Taxi drivers propose higher traffic-jam fares in Bangkok

webfact

7 hours ago, Thian said:

If taxi's don't like to drive in the most crowded area's they're free to go drive elsewhere, isn't it?

Actually, no, they're not. They are not supposed to reject any fare. 

But we all know that they do, and even the latest crack down as failed, just like all the others.

I watched a farang lady with two daughters and copious shopping bags get turned down several times near Phayathai BTS the other day. About 30 mts from the police box!

"In a related development, the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning is considering a reduction in the speed limit along city roads from 80 kilometres per hour to 40, director Chaiwat Thongkhamkoon said yesterday. "

lmao.... it doesn't really matter what number they put on the sign, if the police don't " police" the roads

if the BiB where to invest in a few speed radar guns, or cameras, the income generated would be obscene.... then consider the available revenue for other driving indiscretions ... cue ABBA.... money money money...

5 hours ago, SWW said:

My 3.2L truck drinks around 0.7L of diesel every hour if it's sitting going nowhere (I have one of those OBD-II gadgets so I have checked). If you assume that a taxi drinks 2kg of CNG over the same hour (and it's probably way less!), doesn't that mean the "actual cost" would be less than 30 THB per hour? So yes, by all means modify the price to reflect the "actual cost", although that would mean cutting the price to a quarter of what it is now.

You forget the time spent in traffic jam; the driver, and the car, shall be compensated for that loss also, compared to the normal kilometer fare at an average city speed. If 120 baht extra an hour – i.e. 2 baht @ minute – in compensation for fuel and time is fair enough and reflect the actual costs, or not, I however cannot judge; but as long as a taxi drives on the meter, Bangkok is not outstanding expensive...:smile:

For comparison, try to grab a taxi and look how fast the meter is running in a Northern European capital...:shock1:

9 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

They should definitely revise the fares for different areas and different timings of the day which would be fair for the taxi drivers, and at the same time the taxi drivers should have no excuses to refuse a customer anymore, or being a taxi mafia monoplizing a certain district or area. 

when the subject of raising fare's is spewed out by taxi drivers i am assuming that they do no wrong  and are performing their job honestly and provide a safe  (rapes) clean environment for the customer .......if you think this accurate you are playing with a short deck . in this life you get what you earn , nothing more or less . the powers that be could force every taxi man to take a shower and change socks , ehh.... that still would not make up for the years of stench...nor would it change the driver who cant read and knows where not he is going. the Thai taxi driver has destroyed a one time honored profession , it is to late , this needs to be corrected with new hires  that are held to a higher standard . the Thai people need and deserve this .

Edited by mikiea

7 hours ago, SWW said:

My 3.2L truck drinks around 0.7L of diesel every hour if it's sitting going nowhere (I have one of those OBD-II gadgets so I have checked). If you assume that a taxi drinks 2kg of CNG over the same hour (and it's probably way less!), doesn't that mean the "actual cost" would be less than 30 THB per hour? So yes, by all means modify the price to reflect the "actual cost", although that would mean cutting the price to a quarter of what it is now.

The drivers are entitled to actually earn a living. They may be stuck in traffic but they are still working !

Love the speed limit reduction proposal.

Two points here , 1) Any law is only as good as those who are charged to enforce it, like driving the wrong way up a

one way street & driving a motorbike on a walkway  (also up the wrong way )

Nothing & nobody stops them

None of these things are enforced so,

2) The speed limit in Thailand is & always will be as fast as the vehicle can go until you catch up with                                            something in front.

Most people will get out and use public transport. Will end up being too expensive for the ordinary Thai.

Especially those working in the City till late who will have to pick up the tab. More expense for City businesses.

I arrived at Don Meung this morning at 7:30 and took a taxi to Mochit Bus station. It took one hour because of traffic and it cost 220 baht. I then took the Korat bus which was back in front of the DM in 20 mins, and to add insult to injury it stopped outside the airport.....who knew? And the fare to Korat was 191 baht.....crazy world.

I certainly cannot understand living in BKK.....worse than LA.

17 hours ago, webfact said:

He said he had already raised the issue with Deputy Transport Minister Pichit Akrathit during a recent discussion on why taxis, in defiance of the law, often refused passengers. 

What, so they can be stuck in traffic jams without compensation? Better idea would be to slash the taxi numbers while properly enforcing the law, thus reducing traffic and the numbers of p_____d off potential passengers.

16 hours ago, Cyclone88 said:

It may cost 30 baht to tick over for 60 minutes but why should he only charge 120 baht?  Fuel is not the only cost of running a cab. 

So you think the driver should sit there for a loss if they cut the fare to a quarter? 

Wake up. This is the real world.

The drivers increase the running costs by poor driving. They drive as fast as they can which burns fuel faster and have to break hard as a result causing excessive wear on the breaks. Sitting in heavy traffic results in no wear of the breaks or tyres.

On 8/8/2017 at 7:56 AM, jacko45k said:

Is it relevant if they are refusing to use the meter anyhow, or even refusing the fare.?

I don't use taxis often, but I prefer the yellow over green taxis the few minor problems I had was with pink taxis. 

My rule is, no meter, no fare, broken meter bye bye. But I must admit once there were no taxis so I took a pink taxi from Big C extra on lasphrao with no meter to mall bangkapi for 65 baht. Less than the fare from my place at Soi 48. I paid him the usual ฿100. Just like I dislike being overcharged, I cannot cheat someone who works for a living. 

Edited by Grumpy Duck
Oopsie

On 8/8/2017 at 5:05 PM, SunsetT said:

Yes put prices up and encourage more people to use public transport reducing CO emmissions and improving air quality and public health.

Carbon dioxide is good for plant life. :thumbsup:

Carbon monoxide is bad for human life. 

On 08/08/2017 at 11:55 PM, Gas666 said:

I'd find 0.7L/hr hard to believe mate.

If it’s in neutral, it’s 0.7L/hour. If it’s in Drive with the brake on then double that.

• 3 months later...
I arrived at Don Meung this morning at 7:30 and took a taxi to Mochit Bus station. It took one hour because of traffic and it cost 220 baht. I then took the Korat bus which was back in front of the DM in 20 mins, and to add insult to injury it stopped outside the airport.....who knew? And the fare to Korat was 191 baht.....crazy world.
I certainly cannot understand living in BKK.....worse than LA.

What is there to "understand"? Bangkok is a capital city where most well-paying jobs are! It's no different to most metropolises except taxis are very cheap!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 8/8/2017 at 4:30 AM, webfact said:

the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning is considering a reduction in the speed limit along city roads from 80 kilometres per hour to 40, director Chaiwat Thongkhamkoon said yesterday.

not likely to change drivers' habits given lack of will to enforce traffic laws