Problem calling abroad

Ryder88

hi,

I have AIS service for my phone. I call my brother ans sister pretty regularly in the U.S . Initially it was costing 12baht per minute until I checked here on thaivisa and someone told me to dial

00500 first. Which I did and cut the cost in half...Great.Saved me alot of money Been doing that for 2 months 

But suddenly it's not working . I either get dead silence and call ended , or voice saying'' invalid number''. Which they aren't. On the other hand if I call the same area code and a different number it goes thru.

Can anyone give me some advice ..

thanks

4 hours ago, tonray said:

Skype is free...apps for Android/IOS/PC. Should really take advantage of it.

Skype is not exactly free. I tried setting up an account for someone so that they could call both USA and Europe but it was not possible. After some research it turns out you have to open an account and somehow fund the account - which is not easy in Thailand.

I signed up for 00500 a few years ago, after it being highly recommended.  Rubbish.  003 is cheaper and easier, but I use google hangouts and have been calling the us for free for years.  Even works with WiFi, on a fifty Dollar tablet.   I could hear the buzzer on mom's clothes dryer in another room, from 9000 miles.

Try 006, which is cheap and has a stable, clear signal (for me, using Skype or anything computer-related to talk to my mom in the States is an impossibility as she can't deal with a computer- I'm sure it's different with your siblings).

4 hours ago, elektrified said:

Skype is not exactly free. I tried setting up an account for someone so that they could call both USA and Europe but it was not possible. After some research it turns out you have to open an account and somehow fund the account - which is not easy in Thailand.

Skype is free as long as you call between devices with Skype installed using VOIP. Only if you want to call land-line or cell numbers would you need to pay. 

https://www.skype.com/en/features/skype-to-skype-calls/

3 hours ago, tonray said:

Skype is free as long as you call between devices with Skype installed using VOIP. Only if you want to call land-line or cell numbers would you need to pay. 

https://www.skype.com/en/features/skype-to-skype-calls/

I use skype to call many of my friends and relatives computer to computer or using my cell phone browser.  Because not all of my friends and relatives are able to use computers and because sometimes I need to call businesses I pay about $14.00 a month for a Skype phone number.  With the the Skype phone number I can pick an area code in the U.S. I want my phone number to be from.  Then anyone in the U.S. can call the regular looking number from their cell or landline phone and it will ring me up on my skype which I have on all the time on my cell phone.  I can also use the skype phone to call any cell or landline number in the U.S. as well.  To me, $14.00 is a good deal to have this ability to call and receive calls from phones in the U.S.

4 minutes ago, BarnicaleBob said:

I use skype to call many of my friends and relatives computer to computer or using my cell phone browser.  Because not all of my friends and relatives are able to use computers and because sometimes I need to call businesses I pay about $14.00 a month for a Skype phone number.  With the the Skype phone number I can pick an area code in the U.S. I want my phone number to be from.  Then anyone in the U.S. can call the regular looking number from their cell or landline phone and it will ring me up on my skype which I have on all the time on my cell phone.  I can also use the skype phone to call any cell or landline number in the U.S. as well.  To me, $14.00 is a good deal to have this ability to call and receive calls from phones in the U.S.

I have same except I also have unlimited calling USA and Canada. You get a discount so both only costs me $5 per month. 

13 hours ago, tonray said:

Skype is free...apps for Android/IOS/PC. Should really take advantage of it.

I use FB Messenger and Whats app video to talk to my kids in the UK each week.  It's free, bar your normal network charges and if on WiFi, it can be totally free. Spoke to them for an hour on messenger yesterday , in a local coffee shop, using their  free wifi. 

43 minutes ago, BarnicaleBob said:

I think you have the Global plan not just North America. If you need only US/Canada can save a bit

5 hours ago, tonray said:

.. and that's very cheap, to the US. 

5 hours ago, flare said:

Try 006, which is cheap and has a stable, clear signal (for me, using Skype or anything computer-related to talk to my mom in the States is an impossibility as she can't deal with a computer- I'm sure it's different with your siblings).

She only needs to know how to use a phone.  Because you'd be calling the regular phone number via Skype.

We have had SKYPE for a long time .We top it up with $A 20 with credit card about once a year and only because we sometimes ring land line numbers in Oz which costs next to nothing per minute.Once a week speak to my daughter on her lap top cost nothing

Plenty of other options my wife talks to her brother in South Korea on LINE on her phone ,costs nothing

I Have Vonage VOIP with unlimited calling to anywhere in the world for about $30 a month but I rarely use it , my wife uses it to call her  Mom in Thailand,  , For everyone else I use Skype .  I can use it from my computer or smartphone . using WIFI or Data,  I have relatives and friends all over the world and it is nice to be able to see each other while we talk.

12 hours ago, elektrified said:

If one can find one of those Thai frequented internet cafes ( used mainly by gamers ) I was paying 10 baht an hour. In Pattaya they are full of ladies skyping their many boyfriends overseas.

Forget all that rubbish. Just have the people you call the most set up Line on their tablet/smartphone, add you by Line ID or your mobile number or you do the same. Free calls, free video chats, free messages and very good clarity. Why bother with 001, 002 and so on???

3 hours ago, idman said:

Forget all that rubbish. Just have the people you call the most set up Line on their tablet/smartphone, add you by Line ID or your mobile number or you do the same. Free calls, free video chats, free messages and very good clarity. Why bother with 001, 002 and so on???

That's fine but there are a number of people I need to call who don't have mobiles, tablets, etc. I need to make land-line calls.