Cheese Cake

thaigerd

I did make some cheese cakes today big ones and portion size.

Just for my own relaxation and to train my bakery staff.

The small portions will go to a member here (promised the person already today :o )

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

Gerd

How about taking an order for me in Kamphaeng Phet province. Bitte....Bitte?!!!

I made several cheesecakes for some holiday parties. I tried a new recipe for caramel toffee topping that got rave reviews.

Caramel topping

1 1/2 cups sugar

1/4 cup water

1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

1 cup heavy whipping cream

4 1.4-ounce English toffee candy bars (such as Heath or Skor), chopped

Stir sugar, water, and lemon juice in large saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat; boil without stirring until mixture turns deep amber, occasionally swirling pan and brushing down sides with wet pastry brush, about 9 minutes. Add cream (mixture will bubble). Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until reduced to 1 1/4 cups, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Chill until thickened but still pourable, about 15 minutes.

sprinkle crushed toffee over all as desired.

MMMMMMMMM

I did make some cheese cakes today big ones and portion size.

Just for my own relaxation and to train my bakery staff.

The small portions will go to a member here (promised the person already today :o )

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

Gerd

How about taking an order for me in Kamphaeng Phet province. Bitte....Bitte?!!!

When I would be living in your area no problem, sure!

Gerd

thaigerd, you make such wonderful looking (and tasting, im sure) goodies its a wonder you are not a big pumpui!

god, they look good. baked cheesecake is one of my faves too. my mouth is watering (again) looking at those pics.

OOH, photos didn't load the first time round. SADIST!

pumpuiman, where do you get Heath bars!

Sorry...I'm currently in the US.....but would post you some if your desperate and they cant be found.

must be a recipe for toffee around....perhaps making your own would be the answer.

thaigerd, you make such wonderful looking (and tasting, im sure) goodies its a wonder you are not a big pumpui!

god, they look good. baked cheesecake is one of my faves too. my mouth is watering (again) looking at those pics.

Donna,

next time it's your turn as a "test-person" for me but it will be a new creation.

Just thought this afternoon to use a very good mascarpone instead cream cheese......?!

I will give it a try.

I am not pumpui cause I cannot eat what I've cooked/baked by myself, it's a horror for me. But I love to cook for my wife and some good friends.

So, gonna take a shower now and head to Patong helping a friend planning and creating a menu for a new venue, may be I can ask for a few drinks for one of our (hopefully) next piss-up as a compensation for me.

Gerd

anyone got a recipie for NYC style cheesecake? I notice that phila. cream cheese is widely available (even in wildest Suphanburi) but the gram cracker crust may be hard to come by...any acceptable substitute for the crust?

I made this many years ago and it was a hit...easy ingredients and assembly, must be a way to do it in Thailand (with a crust substitute)...

c'mon gerd...don't get all european on us and help us out

anyone got a recipie for NYC style cheesecake? I notice that phila. cream cheese is widely available (even in wildest Suphanburi) but the gram cracker crust may be hard to come by...any acceptable substitute for the crust?

I made this many years ago and it was a hit...easy ingredients and assembly, must be a way to do it in Thailand (with a crust substitute)...

c'mon gerd...don't get all european on us and help us out

Gingersnap crust

Nonstick vegetable oil spray

1 1/2 cups ground gingersnap cookies (about 7 1/4 ounces)

5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

2 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar

For gingersnap crust:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom of 9-inch springform pan with 2 1/2-inch-high sides with nonstick spray. Stir ground cookies, butter, and sugar in medium bowl until moist clumps form. Press cookie mixture firmly onto bottom of prepared pan. Wrap outside of pan with 3 layers of heavy-duty foil. Bake crust until firm and beginning to darken, about 14 minutes. Cool crust. Maintain oven temperature.

I'm sure a lot of different cookies could be substituted if you can't find gingersnaps.....use your imagination!

Nothing is as good as a graham cracker crust, but you can also make an acceptable crust using crumbled up shortbread cookies. Use a graham cracker crust recipe, or the above recipe for gingersnap crust.

Before I brought back 10 boxes of graham cracker pie crust mix, I used crushed digestive crackers as a substitute.

These are my 2 favorites...

Cheesecake Factory Pumpkin Cheesecake

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

5 tablespoons butter -- melted

1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar

24 ounces cream cheese -- softened

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup canned pumpkin

3 eggs

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon allspice

whipped cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Make the crust by combining the graham

cracker crumbs with the melted butter and 1 tablespoon sugar in a medium bowl.

Stir well enough to coat all of the crumbs with the butter, but not so much as

to turn the mixture into paste. Keep it crumbly. Press the crumbs onto the

bottom and about two-thirds of the way up the sides of a springform pan. You

don't want the crust to form all of the way up the back of each slice of

cheesecake. Bake the crust for 5 minutes, then set it aside until you are ready

to fill it. In a large mixing bowl combine the cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, and

vanilla. Mix with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the pumpkin, eggs,

cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice and continue to beat until smooth and creamy.

Pour the filling into the pan. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes. The top will turn a

bit darker at this point. Remove from the oven and allow the cheesecake to cool.

When the cheesecake has come to room temperature, put it into the refrigerator.

When the cheesecake has chilled, remove the pan sides and cut the cake into 8

equal pieces. Use dental floss to make a clean cut. Serve with a generous

portion of whipped cream on top.

Vanilla Cheesecake

CRUST:

3 cups graham cracker crumbs

1 cup sugar

4 ounces (1 stick) butter, melted

FILLING:

24 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature 2 cups sugar

1-2 tablespoons vanilla (Barn Door uses 4 tablespoons clear vanilla, which isn't as strong; recipe tested with 1 tablespoon regular vanilla)

5 eggs

SOUR CREAM TOPPING:

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 teaspoon vanilla (Barn Door uses 2 tablespoons clear vanilla, which isn't as strong; recipe tested with 1/2 teaspoon regular vanilla)

1/2 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

For Crust: Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter in a mixing bowl; pour into a 9-inch springform pan. (Line the pan with a circle of parchment paper if desired.) With a spoon, pat mixture evenly on the bottom and up the sides of the pan.

For Filling: Add softened cream cheese to the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on low speed, adding sugar gradually. Add vanilla, then add eggs, one at a time, mixing thoroughly with each addition. Pour into crust. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven and set on a rack to cool.

For Topping: Mix sour cream, vanilla and sugar together until smooth. Pour evenly onto cooled cheesecake. Refrigerate overnight. (Cheesecake will firm up as it chills. Do not attempt to slice it until the following day.)

ginger snaps and short bread cookies?...where is one supposed to look for those in Thailand? Now, Oreo cookies are available everywhere...if we are creative, there just might be a way...

we should pool our efforts and present the result for the scrutiny of cheescake lovers everywhere...the Expat Lost in Thailand Oreo Cheescake Supreme!

ginger snaps and short bread cookies?...where is one supposed to look for those in Thailand? Now, Oreo cookies are available everywhere...if we are creative, there just might be a way...

we should pool our efforts and present the result for the scrutiny of cheescake lovers everywhere...the Expat Lost in Thailand Oreo Cheescake Supreme!

OREO COOKIE CHEESECAKE

1 1/4 c. chocolate cookie crumbs

3-4 tbsp. melted butter

2 c. whipping cream, divided

3 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, softened

1 c. white sugar

34 Oreo cookies divided

4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate

1/2 tsp. vanilla

Whipped cream for garnish

Crust: Combine cookie crumbs and melted butter; press into 9-inch spring form pan. Place crust in freezer. Whip 1 1/2 cups whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.

With electric beater, whip cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar and blend. Coarsely chop 24 cookies and fold into cream cheese mixture. Fold in whipping cream. Turn filling into crust. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours.

Loosen cheesecake from pan. Melt chocolate in saucepan over low heat; cool slightly. Whisk remaining whipped cream and vanilla. Glaze top and sides of cheesecake with chocolate mixture. Refrigerate until chocolate hardens. Cut into 10 pieces; garnish with whipping cream and cookie on top of whipped cream.

Enjoy!!!

PS. For all of us cheescake lovers....don't forget to use digestive crackers as a graham cracker substitute. Put about 10 of them in a plastic ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin. They taste great and work well in a pinch. Digestive crackers are available just about anywhere. I also used vanilla creme filled cookies before, too....but take the creme out and use the cookies alone for your crust.

PPS. Please go here and get as fat as I am :ohttp://www.recipegoldmine.com/cakecheesesw...echeeseswe.html

Edited by Buckwheat

Tutsi, you really must live in Nachon Nowhere.

It is easy to get shortbread cookies, graham crackers and cheese cake in Bangkok, Pattaya and Chiang Mai.

Tutsi, you really must live in Nachon Nowhere.

It is easy to get shortbread cookies, graham crackers and cheese cake in Bangkok, Pattaya and Chiang Mai.

get outta here UG...go to the Suphan tescos an' you will KNOW WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT...Boon Mee, as a Suphan denizen, sort this mother out...

I think you should be able to get shortbread cookies, Tutsi. They might be called butter cookies? Or bake them yourself.

oh (moan), why should I haveta bake my own cookies? for meat loaf and spag sauce I haveta buy the meat and grind it...everything has to be made from scratch...

I protest!!!... falang life in rural Thailand should not be like 'home on the range'!!!

(sumone said that I could make my own tomato sauce - a scarce commodity - by boiling tomatoes...arrrggghhhh!!!)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

oh (moan), why should I haveta bake my own cookies? for meat loaf and spag sauce I haveta buy the meat and grind it...everything has to be made from scratch...

I protest!!!... falang life in rural Thailand should not be like 'home on the range'!!!

(sumone said that I could make my own tomato sauce - a scarce commodity - by boiling tomatoes...arrrggghhhh!!!)

You make pickles and bread already, Tutsi. We just thought it would be no big deal to bake some cookies or boil tomatoes in your happy Suzy Homemaker existence. :o

tutsi is not amused :o

No offense intended, Tutsi. Remember that almost all the great chefs are men. Cooking is a manly art.

http://topchefs.chef2chef.net/recipes-2/torres/

no worries, cathy...I'm not really pissed off, just annoyed that basic stuff like canned beans and tomato sauce are not available. Like I said previously I have a quart container of tahini that I can't use because I can't find any garbanzos or eggplant for hoummos and baba ganoush...too much to expect...exotic foodstuffs...

no worries, cathy...I'm not really pissed off, just annoyed that basic stuff like canned beans and tomato sauce are not available. Like I said previously I have a quart container of tahini that I can't use because I can't find any garbanzos or eggplant for hoummos and baba ganoush...too much to expect...exotic foodstuffs...

Yeah, the tomato sauce lack is annoying me, too as I use it to make sauce for palatable pizza. I can get it in BKK, but I don't go there very often. I can get canned garbanzos locally, at Lotus I think. But you should NOT have an issue finding eggplant! They aren't big and fat like the ones in the US, they are long and skinny, and sometimes green instead of purple. Also there are the small round kind used in the sweet green curry and the clusters of really tiny ones. Here are some pics: http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_thai_eggplant.html

Yeah, the tomato sauce lack is annoying me, too as I use it to make sauce for palatable pizza. I can get it in BKK, but I don't go there very often. I can get canned garbanzos locally, at Lotus I think. But you should NOT have an issue finding eggplant! They aren't big and fat like the ones in the US, they are long and skinny, and sometimes green instead of purple. Also there are the small round kind used in the sweet green curry and the clusters of really tiny ones. Here are some pics: http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_thai_eggplant.html

thanks cathy...I'll haveta examine the offering again at tescos to see if they've got the thai variety. I'm just wondering if they can be used for baba ganoush that employs the purple type, must be toasted, etc...I've also got a recipie for indian brinjal that I wanted to try, also uses the purple type...

the Suphan tescos ain't got no canned beans whatsoever (they got canned peas but whadda they good for?) and the dried ones are inedible after soalking overnight and cooking for 3 hours...I'm gonna haveta go down to BKK and buy kidneys, garbanzos, pintos and green beans by the case. It is a travesty when the ingredients for a simple bean salad cannot be found...

btw...I've got a copy of the Claudia Roden book 'A book of Middle Eastern food' where she says that tomato paste cut with a bit of water can be used asa substitute for tomato sauce...never have tried it meself...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 2 years later...

...as a purist and being "made in Germany" I am stunned with

what concoctions people come up with and insist that these experiments

through the entirety of a grocery shop are "Cheese cakes", starts with the

use of Philadelphia Cream Cheese... oh' my lord have mercy!

I only consider Cheese Cake when it made with "Quark" (Curd Cheese)

or "Schichtkaese" (Layer Cheese) !

It's a kind of cake similar to cheesecake, called "Kaesekuchen"

in Germany. In these cakes, the quark is typically mixed with eggs,

milk or cream (added), and sugar, in some varieties Semolina is used

(to make it more firm) and baked.

In Germany, the curd is continuously stirred to prevent it from getting hard,

resulting in a thick, creamy texture. "Quark" is usually sold in plastic tubs with most or all of the whey.

This type of quark has the firmness of sour cream but is slightly dryer,

resulting in a somewhat crumbly texture (like American ricotta), and contains in its basic form about 0.2 % fat!

The semolina variety has a very light texture and is really nice without any other ingredients!