Phuket tour bus hits van, tuk-tuk, nearly plunges off Patong Hill

webfact

Phuket tour bus hits van, tuk-tuk, nearly plunges off Patong Hill

Eakkapop Thongtub

1502032885_1-org.jpg

The tour bus crashed through the guardrail and nearly plunged off Patong Hill. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A Phuket tour bus carrying Chinese tourists struck a passenger van and a tuk-tuk while driving over the hills into Patong after 8pm this evening (Aug 6).

Four people were reported injured with 25 others reported as “safe”.

According to initial reports, the brakes on the bus, registered in Nakhon Sri Thammarat, “failed” before it struck the passenger van then broke through the guardrail just before the steep descent into Patong.

Source: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tour-bus-hits-van-tuk-tuk-nearly-plunges-off-patong-hill-63345.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-08-07

Brake failure:cheesy: surely not, driver brain failure.

Driving to fast, riding the brakes, to high gear, then the brakes faded.

After these all to common brake failure accidents  do they ever get an expert to check the brakes?

Edited by colinneil

Said it before and I'll say it again. Brake failures seem endemic here yet in the UK and most other places they're as rare as rocking horse shit. Why can't the drivers come up with a better excuse. Pretty sure we could all swallow a bit of "my foot slipped off the brake" kind of honesty although that would actually entail taking a modicum of responsibility which we also know is as rare as rocking horse shit.

The new governor said he was putting in an inspection station at the bottom of the hill, which hasn't been set up yet, crazy idea at that.

How about all heavy vehicles including anything over the size of a mini van take the back way, but not before being tested and have 3 month checks, papers in order, proceed.

More keystone cops on the road as well as well as inspectors doing random testing on coaches and trucks and removing those that don't stack up to the tests, oops sorry, forgot where I was again. 

Edited by 4MyEgo

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

After these all to common brake failure accidents  do they ever get an expert to check the brakes?

Why would they? The accident already happened by that time so they will change the amulet and fix the bus for the next trip.

5 minutes ago, Thian said:

Why would they? The accident already happened by that time so they will change the amulet and fix the bus for the next trip.

If you took time to read my post, it clearly states, after these all to common accidents.

Meaning check the brakes to see if what the driver is saying is correct.

Edited by colinneil

8 minutes ago, colinneil said:

If you took time to read my post, it clearly states, after these all to common accidents.

Meaning check the brakes to see if what the driver is saying is correct.

They don't have to test the brakes, they are Thai. They also don't need maintenance or special trained drivers.

The good thing about driving chinese buses is that they are cheap, just buy a new one after an accident and don't tell anybody what happened.

35 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

The new governor said he was putting in an inspection station at the bottom of the hill, which hasn't been set up yet, crazy idea at that.

How about all heavy vehicles including anything over the size of a mini van take the back way, but not before being tested and have 3 month checks, papers in order, proceed.

More keystone cops on the road as well as well as inspectors doing random testing on coaches and trucks and removing those that don't stack up to the tests, oops sorry, forgot where I was again. 

The back way, you mean Kata and Karon hills? Oh no, maybe you mean Kamala hill?

5 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I wonder if the BiB are enforcing no bus rules on Patong hill as the number of buses along Patak road to Chalong has dramatically increased this morning. 

A couple of brake failures on the Kata/Karon hills and maybe buses will be banned there as well. We're overdue a bus crash in Kata/Chalong; Patong has been monopolising them in the past year.

18 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The back way, you mean Kata and Karon hills? Oh no, maybe you mean Kamala hill?

I know there is a back way from the airport, probably through Kata and Karon, sure its hilly as soon as you pass Surin Beach, but the road is less busier than the main road, besides, they will have to go slower on the back road, that or send them the long way down to Rawai and through the back, sure people will be flocking to minivans as opposed to coaches if sent through the latter, they shouldn't be on any roads into Phuket with steep declines IMO.

11 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I know there is a back way from the airport, probably through Kata and Karon, sure its hilly as soon as you pass Surin Beach, but the road is less busier than the main road, besides, they will have to go slower on the back road, that or send them the long way down to Rawai and through the back, sure people will be flocking to minivans as opposed to coaches if sent through the latter, they shouldn't be on any roads into Phuket with steep declines IMO.

Now you're making sense: no big buses on the small and hilly roads of Phuket.

Patong Hill six-vehicle accident leaves two in serious condition

Shela Riva

1502082832_1-org.jpg

The accident left two people in serious condition, including the bus driver, who will be charged, said Patong Police. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- The devastating accident involving a tour bus carrying 21 Chinese tourists and three Thai tour guides on Patong Hill last night (Aug 6) has left two people in serious condition, Maj Teerasak Boonsaeng of the Patong Police confirmed to The Phuket News today (Aug 7).

The driver of the tour bus, 65-year-old Prajuab Sirikul, and the driver of a motorbike, Atsawadee Jesawa, 31, are in serious condition at Vachira Phuket Hospital, said Maj Teerasak.

Prajuab will face charges after his condition improves, Maj Teerasak told The Phuket News.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-hill-six-vehicle-accident-leaves-two-in-serious-condition-63352.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-08-07

Tour bus accident last night on Patong hill, people injured... - brakes failed, how unusual

I wondered what all the sirens was last night (my place is about half click as the Crow flies) Only real thing unusual is nobody was killed - AGAIN!!!

Gov how about you actually do something, Now.

Make a difference, now is your chance to show your true colours and put everyone's safety first 

26 minutes ago, Lokie said:

Tour bus accident last night on Patong hill, people injured... - brakes failed, how unusual

I wondered what all the sirens was last night (my place is about half click as the Crow flies) Only real thing unusual is nobody was killed - AGAIN!!!

Gov how about you actually do something, Now.

Make a difference, now is your chance to show your true colours and put everyone's safety first 

It has nothing to do with the government. It has everything to do with enforcing the laws that governments have already passed.

10 hours ago, tomwct said:

No buses allowed on Patong Hill! Enough said! Are these people Idiots in Phuket?

yes, it seems so, but some Deaths and hurts seems to be also calculated for this sick mass Tourism in Phuket.

Ye, 500 fine  abd a little smack on the arse,. Best thing for hm is lose his licence for life and the bus company to sack him. Hopefully their insurance company refuse to pay the claim. Except compo for the injured.

driving back to Khon Kaen today from Pattaya went though the Cabin Bure way, much better that before. They really getting on well with widening the main road over the mountain. Going to be a great run when finnished.