Bangkok expat with Kenyan wife slams Air Asia for "racial profiling" and "humiliation" at Don Mueang airport

webfact

8 hours ago, Belzybob said:

Its time that logic rather than political correctness was applied to aviation security. Use of effective risk identification and hazard management should be lead to passenger profiling, pre-flight screening and targeted searches. Why should low risk passengers be inconvenienced when the real risk is in a much smaller group? Bleeding hearts will cry and moan, but its reality folks.

No, that's bigotry. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, impulse said:

Certainly, the expat realizes that there are different visa requirements and different levels of scrutiny for people from different countries and the requirements for someone traveling on a Kenyan passport may be different than those required of a guy from a country where parents would name their kid Philip Culbertson.

"someone traveling on a Kenyan passport may be different than those required of a guy from a country where parents would name their kid Philip Culbertson."

NO, they are not different - 30 days Visa on Arrival - same most EU Schengen Countries lol :tongue:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Kenyan_citizens

8 hours ago, Crash999 said:

Was he waiting for tickets or waiting for a boarding pass? Usually airlines have to check on behalf of the destination country when checking in to make sure people have the right visa to enter the country. I don't know if Kenyans get visa on arrival or a visa waiver in Laos but that could have been the issue. 

Visa on arrival same most EU countries - they could have looked in Google,  :tongue:

10 hours ago, the guest said:

Yeah, probably because the white skins (mostly from Europe) had a habit of raping, pillaging, enslaving, murdering Africans in many parts of the country. You can't blame them from being racist can you?

No because those europeans in the past would also do the same to white races....like they did in south america for example.

Why do you think they speak spanish and portuguese over there?

14 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

I hope the general condemns this or it might lead some of us to believe he supports this behaviour.

Why would he even hear about it??   I imagine he';d have too many other things on his plate to bother commenting.

As another poster said, it's probably more about the passport she was traveling on rather than the color of her skin.  

I've seen Australian immigration and quarantine authorities pick out every single middle eastern looking person from a flight for 'special' screening, and in politically correct Australia, that's really something!!  They have a propensity for operating outside the law, so why not?

Edited by F4UCorsair

11 hours ago, the guest said:

Yeah, probably because the white skins (mostly from Europe) had a habit of raping, pillaging, enslaving, murdering Africans in many parts of the country. You can't blame them from being racist can you?

I think you'll find the colour of someones skin bore no reflection on the "habit of raping, pillaging, enslaving, murdering Africans in many parts of the country:" rather it was more to do with the victors of the dispute. The fact that at a certain point in history Europeans turned up with superior firepower doesn't negate other sections of history.

14 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Living in Thailand, and surprised by a bit of racism by Thais here ? :coffee1:

exactly right lives and working in thailand, and  does not realize thais are racist go out more often   ,  example national parks , taxis , water , markets buy food ,  buy a car , motor bike , a house , land ,  u have to send the misses so price does not go up upon arrival to negotiate "  thai price  "farang price all because we are white " not just blacks " whites are considered to be wealthy " double standards in kwailand country falling apart by self implosion . 

Edited by Mad mick

15 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Living in Thailand, and surprised by a bit of racism by Thais here ? :coffee1:

This happens in many countries ...   and after all,  they were from Nairobi ....  which doesn't have a spot on reputation ...

Edited by steven100

Reminds me of a rant by Joan Rivers by phone call on a Larry King show right after 9/11.  She called to rant about not being allowed on a plane from Mexico to the USA because of incompetence on the part of the ticket agent.  Threatening a lawsuit for missing her flight, and generally being, well, Joan Rivers.

Turns out, the plane ticket was in her maiden name and her passport wasn't.  Larry was kind enough to quickly end the call without going off on her.

Maybe it was racism, but my money would be on the Kenyan passport, visa status (in LOS and Laos), ticket payment issue (whose credit card?), or some other technical issue.  Gotta admit, I've lost my temper occasionally when I got caught up in the minutia of flying post 9/11.  Almost missed my plane to China once because my passport has my middle initial and my ticket had my whole middle name.  In retrospect, it was 100% my bad, but it sure seemed like somebody else's stupidity while I was arguing for my seat on that plane.

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, F4UCorsair said:

Why would he even hear about it??   I imagine he';d have too many other things on his plate to bother commenting.

As another poster said, it's probably more about the passport she was traveling on rather than the color of her skin.  

I've seen Australian immigration and quarantine authorities pick out every single middle eastern looking person from a flight for 'special' screening, and in politically correct Australia, that's really something!!  They have a propensity for operating outside the law, so why not?

My rant ..great do it more often pick them out or stop them full stop  " when in middle eastern countries to work + live or visit we have to abide by their country laws and r picked out at airport ? ? ? bags taken apart looking for alcohol , cigarettes , sexual explicit items , etc , no fn difference  When immigrate to Australia once here try and convert us like the crusades 100s years ago , change our laws to suit them  , granted government pensions , family subsistence money , free access to government lawyers + $30,000  start up money + home provided , low rental + a car  , power , gas , funded schooling for islam all paid by the Australian taxpayers  , most spend their time in coffee shops doing nothing but talk and complain ,  change our way of life to islam using legal aid government funded money 

paid by aussie taxpayers " like the fn crusades "  Once in Aussie now they want ! sharia law bought in " if so go back home to country of origin with your archaic laws :  one reason u left war , family honour killings , fighting each other shia / sunni islamic war " only time they stick together when they want something or running drugs " head off to fight for whatever side in the middle east for isis etc against the country that took them in ,,, later return and straight back on unemployment money " they apparently fled for a better way of life " if you don't like Australia don't come back , we have to abide by their laws fair enough  ,  cover up , no alcohol , no talk to women in public etc list goes on , cover up at beach we abide by it then abide by ours .  we dont get government grants legal or other in any middle eastern country ..

Edited by Mad mick
spellung

12 minutes ago, steven100 said:

This happens in many countries ...   and after all,  they were from Nairobi ....  which doesn't have a spot on reputation ...

nothing new look around sukhumvit from soi 3 nana bring girls in as sex workers exploit them by their own people No work permits or checks . police at non active post soi 4 100s of them working in all types of work 

8 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Yes life was so much easier in the old days , I so enjoyed sending letters and waiting a month for a reply. Of course I also had the option of spending the equivalent of a nights accomodation on a 30 second phone call ( if I was lucky enough to be connected ! )

Of course you are right but when you sent a letter in the old days only the person it was addressed to read it. 

When my wife and self go out for a night 99% of the time we leave the phones in the car and sit in the restaurant and talk to each other.

But anyway, off topic.

36 minutes ago, Mad mick said:

...change our laws to suit them  , granted government pensions , family subsistence money , free access to government lawyers + $30,000  start up money + home provided , low rental + a car  , power , gas , funded schooling for islam all paid by the Australian taxpayers  , most spend their time in coffee shops doing nothing but talk and complain ,  change our way of life to islam using legal aid government funded money 

paid by aussie taxpayers " like the fn crusades "  ...

You really need to stop believing hoax emails you know, Apart from stopping you looking like a <deleted> it could be good for your blood pressure.

1 hour ago, Mad mick said:

My rant ..great do it more often pick them out or stop them full stop  " when in middle eastern countries to work + live or visit we have to abide by their country laws and r picked out at airport ? ? ? bags taken apart looking for alcohol , cigarettes , sexual explicit items , etc , no fn difference  When immigrate to Australia once here try and convert us like the crusades 100s years ago , change our laws to suit them  , granted government pensions , family subsistence money , free access to government lawyers + $30,000  start up money + home provided , low rental + a car  , power , gas , funded schooling for islam all paid by the Australian taxpayers  , most spend their time in coffee shops doing nothing but talk and complain ,  change our way of life to islam using legal aid government funded money 

paid by aussie taxpayers " like the fn crusades "  Once in Aussie now they want ! sharia law bought in " if so go back home to country of origin with your archaic laws :  one reason u left war , family honour killings , fighting each other shia / sunni islamic war " only time they stick together when they want something or running drugs " head off to fight for whatever side in the middle east for isis etc against the country that took them in ,,, later return and straight back on unemployment money " they apparently fled for a better way of life " if you don't like Australia don't come back , we have to abide by their laws fair enough  ,  cover up , no alcohol , no talk to women in public etc list goes on , cover up at beach we abide by it then abide by ours .  we dont get government grants legal or other in any middle eastern country ..

Australia is waaaaay too 'civilized' Mick.....everybody has rights, but most can't even manage their own lives, let alone exercise any rights.

17 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

I hope the general condemns this or it might lead some of us to believe he supports this behaviour.

very far from reasonable he (general) is , but what does a private company's error  and a few stupid or low info immigration police have to do with him ? throw stones at him , big ones  that can hurt , but to put this forward as another example of his recklessness is kind of petty on your part . these people were treated poorly and that is a shame ......best you hurl a stone at the airport popo .

14 hours ago, cplgil said:

You are Lucky Trump was not there working!!  It could have been lots worse.

C5mBlMRUwAIP3c6.jpg

wawawa someone quick call a wa wa wambulance for cplgil ,  he is in need of transportation to a safe non triggering  womb like cuddly place , it appears he suffers from trump derangement syndrome .

9 hours ago, Nord X said:

The far left is now way more dangerous and detrimental to society than the far right is or ever was.

9 hours ago, Nord X said:

You only have to look at the ridiculous situation at Evergreen State college and Bret Weinstein to see where it's headed. The far left is a plague, but there are some inadvertent good come from it such as the UK leaving the EU because the people were pushed too far by the left.

This article from the NY Times gives you a good idea where the good ol' USofA is being dragged by the far left.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/opinion/when-the-left-turns-on-its-own.html

Oh yeah that's definitely more 'dangerous' and 'detrimental to society' than 'the holocaust', isn't it.

:post-4641-1156693976:

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

I've little doubt OP's wife and cousin were singled out being the only black folks in queue.  Moreso when they put their Kenyan passports on the check in desk. 

Another thing with some (not all) of these airline employees on check-in desk duty, is they lack experience and confidence when it comes to knowing/applying destination visa requirements for various nationalities, and moreover, the threat of personal accountability if they let one slip through the net.  They compensate for it by being suspicious and officious.

My wife's passport (Thai) always gets a thorough vetting anytime we fly out of Swampy for destinations beyond Asia.  When flying to the US, her valid US visit visa is plain as day on the passport page, but some of the check in girls are still hesitant to make a decision, while others are confident and we sail right through.  I would also say, generally speaking, airline check in staff's demeanor toward my Mrs. during this process is more polite and respectful when we fly 1st or business class compared to the times we've flown premium or regular economy.

15 hours ago, Gracas said:

It was lucky for the man concerned that on their return to Thailand they were not each asked to show 20K Baht. That would have pushed him right over the edge.

I've been there, checking in to the final leg home on that last frazzled nerve left in my body after dealing with United flight attendants for 14 hours...

22 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Not gonna happen. He is a Charlottesville supporter type. Total kissing cousins with Trump. They have an awful lot in common. 

Thais are very prejudiced. White skin to them is akin to divinity. With all of the obsession with the whitening creams, they show their obsession with whiteness daily. Some are more open minded than others. But in general most look down on dark skin. And unfortunately many with dark skin somehow feel inferior to those with white skin. I often tell my wife that alot of the really white skinned Bangkok types, and Europeans look like ghosts to me, and do not look like the picture of health, and how gorgeous alot of the women with dark skin look. It gets a puzzled and amused look from her. 

I have a black friend that I hang out with. And when we go out together, most women pay more attention to me, not because of my looks, but because of my white skin. 

My guess is that perhaps a century or more, from now, Thais will be open minded people, with more of an awareness of the world, and a greater understanding of values such as these. Perhaps. One can hope. And one can also hope nationalism will be outed for the fake narrative it truly is.

Edited by spidermike007