Phuket marine experts believe Japanese tourist bitten by Blacktip Reef Shark

snoop1130

Phuket marine experts believe Japanese tourist bitten by Blacktip Reef Shark

Eakkapop Thongtub

1502878139_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- Experts from the Marine Endangered Species Unit at the Phuket Marine Biology Centre (PMBC) are of the opinion that a Blacktip Reef Shark might have bitten a Japanese man’s foot while surfing at Kamala Beach today.

Kamala rescue workers received a report at 12:30pm today (Aug 16) that a tourist had been bitten by an unknown marine animal at Kamala Beach near Kamala Police Station.

Rescue worker arrived at the scene find a male Japanese tourist with wounds on his left foot.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-marine-experts-believe-japanese-tourist-bitten-by-blacktip-reef-shark-63484.php#u5Y4wTKR77qZlPha.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-8-16

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Seems too large an object (surfboard/man) for a blacktip reef shark to attack - bearing in mind their diet consists of far smaller fish etc.?

V odd.

Arguably the foot was attacked, not the entire "man".

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

Well I am not that well versed in shark bites but I have seen lots of pictures of them over the years and that looks nothing like any I have seen before.  The cuts look much more like slashes to me with no bite marks visible at all.

If you look at the full range of photo there is big chunk out of the leg above the heel.

1502878168_1998.jpg

10 hours ago, huuwi said:

I thought our waters around phuket where shark free. that one must have escape the longline's.

Why did you think that?

my friend worked on the tour group activities.. and she filmed them on the mobile phone.. they were the black tipped reef sharks... they came every morning early to the bay she was in.... before the tourist boats arrived.  It was amazing that they could swim in such shallow water close to the beach too.

6 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Why did you think that?

my friend worked on the tour group activities.. and she filmed them on the mobile phone.. they were the black tipped reef sharks... they came every morning early to the bay she was in.... before the tourist boats arrived.  It was amazing that they could swim in such shallow water close to the beach too.

when you had follow that for the last 20+years then you would understand what i mean

9 minutes ago, huuwi said:

when you had follow that for the last 20+years then you would understand what i mean

Unfortunately very much true.

In the past we'd see leopard (zebra) sharks at Shark Point every dive, these days maybe once a month if we're very lucky. Still quite a few blacktips at Phi Phi Ley wall, and at Koh Bida Nok, but also that is getting more hit and miss than it used to be.

10 minutes ago, huuwi said:

Very sorry, but I don't understand what you are trying to say.  Are you saying you were there 20 years ago and there were lots more sharks then?  

12 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Very sorry, but I don't understand what you are trying to say.  Are you saying you were there 20 years ago and there were lots more sharks then?  

all around phuket and similans, yes

16 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Not only more sharks, but more of every type of marine life.

The water was also much much clearer with pristine corals. 

And still they keep on building more hotels, putting even more filth into the environment, and at night the fishing boats come into the "no fishing" zone and take whatever they can.