Phuket ‘700km’ tsunami escape sign under fire

snoop1130

Phuket ‘700km’ tsunami escape sign under fire

1502697814_1-org.jpg

The sign indicates that safety from a tsunami striking Phuket lies 700km away. Photo: Sarayuth Mallam

PHUKET:-- A leading Phuket tourism figure has called into question how a tsunami-evacuation sign beside a major Phuket municipality office has been posted marking the escape safe zone is “700km” away.

The sign is posted beside the busy three-way intersection at the southern end of Rawai beach, right in front of the Rawai Municipality offices.

Sarayuth Mallam, a Vice President of the Phuket Tourist Association, highlighted the sign with a post on Facebook, noting that the sign had invoked much derision from comments online.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-700km-tsunami-escape-sign-under-fire-63453.php#ei3hDEAue7yiMYAI.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-8-14

What? they are just now getting to it?  I brought this to their attention 10 years ago 2007 when I lived there!  Talk about slow.  There's more than one sign too. I'll see if I can find the pictures I took.

Bigger question is why has it taken 13 years for them to realise?

And even bigger point to this story is 'The push comes after DDPM Deputy Director-General Kobchai Boonyaorana late last month revealed that of the 19 “facilities” in Phuket, 11 are “out of order”.'

Come again?