Problem Using South African Cheque Card

Hi there,

I've recently moved to Thailand from South Africa, I bank with FNB (First National Bank) 

I have opened both my Cheque & Credit card for use in Thailand.

I paid for my hotel with my credit card and had no issue. 

Today I popped into 7/11 and wanted to buy 2 items totaling 45 Baht, I tried paying with my Cheque card (Which is VISA) and the lady at the till said I cannot.

Any reason why this may be? Is it just 7/11? Does the value of the purchase need to be over a certain amount?

Side Note: I don't think the problem is the card (Cheque) my girlfriend extended our hotel stay by 1 night and paid with her cheque card.

Edited by Masove

I don't know about 7-11 but many stores have a minimum limit in the Bt300 to Bt500 ball park for use of cards.

Bt45 is pocket change and probably too low of an amount.  I expect they had a sign somewhere indicating the minimum amount.

This Jun 17 post indicates 7-11 has a minimum Bt300 use level for Visa cards.

Edited by Pib

23 hours ago, Pib said:

I don't know about 7-11 but many stores have a minimum limit in the Bt300 to Bt500 ball park for use of cards.

Bt45 is pocket change and probably too low of an amount.  I expect they had a sign somewhere indicating the minimum amount.

This Jun 17 post indicates 7-11 has a minimum Bt300 use level for Visa cards.

Okay thanks.

Where I come from, I used my card for every single purchase I made, regardless of amount, purely because of convenience.