Borax.

malt25

Hi all.

I'm in Sakon Nakhon. I'm looking to buy some Borax powder.  Also known as Boric acid.

Any members know where I might look.

น้ำประสานทอง    Thai translation.

Thanks.....     Mal.

• Like 1

There's a shop in Korat where I've bought borax and it comes

in a 450-500g. box.

They sale this Co.products, and you can order from their phone

number on the box, about Bt.150 + EMS from BKK

rice555    Need to add a "0" in the phone number.  03817100-2

post-37242-0-91454800-1379450216.jpg

Edited by rice555
forgot the pic

3 hours ago, rice555 said:

There's a shop in Korat where I've bought borax and it comes

in a 450-500g. box.

They sale this Co.products, and you can order from their phone

number on the box, about Bt.150 + EMS from BKK

rice555    Need to add a "0" in the phone number.  03817100-2

mmm... Calcium hydroxide is the same as Borax? Or works the same way?

I was told that Borax was no longer sold as it had been used in the past to poison people. I'm looking for some myself to kill ants.

(Edit) just realised that hydrated lime is what I used to use in the building trade and found that it can be used to keep ants away but not kill them. I haven't seen any for years... I posted here a short time ago looking for it in order to make whitewash!

Edited by cooked

48 minutes ago, cooked said:

mmm... Calcium hydroxide is the same as Borax? Or works the same way?

I was told that Borax was no longer sold as it had been used in the past to poison people. I'm looking for some myself to kill ants.

(Edit) just realised that hydrated lime is what I used to use in the building trade and found that it can be used to keep ants away but not kill them. I haven't seen any for years... I posted here a short time ago looking for it in order to make whitewash!

Not the same!!!

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Calcium_dichloride#section=Top

However the phone number on the box in Rice's pic, can be used to purchase Borax from that company. Just add the (0) on the phone number.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rice555 said:

The pic was to give the PHONE NUMBERS & CO's name only!!!!!!!!!!!

No shit it not the same stuff. This was for making masa, the B I use in

making hydro nutrients.

rice555

You can get solbor from WESCO in BKK which I use for the "B" in my hydroponic

nutrients. "Solubor (B.20.9%) 500 gram @Bt 150.-" Which is used as Boron

The shop in Korat sales the borax from the Co. on the cali box and a lab grade

Boric Acid 47% @Bt.1400. for 500g.  Can get the P/N if you need that strength

rice555

Edited by rice555
spelling

Thanks guys for all your replies.

Sory, but I don't understand a lot of the replies.

I understand Borax powder mixed with water is a very effective & economical method of treating mould on concrete.

I have a lot of mould after all the wet weather we've had. After spraying with the Borax mixture I intend pressure washing the concrete.

Also considering painting the concrete with a clear sealer to prevent further mould growth.

All suggestions, advice, welcome.

Thanks .....     Mal.

Have you tried bleach and scrubbing with a wire brush?

Muratic acid or what they use in swimming pool water

treatment can be used(NOT Chlorine!!)  to clean cement,

BUT is nasty stuff to work with, no kids or animals around

to stuff when using.

rice555

You might find a driveway cleaner at Home Pro or other large

building supply store.

Read more safety info besides this if you use it!

MURIATIC ACID SAFETY
It's important to read and follow safety advice given on the acid container because the chemical is highly corrosive and also reactive. Protective gloves (e.g., latex), eye goggles, shoes, and chemical-resistant clothing should be worn. The acid should be used under a fume hood or else in a well-ventilated area. Direct contact can cause chemical burns and damage surface.

end: comp native-placeholder mntl-block
Exposure can damage the eyes, skin, and respiratory organs irreversibly. Reaction with oxidizers, such as chlorine bleach (NaClO) or potassium permanganate (KMnO4) will produce toxic chlorine gas. The acid can be neutralized with a base, such as sodium bicarbonate, and then rinsed away using a copious volume of water. 

Nah, I assumed that you wanted Borax for killing ants. People were using it as a food preservative in the markets so it was removed from sale. It iS quite poisonous.

Do what most of us do: pressure clean. Sprinkle bleach. Pressure clean again if necessary. I do this about twice a year, it works well enough, I can't see Borax working any better

12 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Bleach i really cant find any anywhere am i missing something surley bleach must be sold somewhere

Have you tried Lotus?  I buy it there all the time.

Just now, rijb said:

Have you tried Lotus?  I buy it there all the time.

Have looked in there cant seem to see any only the kitchen and bathroom cleaning stuff. What the bottle like have you a picture?

1 minute ago, jeab1980 said:

Have looked in there cant seem to see any only the kitchen and bathroom cleaning stuff. What the bottle like have you a picture?

Look in the laundry soap section.

Unknown.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, rijb said:

Look in the laundry soap section.

Unknown.jpeg

Yes, bleach is available in all supermarkets. Our local 7-11 stocks small bottles. I think about 500 ml.

I've found what I was after. Powdered Borax. Only size I can buy locally is 1 kg. But it's reasonably inexpensive. 85 baht for 1 kg.

I use Boric accid to kill ants. Mix 1 cup sugar, 1 cup hot water, 2 tablespoons of Boric accid.

I put it in small plastic bottles,  max 3 cl in each, make small holes 5 cm up in the bottle. Drop a little bit under the bottle to attract the ants. They take it back to the queen and feed her and the queen dies. 

Normally the ants are gone within 8 hours. They will come back after maybe 2 months, out with the bottles again. 

I buy the Boric Accid in the shop that have chemicals for Swimmming pools. 

• Like 1

I had an old wooden deck covered in green slime.  I sprayed on a product that was a mix of Lye (Sodium hydroxide) and chlorine bleach.  It worked amazingly well, though I did rinse it off with a pressure washer.  (Nasty stuff though - use eye protection.)

• 11 months later...
10 minutes ago, PhonThong said:

NO!

Much simpler is to buy permethrin in an orange plastic packet labelled Chaindrite. Just sprinkle it and ants, cockroaches etc disappear although a second application may be necessary. No more ants near our house, chickens, dogs and sundry brats thriving.

Permethrin is approved for use on mosquito nets and is low toxicity.

"Spraying" stuff doesn't make it a dangerous chemical. total nonsense. 

1 hour ago, cooked said:

Much simpler is to buy permethrin in an orange plastic packet labelled Chaindrite. Just sprinkle it and ants, cockroaches etc disappear although a second application may be necessary. No more ants near our house, chickens, dogs and sundry brats thriving.

That is what I am using to keep ants from my orchid plants by sprikling the powder around the pots.

The bottles are so small, how many do you need to protect a house ? ?

22 hours ago, Thailand J said:

That is what I am using to keep ants from my orchid plants by sprikling the powder around the pots.

The bottles are so small, how many do you need to protect a house ? ?

Bottles? I have a 500gm packet, BigC and Makro, ฿140.-

ants.JPG

• Like 1