US Thai groups to demand bodies’ retrieval

webfact

A post containing a link to Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Xaos said:

Shouldn't being rescuer team member mean you took this job with all risks attached?

For example by coal mines theres rescue teams, when something blows under, tumble, ppl are trapped, they go right away, no matter what, thats whats they are paid for.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Are you aware that we are not talking of rescue in this case ?

- We are talking of retrieving dead bodies.

That's not worth to risk another life. Even if it is a Thai life (sarcasm off)

Edited by sweatalot

12 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

One would think that, being resident in the US, they would have a more intelligent idea of how things work there. Usually with issues in mind such as safety, something that isn't normally factored into Thai thinking.

You can not teach common sense, people are born with it ,  or not as the case may be with most Thais.

13 minutes ago, oldgent said:

I say a very BIG well done to the SAR Thai team who rescued the Dutch lady in Pai

and it only took 30 minutes 

Was it from a deep, steep canyon and a raging wildwater- river of close-to-zero-temperature?

Kudos, nonetheless.

You are still a troll!

Strange twist to this story:  This could be a separate post but a new development has come up in the last 14 hours. There is a great possibility of another car and a couple from China that  went off the road into the canyon near the same location. As reported in a local newspaper (link at bottom) a couple from China went missing August 6th.  Here's the excerpt:

Yinan Wang, 31, and his wife Jie Song, 30, were last seen about 2 p.m. Aug. 6 at the junction of Crystal Cave Road and the Generals Highway. They were scheduled to stay a night in Fresno before going to Yosemite and then back home to San Diego on Aug. 9.  The couple, who are both Chinese nationals, were driving a white Ford Focus.

An off duty Sheriffs Deputy while watching the news spotted a license plate in the brush at the same location of the Thais accident. He realized that plate did not match the Thais Red car but came back to a White Ford Focus the Chinese couple was driving.  Helicopter pilots have reported seeing a large white object under water near the scene of the Red car.

How's this for a twist of fate? Now they are looking to the possibilities of recovering 4 bodies if the sighting is true.  With all the news coverage some news crew was just taking pictures and in one of the pictures the license plate showed up. The Deputy spotted it.  Go figure the chances of this.

Edited by Mrjlh
added link

@oldgent , you sound like a broken clock in this thread, always asking the same questions even though they've been answered earlier.

Let me try to answer all in one place to make it easier (note, quotes aren't your exact words, I'm paraphrasing)

Have they no consideration for the family?

I'm sure they have, and they probably know that it's a really difficult situation for those families. But do you think it is worth risking lives to cater for people's feelings?

But then what about the Firefigthers in the twin towers? They risked their lives.

There's a huge difference between risking a life to save a life, compared to risking a life to give closure to a family. It's definitely a tragic situation but I hope you can see the difference there.

Why do they say it's too dangerous if they don't even try?

This is what you've been repeating the most.
The answer is: because they're experts... They don't need to try to know the risk.

Can you see the flaw in your logic here? How do you know you'll die if you jump from that skyscraper if you haven't tried? Well, because you can assess the situation and use your previous experiences and knowledge to determine the most likely outcome without trying.
That's what these people have done: they went on site, looked at everything, and decided that the conditions make the retrieval way too risky for now.

I understand it's aggravating for the families to add this wait to the loss of their loved ones, but I strongly believe there is nothing more than carefully evaluated risk without any prejudice related to nationality or race.

9 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Was it from a deep, steep canyon and a raging wildwater- river of close-to-zero-temperature?

Kudos, nonetheless.

You are still a troll!

that, your opinion and im sure you will get back up soon.

America put men on the moon and they can,t rescue a car from a river,

now they have 2 cars. now more families grieve.

1 hour ago, oldgent said:

Now there are two cars in the river. And yes, it is all the Americans ' fault.

They put  men on the moon so they should be able to do everything and there is no danger for them.

May be they should also be able to wake up the dead?

And may be - wake you up?

Edited by sweatalot

I implicitly trust the US authorities judgment on this. As I would if it were in Japan, Korea or any other developed country's authorities saying it was too dangerous to risk their lives to recover bodies.

Call me crazy, but if it were people I loved who had died like this, I would absolutely not want anyone risking their lives to get them. No more loss of life. 

As for the people who think they could be doing more (Thai or otherwise) you're coming across as deluded, selfish and arrogantly nationalistic (for the Thais) and using it as a way to beat your chest in some weird nationalistic and narcissistic way. Let's use 'common sense' - a culture the whole world should be proud to call theirs. 

3 hours ago, oldgent said:

The families just have to deal with it.

4 hours ago, jybkk said:

Can you see the flaw in your logic here? How do you know you'll die if you jump from that skyscraper if you haven't tried? Well, because you can assess the situation and use your previous experiences and knowledge to determine the most likely outcome without trying.

From your last comment I see you do not grasp the flaw in your logic, but then I also expect you to think you can jump from a skyscraper and survive, especially if you land on your head.

40 minutes ago, Jonah Tenner said:

The families just have to deal with it.

From your last comment I see you do not grasp the flaw in your logic, but then I also expect you to think you can jump from a skyscraper and survive, especially if you land on your head.

now who,s repeating theirself. it,s you that has a flaw in your logic jumping off skyscrapers indead.

On 8/14/2017 at 2:27 PM, oldgent said:

if they are as professional as you say then if they had tried they would have known for sure it was not safe.

I posted before on this and quote... if this was a High ranking American would things be different.

That would be a high ranking 'dead' American, right?

On 8/14/2017 at 2:40 PM, oldgent said:

and you are 100% sure they were dead  you don,t know what you are talking about

We are not 100% sure of anything except it is too dangerous to attempt a recovery. Don't bring up 100%; we don't know if it was an accident yet.

On 8/14/2017 at 11:58 AM, mtls2005 said:

Now, after hearing them whine so much, I'm kind of leaning towards allowing them sending over a team of Thai rescuers.

At least in USA they won't need a work permit to do the 'rescue'  quite frankly, the locals know more abou the rivers than the Thais ever will, so its just a fc saving episode if I ever saw one.  "Trust us, we are Thai, we can do anything"