Retirement Visa

Hi

I hope to be in LOS from July 2007 on a year Non Im visa and then get a retirement visa in 2008 when I am fifty.

Can this application be done in Thailand, or do I have to return to the UK to apply? (Police checks etc)

Hi

I hope to be in LOS from July 2007 on a year Non Im visa and then get a retirement visa in 2008 when I am fifty.

Can this application be done in Thailand, or do I have to return to the UK to apply? (Police checks etc)

If you are in Thailand on a Non-Im O when you turn 50, you can apply for an extension of stay (1 year) at an immigration office in Thailand.

You need to show either 800k baht in an account in bank Thailand for at least 3 months before your appplication date or a letter from your Embassy stating you have income of more than 65.000 baht a month or a combination of both.

Application form, Photos, 1,900 baht fee, a statement letter from the bank stating the balance as well as the bank book or statements to back it up. Some immkigration officies will also want to see documents to support the Embassy letter if you go that way.

Some immigration officies might also still require the medical certificate although it seems Bangkok, Jomtien and Phuket do not anymore.

Good luck

Also a much simpler, quicker process when done in Thailand.

I wrote to UK November 6th 2006 to cash an insurance policy with Norwich Union.

Original letter not received so faxed a copy.

Money transferred eventually to my UK bank

Received funds here in UOB Bangkok Bank December 30th!

My visa expired next day so armed with a letter from the UOB Bank and passbook, arrived Suan Phlu Immigratin 13:30 and left with a 3-month extension 15:00.

Also Jack Golf returned my 1,000 Baht deposit for a trip that night to Laos. They reckoned the big bus was full and they would have no problem in filling my reserved seat.

Best of luck with your applicaiton.

Greetings.

I hope this is not taken to be a silly question !

Can a person working outside Thailand - say in Laos PDR - apply for a retirement visa in LOS ? The reason for making this retirement type application would be to enable me to move from Vientiane to LOS when I eventuallly give up paid emplyment, but in the meantime use the retirement visa to authorize my regularly trips back into thailand until then.

Any comments ??

Also a much simpler, quicker process when done in Thailand.

I wrote to UK November 6th 2006 to cash an insurance policy with Norwich Union.

Original letter not received so faxed a copy.

Money transferred eventually to my UK bank

Received funds here in UOB Bangkok Bank December 30th!

My visa expired next day so armed with a letter from the UOB Bank and passbook, arrived Suan Phlu Immigratin 13:30 and left with a 3-month extension 15:00.

Also Jack Golf returned my 1,000 Baht deposit for a trip that night to Laos. They reckoned the big bus was full and they would have no problem in filling my reserved seat.

Best of luck with your applicaiton.

The answer is yes. My across the street neighbor is an American working in the middle east and he spends about every other month here and every other month there. He is now on a non-imm O one year extention based on retirement and he advises immigration in Chiang Mai could care less if he is employed overseas.

They would care if he was employed in Thailand. I think he must get multiple entry permits for his many out and in trips to work.

PS. When I saw this posted, I saw lopburi3 had already answered your question while I was typing mine and the time stamp indicates a four minute time difference is our posts. I didn't think it took me that long to type a couple of paragraphs!!!

Edited by ProThaiExpat

Thank you to you both for that helpful information.

If you happen to stagger inti Vientiane in the tnext few months, look me up there and I'd be happy to buy you a beer or three

Thanks again

Roderick

The answer is yes. My across the street neighbor is an American working in the middle east and he spends about every other month here and every other month there. He is now on a non-imm O one year extention based on retirement and he advises immigration in Chiang Mai could care less if he is employed overseas.

They would care if he was employed in Thailand. I think he must get multiple entry permits for his many out and in trips to work.

PS. When I saw this posted, I saw lopburi3 had already answered your question while I was typing mine and the time stamp indicates a four minute time difference is our posts. I didn't think it took me that long to type a couple of paragraphs!!!