Top cop denies traffic police corruption

geovalin

The Phnom Penh municipal police commissioner released a statement on Saturday denying claims on social media, and in a local media report, that traffic police officers must pay $100 to their superiors to remain at high-volume checkpoints where they collect bribes from motorists. The allegation was levelled against the traffic police department by local media website Bayon Times on August 2, sparking a spike in comments by social media users over the professionalism of traffic police.

Choun Sovann, commissioner of the municipal police, said in a statement on Saturday that the Bayon Times report is false and social media users complaining of bribe-taking traffic cops should report such instances to police. “The Phnom Penh municipal police always educate, instruct, warn and punish police who defy state laws and the rules of the National Police according to their actual wrongdoings, including through demotions, removal from their positions, transfers from units, dismissal from the force, and in serious cases, they are sent to court for punishment according to the law without any tolerance,” Mr Sovann said in his statement.

Mr Sovann added that since the implementation of the new traffic law in 2016, traffic police officers are not allowed to collect fines at checkpoints. Their roles are to control and facilitate traffic flow, solve traffic congestion and protect security.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5076790/top-cop-denies-traffic-police-corruption/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 07/08

Mr Sovann added that since the implementation of the new traffic law in 2016, traffic police officers are not allowed to collect fines at checkpoints. Their roles are to control and facilitate traffic flow, solve traffic congestion and protect security.

Pity Thailand cant follow Cambodia's new law.

"Mr Sovann added that since the implementation of the new traffic law in 2016, traffic police officers are not allowed to collect fines at checkpoints. Their roles are to control and facilitate traffic flow, solve traffic congestion and protect security. "

I guess that applies only to Phenom Pen because in February the police in Sihanoukville were still collecting fines for anything they wanted to charge you with - no helmet, no international driver's license (any Asian license is supposed to be accepted), or the wrong color of shirt for the day.  Of course they ask for $5 - $10 if you are a barang but if you smile nicely and give them a $1 or $2 they will accept it and let you go on your way. 

You should get the officer's photo with you (selfie) so if you get stopped at a different check point you can show them the photo and tell them you have already paid.  Seems to work most of the time.

1 hour ago, HarrySeaman said:

"Mr Sovann added that since the implementation of the new traffic law in 2016, traffic police officers are not allowed to collect fines at checkpoints. Their roles are to control and facilitate traffic flow, solve traffic congestion and protect security. "

I guess that applies only to Phenom Pen because in February the police in Sihanoukville were still collecting fines for anything they wanted to charge you with - no helmet, no international driver's license (any Asian license is supposed to be accepted), or the wrong color of shirt for the day.  Of course they ask for $5 - $10 if you are a barang but if you smile nicely and give them a $1 or $2 they will accept it and let you go on your way. 

You should get the officer's photo with you (selfie) so if you get stopped at a different check point you can show them the photo and tell them you have already paid.  Seems to work most of the time.

"Mr Sovann should have gone to Specsavers?"

Edited by The Deerhunter

11 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

I was in Snooky a couple of years ago for a week. Even though I was wearing my helmet,

had a international driving permit I was flagged down 4 times and good naturedly shaken

down for a dollar "donation" for each of the two policeman that manned the corner. Just part

of enjoying my vacation as far as I was concerned. I was never stopped twice in the same day.