Wat Arun renovation done properly, say officials

webfact

Wat Arun renovation done properly, say officials

By The Nation

8724c5ea82de4098120f2a5629063d2a.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The recent restoration of the iconic stupa of the Temple of Dawn, which is more commonly known as Wat Arun, has been completed properly in line with its original detailing and technical principles, according to the chief of the Fine Arts Department, which was in charge of the renovation.

Department director-general Anandha Chuchoti was responding to criticism on social media that the latest renovations had been carried out so poorly that the original designs on the iconic architectural features had been changed.

Anandha told a press conference on Wednesday that the original 120 decorative designs dating back to the reign of King Rama II – in the early 1800s when the temple’s distinctive spires were built – had been carefully studied before the renovation.

However, due to the spires’ poor condition, as much as 40 per cent of the original designs had needed completely new redecoration, according to the official.

“The Fine Arts Department made careful examinations before starting the restoration. We replaced the damaged parts but still retained the original designs,” the director-general said.

“The main purpose was not to preserve the old features, but rather to maintain the original condition as much as possible.”

The riverside temple, and particularly its outstanding spires, are regarded as a symbol of Bangkok and among the best known of Thailand’s landmarks.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30324032

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-17

Officials defend authenticity of Wat Arun work amid criticism

By THE NATION

0eadf1a7cf854ea1b942225d09acf30b.jpg

THE recent restoration of the iconic stupa of the Temple of Dawn, which is more commonly known as Wat Arun, has been completed properly in line with its original detailing and technical principles, according to the chief of the Fine Arts Department, which was in charge of the renovation.

Department director-general Anandha Chuchoti was responding to criticism on social media that the latest renovations had been carried out so poorly that the original designs on the iconic architectural features had been changed. Anandha told a press conference yesterday that the original 120 decorative designs dating back to the reign of King Rama II – in the early 1800s when the temple’s distinctive spires were built – had been carefully studied before the renovation. 

20d17a8008a323b1d4bd915f09739068.jpg

However, due to the spires’ poor condition, as much as 40 per cent of the original designs had needed completely new redecoration, according to the official.

“The Fine Arts Department made careful examinations before starting the restoration. We replaced the damaged parts but still retained the original designs,” the director-general said.

“The main purpose was not to preserve the old features, but rather to maintain the original condition as much as possible.”

However, Anandha admitted that after the renovation, some details in the designs might be slightly altered compared to the original ones, as cement had overlapped into parts of the ceramics and along the edges and lines of some designs.

841b0a98d0c8d97b6b7a6cb45c8be7b4.jpg

The riverside temple, and particularly its outstanding spires, are regarded as a symbol of Bangkok and among the best known of Thailand’s landmarks.

Wat Arun, whose official name is Wat Arun Ratchawararam Woramahawihan, was built in the Ayutthaya period, when it was known as Wat Makok. King Taksin, who reigned from 1767 to 1782, renamed the temple Wat Chaeng, or “Temple of Dawn”, as legend had it that he reached the temple at dawn when he intended to establish Thonburi as the new capital. “Wat Arun” is an alternative translation of “Temple of Dawn”.

The temple saw a series of restorations over the next century, in the reigns of King Rama II, III and IV. The latest major restoration began in 2013.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30324023

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-17

You can clearly see from the first before and after photo that the pattern is completely different and I would say lacking the quality and depth of detail of the original. Obviously they didn't study the original as well as they said, or the current bunch of craftsmen aren't as skilled as those in the past. A shame.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The temple saw a series of restorations over the next century, in the reigns of King Rama II, III and IV.

By the time of the next renovation in 2013 began, I wonder how much of the 100-year old original design still remained to be recreated?

5 hours ago, Katipo said:

You can clearly see from the first before and after photo that the pattern is completely different and I would say lacking the quality and depth of detail of the original. Obviously they didn't study the original as well as they said, or the current bunch of craftsmen aren't as skilled as those in the past. A shame.

Not so sure about that. The before/after photos in the article are pretty tiny and don't even seem to be from the same spot.

I've dug up old pics of mine and if you compare the last pic of this article with the one I attached, you'll see that it mostly seem they've cleaned up the white grouting (not sure of the term). Patterns, colors, level of detail seem all the same to me.

THAILAND_2007_0030.JPG

If the research was done thoroughly, then sketches from the original patterns and later photographs should have been available.

It is a magnificent edifice and a symbol of Bangkok that was desperately in need of restoration.

I am pleased it is done.

The restorers should put on an exhibition to show how they did it.

2 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

If the research was done thoroughly, then sketches from the original patterns and later photographs should have been available.

It is a magnificent edifice and a symbol of Bangkok that was desperately in need of restoration.

I am pleased it is done.

The restorers should put on an exhibition to show how they did it.

I think there's some sort of Grand Opening scheduled for November.