht bus to go to the beach at the north end they invariably go towards Naklua, and if I want to go to Naklua they turn down to go to the beach. :smile:

19 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Right, dude.

More likely yes, but I have found them hard to predict, if there is only one passenger at the Dolphin he may decide to loop back. Personally I just get off and walk to another corner, if they don't go my way, or look for another or a motorcycle guy.