3BB Promotion!! 100/30 fibre for 700THB/month

Tapster

We live in Rawai, Phuket.

Our internet is VDSL from 3BB. The rated speed is something like 30/10 or maybe 50/20, I can't remember. 

I wanted to check which package we have (as I clearly can't remember the speed), so I went to the 3BB site and came across this promotion of Fibre 100/30 for the same money that I'm paying for VDSL: 700THB/month.
Changing over seems like a no-brainer. The installation fee appears to be 2,000 THB.

Advice from fibre users, please:

- Is 3BB fibre, fibre all the way to your house?

- Will 3BB supply a new modem as part of the installation?

- If I can't afford a new wireless router straight away, will my old router just cap the higher fibre speed, or do I have to buy a new router?

- 3BB call this a promotion. Will the price ever shoot up?
The website says cryptically, "* Apply within 31 to 60 can get a promotion. Lifetime"

Does this mean that I can get the price fixed for a while, if I apply by a certain date? I can't make sense of it.

- Is it quicker to apply online or to go to a 3BB shop?

Many thanks for any assistance.       :smile:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, thenewgoo said:

I took this promotion on - very happy. I had to get new router (free), pay 2000 baht for something. It was all a bit confusing as my wife dealt with them and all in Thai, but we got there quite quickly. Happy high speed times now.

Where are you located?

Whenever I dealt with 3 BB, they said "up to" 20, 100 or whatsoever Mbps. They never guaranteed anything. Complaints, even in writing, will fall on deaf ears, or they sent Mr. Incompetent to check my setup. Today I am much happier with AIS fibre.

Advice from fibre users, please:

- Is 3BB fibre, fibre all the way to your house?

Answer: a 100/30 plan would be fiber all the way as VDSL can only go up to around 75Mb with good phone lines

- Will 3BB supply a new modem as part of the installation?

Answer: they would provide a fiber optics modem/router at X cost.

- If I can't afford a new wireless router straight away, will my old router just cap the higher fibre speed, or do I have to buy a new router?

Answer:  Fiber optics and VDSL routers are not compatible with each....completely different inputs....one takes a fiber optics cable input/signal and the other a DSL/phone line input/signal.

- 3BB call this a promotion. Will the price ever shoot up?

The website says cryptically, "* Apply within 31 to 60 can get a promotion. Lifetime"

Does this mean that I can get the price fixed for a while, if I apply by a certain date? I can't make sense of it.

Answer: when I look at the website it just says apply by 31 Aug 60 (i.e, 2017) which just means apply by 31 Aug to ensure you get the promotional price.   They always have promotion cut off dates...and usually after that promotion cutoff date they still have the same promotion going.   Price ever shoot up?---very doubtful as internet plan prices continue to go down and/or speeds go up for the same price.

- Is it quicker to apply online or to go to a 3BB shop?

Answer:  probably "quicker" to do it online, but personally I would go to a shop where you could also ask some questions.

@Pib

Excellent answer, thank you!

I have a query about the Fibre and my existing wireless router.

My understanding is that when fibre enters the home it needs a modem to convert the fibre signal to digital. VDSL has a modem to convert analogue to digital.

So with both, you have a modem which presents you with an RJ45 Ethernet socket into which you then plug your network cable, whether it's a hardwired system or a network cable from your wireless router.

So, unless 3BB have an all-in-one modem-router for fibre, I should be able to use my own wireless router.

My question on that was, if I use my own, will the speed be capped or won't it work at all?

Do you have an all-in-one thing or separate modem and router?

11 hours ago, Tapster said:

@Pib

Excellent answer, thank you!

I have a query about the Fibre and my existing wireless router.

My understanding is that when fibre enters the home it needs a modem to convert the fibre signal to digital. VDSL has a modem to convert analogue to digital.

So with both, you have a modem which presents you with an RJ45 Ethernet socket into which you then plug your network cable, whether it's a hardwired system or a network cable from your wireless router.

So, unless 3BB have an all-in-one modem-router for fibre, I should be able to use my own wireless router.

My question on that was, if I use my own, will the speed be capped or won't it work at all?

Do you have an all-in-one thing or separate modem and router?

Now days ISP almost always provide a router which is a combo modem and router.,,.what you are referring to as an all-in-one-router.  Modem only is really from the days of ADSL/dial up although you can have modem only for any type of internet signal such as fiber optics, DOCSIS/cable, VDSL, ADSL, etc.    The "input" for that router will match the type of system providing the input....that is, a fiber optics port for a fiber optics system, a DSL port for a xDSL system, etc.  Then that router will have X-amount of ethernet output ports which you can feed directly to your computer, your Android box, another router, just anything that uses ethernet ports.

So, if you  want to use your current router you would need to connect an Ethernet cable from an output port of the ISP's-provided router (or modem) to the WAN/an input port on your router....it varies among routers as to if it will have a separate WAN input port or they tell you to say connect the input to LAN Port 1.  

Now hooked up this way the ISP's-provided router is still the primary router in you home network for certain router functions with your other router kinda acting like an Access Point which does not provide full router capabilities.   If your current router is lots better/more capable than the ISP's provided router you would probably want to set the ISP's router to bridge mode (if they allow it) which basically turns the router into a modem/just to receive the input signal and all router controls are passed along to your router to handle.

When it comes to fiber otpics routers and DOCSIS (cable) routers you pretty much have to use the ISP-provided router to receive the fiber/DOCSIS internet connection into you home....that router is married to their system.  Kinda like how you have to have a TrueVisions cable/satellite TV box with subscription card to receive the TV programming such as their Platinum, Gold, etc., programming packages.  But you can then hook your router up to that ISP-provided router.   Heck, I 've got two other routers (set to Access Point mode) hooked up to my ISP-provided fiber optics router.

Now with ADSL plans (and maybe VDSL also) you could just use any ADSL modem which you could personally buy at an store...of course you would have to enter the correct setup settings, internet plan User ID & password, etc., info you get from the ISP.  

I'm with AIS Fibre...it an all in one router which as mentioned I have feeding two other routers set to Access Point mode.   When I was with TrueOnline DOCSIS/cable...it was an all in one router provided by True.   The last time I got a modem-only was almost a decade ago when on TOT ADSL.   Even ISPs that provide ADSL service now days usually provide an all in one router although I expect they still offer modem only if that is what the customer wants.   

Where you ask if you use your router hooked to the ISP router, will your router's speed be capped?  No, it will not be capped.  If you have a 100/30 Mb plan that 100/30Mb can flow from its ethernet output port to your router's input.  Now, not knowing the capabilities of your router like the type of Wifi capability it has, it is a 1000Mb or just a 100Mb ehternet port type router, etc., I can't say how well "your" router will work.  Heck the ISP-provided router may be better than your router, especially if your router has some age under its belt.

The responses I've given is really generic to any internet provider, be it 3BB, AIS, True, etc.

The speeds as advertised are not normally what you get. I got 3bb for the net and had it for a least 5 years. Never had much of problem with their service but thinking of getting ais for the tv as they have HBO. Cable for tv is the now defunct CTH but there is like 50 crap channels still on. Got no idea were this comes from and havent paid anything for years. The AIS plans are cheaper than my 3bb for Internet.

15 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

Whenever I dealt with 3 BB, they said "up to" 20, 100 or whatsoever Mbps. They never guaranteed anything. Complaints, even in writing, will fall on deaf ears, or they sent Mr. Incompetent to check my setup. Today I am much happier with AIS fibre.

A friend of my has the same experience with them, he had the 200/100 plan but the fastest he was able to get was 90-100 mbps.  When he called 3BB to complain they told him the only way to get 200 is plug an ethernet cable directly into the device, and that on wifi they throttle the speeds by 40% which seems like total BS.  

8 hours ago, Jokke66 said:

Believed fibre had same amount of upload speed as dl speed?  At least we have that here in Norway

Fibre is indeed symmetric. However it's up to the individual ISPs what speeds they actually provide over it, and it is very rare here for upload and download speeds to be equal. Presumably because the ISPs find that there is little demand for it.

24 minutes ago, arkom said:

A friend of my has the same experience with them, he had the 200/100 plan but the fastest he was able to get was 90-100 mbps.  When he called 3BB to complain they told him the only way to get 200 is plug an ethernet cable directly into the device, and that on wifi they throttle the speeds by 40% which seems like total BS.  

They did "not" tell him on Wifi the speed is throttled to 40% as in 3BB is throttling the speed..   What they were trying to explain to your friend is with a Wifi connection between the router and end device (i,e., computer/tablet/phone) he would probably achieve much less less "due to bandwidth limitations of a Wifi connection."     AIS, True or any ISP in the world would say the same thing because it's a fact.   

It's a fact because say the person was using a 2.4Ghz Wifi connection...well, the best speed he's going to get on 2.4Ghz depending on the quality of the router's Wifi circuit, the quality of his computer/smartphone Wifi circuit, Wifi settings, distance between the router and computer, obstacles such as walls/floors between the router and computer, interfering 2.4Ghz signals from neighbors, etc., is going to be in the 50 to 100Mb ballpark which works out to 25 to 50% of his 200Mb plan...but make an Ethernet connection to prevent on the Wifi issues and he gets 200Mb.  

Now if person uses a 5Ghz Wifi connection the chances of him getting 200Mb via Wifi increase greatly assuming he's close to the  router, no obstacles between router and computer, etc., since 5Ghz Wifi use different technology/has higher bandwidth than the older 2.4Ghz standard.

The 3BB rep was just trying to explain the speed limitation of a Wifi connection.....limitation that so many people simply don't understand....they think if they sign up for a 200Mb plan they are suppose to get 200Mb via Wifi---No, not necessarily!!!  

Now, you should be getting 200Mb via an ethernet connection assuming your end devicer has a 1000Mb (gigabit) LAN and its Wifi circuit is setup properly....but if it only has a 100Mb ethernet port that's the max speed you'll get since that 100Mb port is a chokepoint.

@Pib

Thank you again for a very full reply.

I'm going to the 3BB shop tomorrow, to sign up.

I'd like to know the specs of their modem-router but I'm pretty sure I'll have to take what they offer. I'm sure it will be faster than my current router.

:biggrin:

I know my question is a little off topic,being the owner of a new condo,is it possible for the internet providers to run fibre cable from outside directly to my condo with no connections.

I have been told,yes they can run fibre cable direct from outside to my condo,yet juristic office people say cannot do this.

Any advice much appreciated thx.

I know my question is a little off topic,being the owner of a new condo,is it possible for the internet providers to run fibre cable from outside directly to my condo with no connections.
 I have been told,yes they can run fibre cable direct from outside to my condo,yet juristic office people say cannot do this.
 Any advice much appreciated thx.

Sounds like the ISP is willing but building management will not allow it.

5 hours ago, arkom said:

Not easy to get 200mbit over 100mbit ethernet cables :-)

34 minutes ago, hemskasven01 said:

All providers fighting to have more custumers now. Prices from 500 baht and up for fibre with 30 mbit and up. But in the rice villages are it still bad with internet possibility.

Skickat från min K6000 Pro via Tapatalk

@hemskasven01 You are correct and because there is no real consumer protection in the land of dreams anything goes.
But, its fun to watch the ISP speed jockeys sweating over their 1??/?? MBS one year contracts.

On 17/08/2017 at 4:49 PM, Brew said:

Not easy to get 200mbit over 100mbit ethernet cables :-)

Actually if the two network sockets at either end are Gigabit then you should get more than 100mbs even over Cat5 cable, depending on the distance.

Cat5e, which is more common than Cat5, was designed to support Gigabit speeds (more or less).

Though given the minimal extra cost I would always go for Cat6.

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/04/ask-lh-whats-the-difference-between-cat5-cat5e-and-cat6-cables/

So, on Friday I went into my local 3BB shop and signed up for the 100/30 service. 

It was very simple and they said I'd have to wait up to one month for installation because the promotion was so popular. No problem. 

I paid 800 THB for the modem-router and was assured that there were no other installation charges. 

The modem-router is made by Fiberhome and isn't cutting edge. The wireless router is single band, at 2.4GHz.

I will use Cat6 network cable to connect the 3BB router to a new dual band AC1900 (speed rating) wireless router which should maximise the wireless speed available. 

Can't wait! 

3 hours ago, Tapster said:

So, on Friday I went into my local 3BB shop and signed up for the 100/30 service. 

It was very simple and they said I'd have to wait up to one month for installation because the promotion was so popular. No problem. 

I paid 800 THB for the modem-router and was assured that there were no other installation charges. 

The modem-router is made by Fiberhome and isn't cutting edge. The wireless router is single band, at 2.4GHz.

I will use Cat6 network cable to connect the 3BB router to a new dual band AC1900 (speed rating) wireless router which should maximise the wireless speed available. 

Can't wait! 

Hopefully that FiberHome router has Gigabit ports (1000Mb) to ensure the 100Mb plan full speed is relayed to your AC1900 router.  If that FiberHome router only has 100Mb output ports (unlikely but possible) then there is a good possibility it may not be able to feed the full 100Mb to your other router....it may only feed around 95Mb

On 8/17/2017 at 7:33 AM, Tapster said:

@Pib

Thank you again for a very full reply.

I'm going to the 3BB shop tomorrow, to sign up.

I'd like to know the specs of their modem-router but I'm pretty sure I'll have to take what they offer. I'm sure it will be faster than my current router.

:biggrin:

Hi, did you buy the package and if so how much did they charge for the router? I have been quoted 2,200THB just wondering if it is the same price everywhere 

@stupidfarang

Look at post #26. 

I was asked to pay 800 THB for the router. I had read somewhere that the installation charge was 2000 THB and so I queried the 800 but the lady at the shop seemed certain that there was nothing more to pay. I paid the 800 at the 3BB shop. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this doesn't change on installation day! 

Archived