3BB Promotion!! 100/30 fibre for 700THB/month

Tapster

OOPS! I'm on about this . . . 

(So - as an optimistic and total noob - if I get the fiber router (as planned anyway) and connect this USB3 dual-band 11ac  adapter to my laptop, will it mean I'll get better DL rates that simply using the laptop's built-in WiFi?
(Gotta be a snag with this simplistic plan . . . )

DSC_1294.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, robsamui said:

So - as an optimistic and total noob - if I get the fiber router (as planned anyway) and connect this USB3 dual-band 11ac  adapter to my laptop, will it mean I'll get better DL rates that simply using the laptop's built-in WiFi?

(Gotta be a snagg with this simplistic plan . . . )

Maybe.  All depends on the capabilities of your laptop's built-in Wifi circuit compared to the dual band 11ac adapter Wifi capabilities you'll you plan to plug in a USB port along with the capabilities of the router.    No need to plug the adapter into a USB3 port as a USB2 port is more than fast enough to handle the speeds associated with the adapter.  

A personally for a laptop I would buy a small "thumb drive type 11AC adapter" versus a bulky external  adapter with USB cord and antennas.  That's what I did for one of my laptops that only had 2.4Ghz capability.    Around a year ago I bought an Edimax Wifi 11ac 2.4 and 5Ghz thumb drive for my laptop which only had 2.4Ghz internal capability...the Edimax is small (see snapshot below) and costs around Bt850 ...works like a charm...I can pull approx 275Mb download speeds (I did tests by using my home server as the source to feed my Wifi router)....a lot more than what my ISP plan which is currently 100Mb but going to 200Mb next week.

Capture.JPG.35fdd0a33c426af2c2cc9e4dba3ebe76.JPG

9 minutes ago, Pib said:

Maybe.  All depends on the capabilities of your laptop's built-in Wifi circuit compared to the dual band 11ac adapter Wifi capabilities you'll you plan to plug in a USB port along with the capabilities of the router.    No need to plug the adapter into a USB3 port as a USB2 port is more than fast enough to handle the speeds associated with the adapter.  

Thanks for this - be interesting to see the result!

2 minutes ago, robsamui said:

Thanks for this - be interesting to see the result!

I just updated my earlier post to show the the Edimax Wifi thumb drive I have/use on one of my laptops.....I bought it about a year ago.   Take a look above.

But if I was buying "today" I would buy below ASUS Wifi adpater since it's an AC1200 adpater.   You can buy it from invadeIT.

Capture.JPG.9de7e331e5886c72c88582dd0f5f6dd3.JPG

On 8/26/2017 at 7:19 AM, samuijimmy said:

Yes fibre for sure: I watched them use a special splicer to add to the router.

Quite honestly no better than the ADSL line I had b4, which was never a problem, just will save 200 baht or a month. I've not gotten around to testing the wifi signal range...yet...

3BB told me 10 days to install, but did it in 5 days of ordering. :wink:

wz9VQcGHbEi9kgq7KkBkssL8YLxdeJhze_q4PPSe

The same speed? Using 50/20 fiber? 

Well assuming, as everyone points out, that the 50 Mbps is the theoretical maximum, and you're probably getting 30 - 40% of this rate, I suppose it's possible.

But I would feel cheated if it were me - I'd much rather get a consistently higher download speed for the same as I was paying before, than change to fiber and get the same speed for 100B a month less.

Better still - actually get what I was supposed to be getting - or at least half the boast-rate, at 25 Mbps - for 100B a month less!

(OOPS - EDIT - just noticed it's 200B a month . . . make it more realistic . . . sorry!)

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 2:37 PM, Tapster said:

@stupidfarang and everyone..............

tl;dr   it's worth getting a new router to maximise your internet speed!

While I'm waiting for the fibre to be installed, my new wireless router arrived from Invade IT in Hua Hin:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/tp-link/archer-c9-ac1900-wireless-dual-band-gigabit-router-p022041/

This is the best in the AC1900 speed class, for the money. I'm going to hardwire it to the fibre modem, to maximise wireless speeds.

Remember, I'm on 3BB 50/20 VDSL at the moment.

I hardwired the new router to my existing 3BB VDSL modem and the speed increase was spectacular!!!

First photo: speed test with ten-year-old wireless router.

Second photo: speed test with new dual band router.

Conclusion..............it's worth getting a new router as technology improves, even if you don't update your line speed.

Now I'm waiting to see how much faster the fibre is.       :biggrin:

Old network adapter (1).png

New network adapter and new router (2).png

I'm a noob as well so hoping someone can advise.

I'm on 3BB VDSL and getting pretty good speeds of around 60 Mpbs and 20 Mpbs.

This is with the router 3BB installed about 18 months ago.

TBH, I'm more than happy with my current speed but if I buy a new router, will my speeds

get even quicker?

Re your question above, there's always two different kinds of connections: Ethernet and wifi.

--Re Ethernet connections, there are 100 Mbps routers, and then the newer Gigabit (1000 Mbps) routers. Those being the maximum data throughput they can handle via wired connections. For anything under a 100 Mbps ISP plan (and AFAIK VDSL is always going to be under 100 Mbps plans, the faster Gigabit Ethernet probably isn't going to make much difference.   But it certainly could make a difference  for wired connections for AIS and 3BB fiber customers who have 200 Mbps plans.

--Re wifi connections, the newer AC wifi routers definitely can improve wifi throughput speeds for the same ISP connection compared with the older N class wifi routers. Likewise, depending on the construction in your home, newer routers that support the less congested 5 GHz band (in addition to the older 2.4 GHz band)  can likewise greatly improve the wifi throughput of whatever ISP plan you have.

Whenever I've used the typical Thai ISP provided wifi N routers that they hand out for free, the speeds I'd get via wifi in my home would almost always be just a portion of my actual available plan speed and bandwith. As soon as I'd switch to using my own router with AC and 5 GHz, I'd get actual performance much closer to the actual bandwidth/speed limits of my ISP plan.

So, the answer to your question depends a lot of whether the internet you're using at home is on devices connected by wired Ethernet, or devices connected by wifi.

--

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Re your question above, there's always two different kinds of connections: Ethernet and wifi.

--Re Ethernet connections, there are 100 Mbps routers, and then the newer Gigabit (1000 Mbps) routers. Those being the maximum data throughput they can handle via wired connections. For anything under a 100 Mbps ISP plan (and AFAIK VDSL is always going to be under 100 Mbps plans, the faster Gigabit Ethernet probably isn't going to make much difference.   But it certainly could make a difference  for wired connections for AIS and 3BB fiber customers who have 200 Mbps plans.

--Re wifi connections, the newer AC wifi routers definitely can improve wifi throughput speeds for the same ISP connection compared with the older N class wifi routers. Likewise, depending on the construction in your home, newer routers that support the less congested 5 GHz band (in addition to the older 2.4 GHz band)  can likewise greatly improve the wifi throughput of whatever ISP plan you have.

Whenever I've used the typical Thai ISP provided wifi N routers that they hand out for free, the speeds I'd get via wifi in my home would almost always be just a portion of my actual available plan speed and bandwith. As soon as I'd switch to using my own router with AC and 5 GHz, I'd get actual performance much closer to the actual bandwidth/speed limits of my ISP plan.

So, the answer to your question depends a lot of whether the internet you're using at home is on devices connected by wired Ethernet, or devices connected by wifi.

Thanks for that.

My AIO is connected by an ethernet connection and my tablet and laptop are wifi.

I use my laptop to stream sports via HDMI.

So a new router would improve the speeds on my laptop and tablet?

4 hours ago, Will27 said:

Thanks for that.

My AIO is connected by an ethernet connection and my tablet and laptop are wifi.

I use my laptop to stream sports via HDMI.

So a new router would improve the speeds on my laptop and tablet?

It all depends on the details, as I explained above. What router you have now, what router you'd end up buying, other details. But in general, a good AC router running on 5 GHz is going to give you better wifi performance for your existing internet compared to a typical wifi N router running on 2.4 GHz.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It all depends on the details, as I explained above. What router you have now, what router you'd end up buying, other details. But in general, a good AC router running on 5 GHz is going to give you better wifi performance for your existing internet compared to a typical wifi N router running on 2.4 GHz.

Thanks again.

Currently have the one supplied by 3BB which is a HG630.

Seems a bit of a hassle to change so will probably keep what I've got.

On 31/08/2017 at 3:03 PM, Tapster said:

I just did a test, downloading 35GB of data from the internet.

It took 30 minutes, with an average download speed of 7 megabytes per second.

How could I not be happy with that!

Try a download test to Europe using testmy.net

Glad for you they installed it that quickly.

3 hours ago, Will27 said:

Thanks again.

Currently have the one supplied by 3BB which is a HG630.

Seems a bit of a hassle to change so will probably keep what I've got.

The specs I see for that Huawei model are as follows:

HG630 support multiple wireless LAN protocols : 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n (2.4GHz ~ 2.4835GHz). Which , 802.11n supports MIMO 2 * 2 technology , the rate can reach 300Mbps.

So, as expected, it's an N band, 2.4 GHz router -- standard issue for Thai ISPs. It's going to be perfectly fine for any of your wired Ethernet connections.

But for your wifi connections, you likely could do better with your own AC, dual band 2.4 and 5 GHz router if you wanted to.

If you're satisfied with the wifi performance you're getting now, done. If not, spend $50 to $150 on a new AC band router to daisy chain with your Huawei device and handle wifi for it, and your wifi performance likely would improve.

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The specs I see for that Huawei model are as follows:

So, as expected, it's an N band, 2.4 GHz router -- standard issue for Thai ISPs. It's going to be perfectly fine for any of your wired Ethernet connections.

But for your wifi connections, you likely could do better with your own AC, dual band 2.4 and 5 GHz router if you wanted to.

If you're satisfied with the wifi performance you're getting now, done. If not, spend $50 to $150 on a new AC band router to daisy chain with your Huawei device and handle wifi for it, and your wifi performance likely would improve.

Sorry for the continued questions, but does "daisy chain" mean I would have to use both routers?

Connect the new one to the old one?

Would it be hard to connect the one and do you have any brands I could consider?

Thanks again.

13 hours ago, Will27 said:

Sorry for the continued questions, but does "daisy chain" mean I would have to use both routers?

Connect the new one to the old one?

Would it be hard to connect the one and do you have any brands I could consider?

Thanks again.

Yes you need to use both. And no, not hard at all.

The device from your ISP serves as the VDSL modem for their service. You'll need to continue using that. But you can easily connect a second wifi router-only device to the ISPs modem-router via a simple Ethernet cable, and then use your own router to broadcast the (AC, 5 GHz) wifi signal in your home.

The cabling to make that connection goes from one of the (probably) 4 LAN out ports on your ISP's modem-router and into the (probably) 1 WAN in ports on your own wifi router. You can then turn off the 2.4 GHz wifi on your ISP's router, or leave it on, as if you use 5 GHz AC wifi on your own router, it won't conflict with the 2.4 GHz wifi (entirely separate bands).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived