Here is the new Australian embassy in Bangkok

12 hours ago, Monkeyrobot said:

I think it's surpose to resemble Ayres rock. Did not see any dingos ,maybe there out stealing babies,  couple of soi dogs should blend in. What a ugly building looks like a jailhouse.

Did you mean Uluru? 

More importantly did you mean supposed? 

13 minutes ago, csabo said:

Go climb the wall at the US embassy and split hairs with the Marines waiting for you on the "non foreign soil". Let us know if they share your opinion. 

I think you're getting "foreign soil" confused with immunity/diplomatic law.

Edited by Will27

4 minutes ago, csabo said:

Go climb the wall at the US embassy and split hairs with the Marines waiting for you on the "non foreign soil". Let us know if they share your opinion. 

I repeat, Embassies are not 'foreign soil'.

Do not know the opinion of the Marines, but certainly the ambassadors know the legal situation.

The status of embassies, and to some extent Consulates which lays down what the host country should do and not do with respect to access etc.

I would expect Embassy staff to protect their missions but , legally they are not on foreign soil. Fact.

18 hours ago, mfd101 said:

No, but security does require (1) robust build with blast-proof independent spaces and (2) clear sight all around the building. So eventual gardens will be well away from the building.

And don't forget that too much prettying-up and hordes of expats on this site will be complaining on how their money has been wasted on all those useless bureaucrats who only think of themselves and never serve the hardworking old men who want to pay less taxes but want more service ...

I'll comment on the last phrase

Why would i complain, I know their useless & one is much better of not to be a Citz. They would of paid millions alone just for the person saying this is how it will look (just by looking at a photo )

Australia does not give any incentives to work hard & long thats why one would want to pay less tax - It does not pay to earn alot of money in Auss

18 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Looks like the rest must be manning the parapets during working hours.......................:wink:

I think there's some confusion 

You would only get 6 in an Aussie office as there is always never any service in that country

17 hours ago, midasthailand said:

My understanding is that many years ago, even before 9/11 there was a plan to have a diplomatic enclave on the site of the old Military Prepatory School. After the Prep school moved to Nakhon Nayok the land was occupied by Suan Lum night markets. It took several years for the authorities to get rid of the night market vendors and I believe you will see more Embassies relocate to that vicinity.

The prevailing wisdom at the time was that it would be easier for the RTP to provide protection if all the embassies wee co-located...not sure if that is still the prevailing wisdom given the steep rise in terrorist attacks world wide over the last 20 years.

Wisdom and the RTP, sounds like an oxymoron to me :cheesy:

But I do understand what you're saying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/8/2017 at 10:32 AM, outlaw11wa said:

I agree this is a butt ass ugly piece of architecture that should be hidden wedged between other structures. In this open setting its like a boil on a back side. The Sth Sthorn premises was actually very impressive. Often thought "so that's where my tax dollars go"

Thanks for explaining the enormous number of people in the photo. In all the times I went to the Sth Sathorn Building it was strange almost deserted in the public areas. Seemed to be more people as security outside the building than staff anywhere in sight. In the times I went there, once thought the gates and up to the main building, I think I saw one security guy screening us into the secure (fish tank) and one lady screening you on to the foyer. Then not a soul in sight all the way up the stairs to the second floor. Once there it was just as empty. You walked past the ticket machine coz you knew you were number one, haha. So then you stand and look around - no one to be seen. You wander over to the chairs near the booths and sit down to wait.  A few minutes pass and you hear a noise. Out the corner of your eye, something moves. You walk over and peer into the booths along the opposite wall. They appear empty. Then the last one - there below counter height is an attendant shuffling papers. "Did you take a number?"

Exactly my experience ...my tg said , "Its beautiful , but nobody to be seen here !" I said that it was a lot like Australia.Why the new one?

On 8/8/2017 at 8:30 AM, ellathai said:

l spoke to them about paying there exorbitant fees in Australian cash, there answer was "  The Australian Embassy does not except Australian currency" what the <deleted>. Go figure 

Do they really not accept payments in AUD even with Aussie credit cards? The British Embassy certainly allows us Poms to pay for our income confirmation letters, etc in GBP with UK credit cards!