3BB fiber optic - pay for 100/30 but only get 30/25

manonthemon

As already mentioned, do a test with an ethernet cable to a local speedtest server.  And if you are making a 2.4Ghz Wifi connection then approx 30Mb download speed sounds about right due to bandwidth limitation of a 2.4Ghz connection.  Also, don't forget that maybe your phone is the chokepoint.   Just do a connection via etheret and check the speed again.   Your incoming 3BB 100/30 speed is probably fine; it's probably just your Wifi connection setup.

A decent 5gHz wifi connection will have no problem whatsoever getting your 100/30 speed - my Minix box is downstairs connects to an Asus wifi router upstairs on the 5gHz freq. and always gets the promised 100/30 with Ais on a local thai server speedtest.

The 'free' routers you get may not have such wide 5gHz coverage, but should be ok for the same room to test - just make sure you are on a 5gHz connection and a local server, the Ookla speedtest will usually search and select one in Thailand for you.

16 minutes ago, bberrythailand said:

So nobody can get more than 30mb with a 2.4 router ?

Sure....you can get more than 30Mb with a 40Mhz bandwidth setting, a router with a high quality 2.4Ghz circuit and a computer/smartphone/etc., with high high quality 2.4Ghz, you are very close to the router, and have minimum interference from other nearby 2.4Ghz signals.   I could get a hair over 100Mb with my ASUS router and my computer.   All the stars lined up.  But another router, (a cheap router), I had I could could only get a hair over 50Mb on 2.4Ghz.

Many routers that internet providers handout still come with only 2.4Ghz capability....like the primary Hauwei HG8245H fiber optics router that came with my AIS Fibre plan (although AIS did provided me a second 5Ghz router to plug into Huawei so I could do 5GHz and get a faster Wifi connection).   And I know from friends that 3BB use to hand out the Hauwei HG8245H router also....don't know if they still do.

I expect the OP is just making a 2.4GHz connection with the router bandwidth set to 20MHz (good up to around 25-30Mb speed) vs a 40MHz (good to around 50Mb or more).

I have the same problem. I pay for 200, and i get 10. When i call it gets back to 200, and then after a day or two back to 10 again. Perhaps the sell our capacity on the "black market" or perhaps they have oversell and keep moving the capacity around. The 10 is to neat number, and i have still my 100 in upload. Probably some kind of corruption is going on.

6 hours ago, coops said:

the Ookla speedtest will usually search and select one in Thailand for you.

I have found and also read on this site that the "Ookla Speed Test" is a complete waste of time.

I have found that it is recommended by Thai providers, as it overstates the speeds by 10 times and sometimes higher.

Try some other speed test tests there are many free ones about and also look to testing outside of Thailand, is my suggestion. 

4 minutes ago, GR8fun in LOS said:

I have found and also read on this site that the "Ookla Speed Test" is a complete waste of time.

I have found that it is recommended by Thai providers, as it overstates the speeds by 10 times and sometimes higher.

Try some other speed test tests there are many free ones about and also look to testing outside of Thailand, is my suggestion. 

"....as it overstates by 10 times and sometimes higher."

No it don't.  This means my 100/10mb plan should report 1000/100Mb, but unfortunately it reports a hair over 100/10Mb just like I pay for.   Ookla based speed  testers are just fine and are usually multithread/stream-based....and now days many of the tasks you perform on the interest are done my multithreading, except video streaming which is usually single-thread operation.

3 minutes ago, Oztruckie said:

I was advised by guys from pulse-tv from whom I purchased an Android box,if u want an accurate speed test go to Speedof.me they stated ookla is not a good reliable accurate check of yr internet speeds.

Speedof.me is a "single-thread" tester and since you bought an Android box I expect that is mostly for video streaming which is usually a single-thread operation.  

There are both multithread testers and single thread testers....both have their proposes and measure differently....not in-accurately....just differently.   

On my AIS Fibre 100/10 plan speedof.me reports an approx 20-25Mb download speed since AIS Fibre limits single threads to approx 20Mb.  But test on a multithread tester (like an Ookla basaed tester, etc) which will use 2 to 8 threads I get 102Mb download speed.   Both testers are accurate; it's just both are measuring differently.

If a person wants to, they can use the DSL Reports speedtesters and select the number of threads to use from 1 to 6 and you'll see how it affects your speeds....more threads used, more speed.

And a person must take into consideration where they are testing to, domestically or internationally.

2 hours ago, GR8fun in LOS said:

No.

And as far as your quoted speed - that ONLY applies IN Thailand - the total bandwidth out of Thailand is not big enough  to possibly provide everyone with their quoted speeds at all time or even part of the time.... hence why Ookla is just fine for testing your inside Thailand speed.

They have some other servers, but seemed to be more Asia, and so much slower (Vietnam for example).

On the other hand, out of interest I did a Google speed test to a server in the USA and got a surprisingly decent download speed at that time of ~50 Mb/s... naturally it will vary greatly.

You can always use

http://speedtest.googlefiber.net

Just did it from my laptop on a 5 gHz Asus wifi with AIS fibre, and got 94.1/9.2 to Atlanta - which is nice. (The 2.4Ghz happened to be 78/16).

And Ookla Beta on a macbook does near as makes no difference 100 down to a couple of bangkok servers - as it does to my Minix box over 5gHz Oookla to a Bangkok server.

7 hours ago, bberrythailand said:

So nobody can get more than 30mb with a 2.4 router ?

A True (who everybody love to hate) supplied ZTE 2.4 wi-fi router with a basic 50/20 plan.

Desktop wi-fi & a medium price Android phone wi-fi using a local server.

image.png.98f1c516f95ef8e2b20d43e1efbec1c6.png

image.png

13 minutes ago, coops said:

You can always use

http://speedtest.googlefiber.net

Just did it from my laptop on a 5 gHz Asus wifi with AIS fibre, and got 94.1/9.2 to Atlanta - which is nice. (The 2.4Ghz happened to be 78/16).

Just for comparison to your AIS Fibre 100/10, here is what my AIS Fibre 100/10 did using above speedtest which tests to Atlanta when testing via a 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz Wifi connections.   I expect the Google Fiber speedtester is an HTML5 based tester....and it's definitely a multi-thread tester.   

5GHz Wifi Results Below

Capture5Ghz.JPG.9b74fb916b9b36ca30a6170f77603f36.JPG

2.4GHz Wifi Results Below. Note the upload speed of  around 25Mb vs the plan's rated 10Mb.  That's because of the upload bursting on AIS Fibre which can be up to approx 3 times the normal upload speed for a "short period."  Although the the 5Ghz test above was bursting also during the test up to a little over 30Mb, for whatever reason it rolled off down to around 10.5Mb during the later part of the test and therefore resulted in a 10.5Mb speed test upload.  However, on the 2.4Ghz Wifi connection the bursting continued pretty much through the test giving a 25Mb upload speed.  This Google Fiber speedtester doesn't run the test for very long....about the shortest time I've seen in tester so it captures the bursting in the final result....most testers run a longer test and the bursting samples fall out of the final results.   Different speed testers,  different results.

Capture24.JPG.4bb8e0c04387700d7b235176c9b83cc4.JPG

ISPs should print brochures that explain why the heck wifi speed can't provide max. package speed and deliver with the modem/router.

In my homecountry, so many people complain about not getting full speed via wifi (but they say they can get via ethernet, doh!) and blame the supplied router/modem etc or blame the ISP. 

I realize not everybody is tech savvy and they don't realize wi-fi is shared air-spectrum, extremely thin walls (10cm <deleted>) in Thailand does not help either. Even in a townhouse, I get atleast 15 wifi signals from first floor, more in second floor.

I hope one does not use 40 mhz on 2.4 ghz spectrum unless living in a village or something. I'd be pissed if one of my neighbours wasted 2 channel in already crowded 2.4 ghz band. 5ghz AC is all you need for higher speed. Thats how I'm streaming bluray remuxes of 50gb from upstairs (where router is) to downstairs mini pc / htpc.

• 3 months later...

I've been with 3BB for 7 years & have just upgraded to the 100/30 fibre package from my long suffering 13/0.5 ADSL one, which started out as 6/0.5 many moons ago.

I didn't think to perform a test on my mobile but the best result from 3 tests over the last 10 mins is 41/35.

Here's the best result from my desktop, connected via WIFI, located a few metres from the router:

6864576884.png

Online teaching to various locations in China:

6847420446.png

Calling home (UK) via Skype:

6839860678.png

It seems that the download speed is variable, depending on device & location, but the upload speed is almost constant...

On 10/08/2017 at 4:26 PM, GR8fun in LOS said:

Not so long ago I had the real 3BB experts here, and they managed to get speed test result of 150 Mbps on my 30/10 VDSL connection.

I forget the name of the test site, I've posted it somewhere on this forum at the time of the event.

VDSL over copper wire isn't even able to carry 150 Mbps, but they managed it on my 30 Mbps package.

8 hours ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

I've been with 3BB for 7 years & have just upgraded to the 100/30 fibre package from my long suffering 13/0.5 ADSL one, which started out as 6/0.5 many moons ago.

I didn't think to perform a test on my mobile but the best result from 3 tests over the last 10 mins is 41/35.

Here's the best result from my desktop, connected via WIFI, located a few metres from the router:

6864576884.png

Online teaching to various locations in China:

6847420446.png

Calling home (UK) via Skype:

6839860678.png

It seems that the download speed is variable, depending on device & location, but the upload speed is almost constant...

Can you Wifi connection even do 100Mb?   You might want to rerun the tests with an ethernet connection.   If you do not get 100Mb to a local server I would call 3BB as you should be getting (and you are paying for) at 100Mb connection.   If you are using a 2.4GHz band Wifi connection its probably going to be hard to achieve 100Mb throughput; but with a 5Ghz band Wifi connection it should be very easy to achieve a 100Mb Wifi connection.

Since the upload test is  being pushed out and primarily controlled by your router vs a far off server somewhere it's common for a person upload speed to achieve full or pretty good upload speed to most any server.   Plus the upload speed is usually significantly lower than the download speed of a person's internet plan so it's easier to achieve full/near full upload speed.

On 12/10/2017 at 9:14 AM, Pib said:

Can you Wifi connection even do 100Mb?   You might want to rerun the tests with an ethernet connection.   If you do not get 100Mb to a local server I would call 3BB as you should be getting (and you are paying for) at 100Mb connection.   If you are using a 2.4GHz band Wifi connection its probably going to be hard to achieve 100Mb throughput; but with a 5Ghz band Wifi connection it should be very easy to achieve a 100Mb Wifi connection.

This is the latest from the desktop.

6873031682.png

TBH I'm quite happy with it...

Archived