More traffic chaos coming to Pattaya as cable work set to begin

snoop1130

Let me see if I have this right.

The object of the tunnel was/is to allow the 'through' traffic to avoid the Klang intersection. So, after the great day on 25th when the ribbon is cut, the through traffic from the Nua end will run into the obstacle of all those cars queuing to make a 'U' turn back up the other side to get on Klang.

As I've observed before, when setting out from the darkside to go shopping etc. in Pattaya, one really does not know what adventures lye in wait.

I am sure they will open the Klang junction on top when the tunnel opens. The problem before was that, without the tunnel being open, the amount of traffic coming over the top was causing chaos with traffic also going into and out of Klang. A gap does keep appearing in the barrier to get across into Klang for motorbikes but, with the traffic flying down Suk northbound at the moment, it is a real game of chicken.

Rather than going up to the u-turn after Khao Noi you can also do the u-turn at Klang that is open then cut through the Index car park through a Welcome Town into Klang.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, emilymat said:

I think it must all be done on purpose.

Today, I had some visitors from up north and I live on the darkside - the end of Siam Country Club Road. I said I would show them the way to Pattaya Klang, given you have to follow a diversion on SCC road, due to two years of disruption.

Anyway, we eventually got to the end of SCC Raod at the junction to Sukhumvit. I assured them the rest would be easy until, to my horror and embarrassment, the exit into Klang had been closed!, presumably to discourage traffic during the cable laying,

I simply could not grasp why they have decided to rip up Klang now we are near the opening of the tunnel.  Why, oh why, could it have not been done earlier when Klang traffic was light due to the construction of the tunnel???  

As I said, apart from being really pi..ed off, I think they must do it on purpose to keep traffic congestion/confusion as a permanent feature.

Really inexcusable that this work wasn't done at the same time as the tunnel project.

Another thought about running down (under) the middle of the road:  Are they also running the TV and telephone cables with it?  If so, it might not be so easy to get a new ADSL or fibre optic cable run to an address on that street -- will they need to dig up the road to do so? :huh:

It just gets better and better. You wait. Someone in the PEA on Friday or Monday will announce that it will delay the cable dig (because some higher-up told them on the QT  there's a big announcement on the 25th to open up the junction, much to the surprise of the PEA. LOL). 

On 11/08/2017 at 10:57 PM, gk10002000 said:

Boy a lot of shops are going to be surprised.  I have seen lots of "T" connections, splices etc.  Putting meters in as they go?  And while buried cables are quite common, my faith in the Thai electrical companies is low.  Lots of rainwater and routine flooding there.

Maybe they will use indoor cable for underground, now that would be fun

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:49 PM, cumgranosalus said:

in the middle of the road? Is that normal for these sort of cables? how can they be accessed for any service or repairs?

It seems though that whatever road or infrastructure work is carried out on Thailand in general scant regard is given to the ramifications.

Businesses, road users (inc pedestrians) are in general just left to find their own way around the problems.

Safety issues, road cones and diversions seem to be an anathema to these folk.

From the other thread about it, the only cables being installed are high tension ones, which sort of makes sense.

It occurs to me that with ( probably ) work about to start on the next underpass on Sukhumvit, things are going to get REALLY BAD, traffic wise.

Big C, Homepro etc are going to be fuming.

19 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

From the other thread about it, the only cables being installed are high tension ones, which sort of makes sense.

It occurs to me that with ( probably ) work about to start on the next underpass on Sukhumvit, things are going to get REALLY BAD, traffic wise.

Big C, Homepro etc are going to be fuming.

Home WORKS (not Home pro) next to Big C are closing down.

one wonders why the underpass hasn't opened yet - I get the feeling that some terrible engineering blunder has been made and they are looking for a way to say the tunnel is a white elephant without losing face - maybe it will neer open? Just a monument to Pattaya town planning?

2 hours ago, cumgranosalus said:

Home WORKS (not Home pro) next to Big C are closing down.

Homeworks is located next to Big C South Pattaya. Home Pro is located next to Big C Extra on Pattaya Klang.

What does what's happening at big C South Pattaya have to do with the discussion regarding roadworks in Pattaya Klang?:blink:

On 11/08/2017 at 1:40 PM, wpcoe said:

Interesting.  I never gave it much thought, but I assumed the cables would be under the sidewalks where easy access would be.  Live and learn.

Don't be silly... This Is Thailand. :cheesy: