3BB Promotion!! 100/30 fibre for 700THB/month

Tapster

23 minutes ago, Tapster said:

@stupidfarang

Look at post #26. 

I was asked to pay 800 THB for the router. I had read somewhere that the installation charge was 2000 THB and so I queried the 800 but the lady at the shop seemed certain that there was nothing more to pay. I paid the 800 at the 3BB shop. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this doesn't change on installation day! 

The modem/router is 2200 Baht, which you can see from below link, and which was confirmed to me by 3BB just the other day.

https://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/product/internet_package/2

I'm afraid you were fooled into another VDSL package, because the price for a VDSL router is 800 Baht.

Usually when you pay for the router they give it to your right away.

Keep in mind that in this country are about 65 million incompetents

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all depends on the particular ISP and package promotion being offered. But in general...

It's pretty common for 3BB and AIS to offer free installation (charge no installation fee) with their fiber signups. And oftentimes a free fiber modem/router or just paying a small, supposedly refundable security deposit for it (as opposed to purchasing it outright).

They do this because a) there's a lot of competition for new customers and b] you're typically agreeing to at least a 1 year minimum service commitment with them.

There also can be some extra charges for installation if the fiber run they need to make from their nearest access point to your home is longer in meters distance than their standard provision.

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am on a VDSL 30/10 link at 630 thb inc vat and I have just done a speed test to Los Angles.

ADSL speed test.doc

I'm also on the 3BB 30/10 VDSL.

A speedtest to 3BB test server in Bangkok tells me that I have an upload speed of 4.8Mb.

A speedtest with that ADSL Thailand to Los Angeles gives me 5.6Mb upload.

Now you tell me how that is possible. :smile:

2 hours ago, tomas557 said:

A speedtest to 3BB test server in Bangkok tells me that I have an upload speed of 4.8Mb.

Now you tell me how that is possible. 

Probably because speed tests are erratic at best.

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

Not sure, because the 3BB test is pretty steady, always giving a result that is less than 5% different, so if I get a steady 25% more upload to a server 10K miles away then I have my doubts

5 hours ago, tomas557 said:

I'm also on the 3BB 30/10 VDSL.

Now you tell me how that is possible. :smile:

I have no idea but I suggest that you find as many speedtest site as you can and log the results over a week, perhaps 3 times a day at the same times to the same places and go back to 3BB with a print out of the results.

You may not get anywhere locally but pester their call centre every day.

I used to be on TOT WiNet and I logged every time it dropped out and complained regularly to the call centre. Eventually they changed the routing and the microwave links and a couple of times they simply scrapped the bill for the month.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

ADSL Thailand was the speed test I used and it worked fine for me.

I use that link about once a month and the results are pretty much the same every time.

I have not come across any erratic results and if I did I would simply run the test again.

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

ADSL Thailand was the speed test I used and it worked fine for me.

I use that link about once a month and the results are pretty much the same every time.

I have not come across any erratic results and if I did I would simply run the test again.

You have to be careful when using speed test websites as to whether their testing method measures a single thread, like you'd use for video streaming, or multiple threads like could be used for downloading. Many of the common speed test sites use multiple threads.

One site that by default uses just a single stream/thread to measure your results is testmy.net, and you can pick your server location/country (US, Europe, Singapore, Japan, etc) for the test in the upper right corner of their website.

14 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have no idea but I suggest that you find as many speedtest site as you can and log the results over a week, perhaps 3 times a day at the same times to the same places and go back to 3BB with a print out of the results.

You may not get anywhere locally but pester their call centre every day.

I used to be on TOT WiNet and I logged every time it dropped out and complained regularly to the call centre. Eventually they changed the routing and the microwave links and a couple of times they simply scrapped the bill for the month.

They are on it already.

Yesterday I had a team of high ranking 3BB engineers at my place for 6 hours.

They used the Nperf website to do their tests, which looks exactly the same as the ADSL Thailand test site.

They would get a higher download speed to UK than to Bangkok, and couldn't understand why I considered the test site a fake.

On the Nperf site you can select the 3BB test server in Bangkok, and I would get a staggering 150 Mb download, on my 30 Mb package

It's 800 baht for the router...  and includes installation ...

I just had mine installed yesterday... and all seems fine,  after ordering last Saturday. Over 60 meters of line.

When I inquired at the Samui 3BB shop, the guys said it would be 2200 baht for the router.... the girl last month had already told me it would be 800 baht.  When I questioned the 2200 baht the guys looked at each other and said yes, 800 baht!  (100 / 30 option 700 baht a month which seems fine) .

So stand ground on the 800 baht!

3 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

I just had mine installed yesterday... and all seems fine,  after ordering last Saturday. Over 60 meters of line.

When I inquired at the Samui 3BB shop, the guys said it would be 2200 baht for the router.... the girl last month had already told me it would be 800 baht.  When I questioned the 2200 baht the guys looked at each other and said yes, 800 baht!  (100 / 30 option 700 baht a month which seems fine) .

Nice try but no cigar.

On 8/24/2017 at 5:07 AM, Tapster said:

@stupidfarang

Just been to the local 3bb shop, my wife spoke to the staff about the 100/20 fiber (we have 50/20 at present) the staff said 800thb was the cost, and 749thb per month (includes tax) which is what we pay now, includes the router and there are no other costs involved so we were told. We originally were told over the phone 2,200thb so was surprised now only 800thb so we have paid and it will be up an running in two weeks. Will be keeping a close eye on what router we get, fingers crossed 

On 8/20/2017 at 0:20 AM, Tapster said:

So, on Friday I went into my local 3BB shop and signed up for the 100/30 service. 

It was very simple and they said I'd have to wait up to one month for installation because the promotion was so popular. No problem. 

I paid 800 THB for the modem-router and was assured that there were no other installation charges. 

The modem-router is made by Fiberhome and isn't cutting edge. The wireless router is single band, at 2.4GHz.

I will use Cat6 network cable to connect the 3BB router to a new dual band AC1900 (speed rating) wireless router which should maximise the wireless speed available. 

Can't wait! 

Hi, have gone for the same deal, can you let me know more about the dual band AC1900 router? what brand, how much is it doing what you want speed wise? Thank you in advance

On 8/24/2017 at 5:44 AM, Tapster said:

@tomas557

I have all the paperwork for the fibre package. 

The modem-router I was shown was definitely for fibre and not VDSL. 

We'll just have to wait and see. 

Can you confirm they have given you a modem-router for fibre and not VDSL, as I said on my other message to you, I have gone with the same deal, just have to wait two weeks for the installation, would like to be prepared in advance with what you get.

8 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

can you confirm what type of router they installed? VDSL or Fibre. Can you upload a photo of the router they installed? Have gone with the same deal and they will install in two weeks time, paid 800thb

4 minutes ago, Tapster said:

@stupidfarang

They didn't give me the modem-router to take away, however it's this model:

http://flytec.com.py/download/files/AN5506-04F-manual.pdf

It's made by Fiberhome and is definitely a fibre modem and 2.4GHz wireless router.

:biggrin:

Thank you for the fast reply, will you use the one supplied or go for the one you mentioned in a posting? dual band AC1900 (speed rating) wireless router. Am just trying to work out what is best

My understanding is that you have to go with the one they supply, because it has the modem in it...............but you don't have to use the wireless router part of their modem-router.

Their unit has network cable sockets in the back so you can hardwire your own fancy wireless router to one of those and get the maximum bandwidth supplied to your own router, thus not being restricted by their wireless router being only single-band (2.4GHz).

On 20/08/2017 at 6:20 AM, Tapster said:

It was very simple and they said I'd have to wait up to one month for installation because the promotion was so popular. No problem.

Could it be that you have to wait 1 month because Fibre is not installed in your area yet?

In August 2016 I was told by the technical adminsistration of 3BB, not your average 3BB shop clerck, that I would have Fibre by October 2016 at the last.

Last week I was told by the very same lady that it would happen in the next 6 months.

On 8/25/2017 at 5:05 PM, stupidfarang said:

can you confirm what type of router they installed? VDSL or Fibre. Can you upload a photo of the router they installed? Have gone with the same deal and they will install in two weeks time, paid 800thb

Yes fibre for sure: I watched them use a special splicer to add to the router.

Quite honestly no better than the ADSL line I had b4, which was never a problem, just will save 200 baht or a month. I've not gotten around to testing the wifi signal range...yet...

3BB told me 10 days to install, but did it in 5 days of ordering. :wink:

wz9VQcGHbEi9kgq7KkBkssL8YLxdeJhze_q4PPSe

5 minutes ago, samuijimmy said:

Quite honestly no better than the ADSL line I had b4, which was never a problem, just will save 200 baht or a month. I've not gotten around to testing the wifi signal range...yet...

So your 100/30 Fibre connection is not an improvement over your 18/1.8 ADSL?

Says a lot about the quality of 3BB.

Can't wait for the next news story that brags that Thailand has the best and fastest internet network in the world.

1 minute ago, tomas557 said:

So your 100/30 Fibre connection is not an improvement over your 18/1.8 ADSL?

Says a lot about the quality of 3BB.

Can't wait for the next news story that brags that Thailand has the best and fastest internet network in the world.

Perhaps the other choices not sure 100/50 or might be better ?... but I see no point in paying for what I don't need it serves the Television IPTV and two computers (sometimes) at a time....

3BB is great on service... definitely no complaints with them .... that does say a lot... customer care is good.

@stupidfarang and everyone..............

tl;dr   it's worth getting a new router to maximise your internet speed!

While I'm waiting for the fibre to be installed, my new wireless router arrived from Invade IT in Hua Hin:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/tp-link/archer-c9-ac1900-wireless-dual-band-gigabit-router-p022041/

This is the best in the AC1900 speed class, for the money. I'm going to hardwire it to the fibre modem, to maximise wireless speeds.

Remember, I'm on 3BB 50/20 VDSL at the moment.

I hardwired the new router to my existing 3BB VDSL modem and the speed increase was spectacular!!!

First photo: speed test with ten-year-old wireless router.

Second photo: speed test with new dual band router.

Conclusion..............it's worth getting a new router as technology improves, even if you don't update your line speed.

Now I'm waiting to see how much faster the fibre is.       :biggrin:

Old network adapter (1).png

New network adapter and new router (2).png

23 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

Thank you for the photo, I was interested to see what the router looked like, I am hoping there will be an improvement. I am on the 3bb 50/20 and it is okay, can watch movies and the internet. It is not as fast as the fibre I have in the UK but for Thailand  it is good. May as well have the faster speed for the same price I am paying now.

4 hours ago, Tapster said:

While I'm waiting for the fibre to be installed, my new wireless router arrived from Invade IT in Hua Hin:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/tp-link/archer-c9-ac1900-wireless-dual-band-gigabit-router-p022041/

This is the best in the AC1900 speed class, for the money. I'm going to hardwire it to the fibre modem, to maximise wireless speeds.

I hardwired the new router to my existing 3BB VDSL modem and the speed increase was spectacular!!!

Conclusion..............it's worth getting a new router as technology improves, even if you don't update your line speed.

Thanks for the info and the photos. I have a 15 month old 3bb router and I am getting on average 60MBPS download and 20Mbps down load (see photo) and I am on 50/20 plan but have gone for the 100/30 as it is the same price as what I am paying now. Note that I live in a small city so am not so far from the telephone exchange. I will see what the speeds are once I have the new router and they have up the internet plan and will give my feed back.

speed test.pdf

25 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

Thank you for the photo, I was interested to see what the router looked like, I am hoping there will be an improvement. I am on the 3bb 50/20 and it is okay, can watch movies and the internet. It is not as fast as the fibre I have in the UK but for Thailand  it is good. May as well have the faster speed for the same price I am paying now.

As said,  it's just as good as the ASDL line I have had for years, perhaps 5 or 6 years?? after the 800 baht is taken off it will be 200 baht a month cheaper... which is why I changed....

I have never had problems with movies or any telly buffering,  even with the old line... my neighbour too who just got back from the States says her ADSL service is better here than she found in NY. .

Obviously, some service may vary around Thailand, I do know that 3 BB (Samui) spent millions putting in an undersea cable a few years back... which seems to have proven well for them. :thumbsup:

Oh checked the Wifi on the laptop today, it goes about 3 times further... not that I am likely to use in the garden! :smile:

OMG!

Fibre is here!

The men arrived at 11:00 am and were gone by 11:45.

It was a very neat job.

They used the  3BB fibre router that I described in a post above.

There was no extra fee. I paid only 800 THB for this installation and router; paid at the 3BB shop.

They left us with these speeds - see images below.

The top one is my office desktop, 10 metres from my new dual-band AC1900 wireless router, and through two unavoidable walls. It is connected to the 2.4 Ghz network of the router.

The lower one is my phone , close to my AC1900 router, connected to the 5GHz network of the router.

I'm extremely happy with the speed.

I just did a test, downloading 35GB of data from the internet.

It took 30 minutes, with an average download speed of 7 megabytes per second.

How could I not be happy with that!

:biggrin:

Speed test after Fibre installed. Yay!.png

Phone speed test after fibre installed.png

On 8/27/2017 at 2:37 AM, Tapster said:

So - as an optimistic and total noob - if I get the fiber router (as planned anyway) and connect this USB3 dual-band 11ac  adapter to my laptop, will it mean I'll get better DL rates that simply using the laptop's built-in WiFi?

(Gotta be a snagg with this simplistic plan . . . )

Archived