Do I need a yellow book?

Yes as Ubonjoe points out it is useful at times. Earlier this year when applying for my retirement extension sine I rent a place I had the owners documents all signed and ready. But for the first time immigration told me that I didn't need those documents as the yellow book was confirmation enough. So I think it can be confusing whether one needs it or not but I think it is better to have one...just in case.

11 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Yes as Ubonjoe points out it is useful at times. Earlier this year when applying for my retirement extension sine I rent a place I had the owners documents all signed and ready. But for the first time immigration told me that I didn't need those documents as the yellow book was confirmation enough. So I think it can be confusing whether one needs it or not but I think it is better to have one...just in case.

Which sort of proves no one knows who will or wont accept it as proof of address really

Took mine and wife and her blue book to our immigration showed him my yellow book he just swiped it away saying "no good here". Yet every other government office i use in province accepts no hassle. 

Ive said it before i belive immigration are annoyed as they have no say who is issued the book and ID card. No great shakes as i use immigration very infrequently.

I got my yellow card and pink ID this year. A lot of different bits of paper, and the local village headman required.
If you take time to collect the various papers and not rush it then not stressful.
I would suggest getting a list of requirements from the local office as from reports I have read they vary from town to town.

Sent from my SM-C900F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Oztruckie said:

I'm looking at getting a yellow book,can anyone advise me of a place in Pattaya or Jomtien who can do translation of my passport or do I have to go to MFA in bkk to have it done.

My wife translated my passport in a shop in soi post office at 500 Baht i think and it was totally acceptable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oztruckie said:

I'm looking at getting a yellow book,can anyone advise me of a place in Pattaya or Jomtien who can do translation of my passport or do I have to go to MFA in bkk to have it done.

I use a visa agent on soi for 13/1 for all translations i need hee gets them translated and sends them up to MFA for notarization if required. I just email him what u require translated he does the rest and posts the finished article back to me. 

To be honest i now have just about everything translated and in a folder should it be required somewhere down the line.

8 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Snip

Ive said it before i belive immigration are annoyed as they have no say who is issued the book and ID card. No great shakes as i use immigration very infrequently.

It has to do with money, as always.

The issuing of residence certificates is a nice source of income for the immigration offices. Institutionally, the immigration belongs to the police division.

The yellow book, which ultimately also represents a residence confirmation, is issued by the local district administration same like the pink id card.

If for example the local immigration chef knows the local boss of the traffic office well, and both talk about business , then the yellow housebook simply will not recognized, to secure their income.

This institutional overlap also makes problems for example with the tm30.  The local district administration knows my adress.

Without the registration by tm30 the immigration would not know my address.

Ultimately, both institutions run their own databases independently and non-networked.

TIT

Edited by tomacht8

On 8/17/2017 at 1:27 PM, tstcman said:

So what do I get if I get a yellow book does it help me do stuff

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have had mine since 2010 and it has proved to be quite useful. If you are living with your wife and her family you would get some free medical services in the local area. I have used the mobile health service and had flu vaccination at the local hospital because I had the yellow book.

It is also a useful supporting document if you were to apply for a visitor visa for your wife. Proof of you living in Thailand is a fairly good reason to return. 

An hour at the Amphur an 20 baht for photocopies was time and money well spent.

11 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I have had mine since 2010 and it has proved to be quite useful. If you are living with your wife and her family you would get some free medical services in the local area. I have used the mobile health service and had flu vaccination at the local hospital because I had the yellow book.

It is also a useful supporting document if you were to apply for a visitor visa for your wife. Proof of you living in Thailand is a fairly good reason to return. 

An hour at the Amphur an 20 baht for photocopies was time and money well spent.

You were very lucky regarding healthcare...:thumbsup:...Yellow book does not mean auto free healthcare...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, transam said:

You were very lucky regarding healthcare...:thumbsup:...Yellow book does not mean auto free healthcare...

It does here as well local clinics/small hospital. Guess im lucky as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

I didn't say that, so please do not distort the post.

The Thai health system is a paid for service , one way or another. From time to time they do offer some free services to the residents of a certain area and the holders of a yellow book are considered a resident. When I was at the Chonburi hospital for my free flu jab, that was available to over 60's and people with diabetes, Thais were being turned away because they lived outside the area.

I do not know how many provinces run a mobile health clinic but there is one in Chonburi and it is deployed to outlying regions free of charge, not something that city dwellers are likely to come across.

The benefit of the yellow book is subject to individual circumstances  and for people to say there is no benefit is not particularly helpful.

36 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I didn't say that, so please do not distort the post.

The Thai health system is a paid for service , one way or another. From time to time they do offer some free services to the residents of a certain area and the holders of a yellow book are considered a resident. When I was at the Chonburi hospital for my free flu jab, that was available to over 60's and people with diabetes, Thais were being turned away because they lived outside the area.

I do not know how many provinces run a mobile health clinic but there is one in Chonburi and it is deployed to outlying regions free of charge, not something that city dwellers are likely to come across.

The benefit of the yellow book is subject to individual circumstances  and for people to say there is no benefit is not particularly helpful.

I was being helpful as Mrs.Trans took my yellow book to our local hospital to find out. She was told the number you are given in your yellow book has a prefix number before or after the main number, can't remember which, that prefix number tells a gov hospital if you are entitled to free stuff or not. Mine tells them I am not. So, we are not auto accepted, well for sure in my area..:stoner: 

4 minutes ago, transam said:

I was being helpful as Mrs.Trans took my yellow book to our local hospital to find out. She was told the number you are given in your yellow book has a prefix number before or after the main number, can't remember which, that prefix number tells a gov hospital if you are entitled to free stuff or not. Mine tells them I am not. So, we are not auto accepted, well for sure in my area..:stoner: 

Not free as such register at your goverment hospital using the book. You will find you pay thai price to see a quack. 

KK RAM see a quack 500bht up 

Goverment hospital 50bht period.

Local clinics as stated free for flu jab and if ill they can get you admitted to main hospital a lot quicker. However if you are really ill i wouldnt hesitate to phone an ambulance.

Edited by jeab1980

My Thai wife and I recently purchased a home in Buriram. Of course the blue house book  was in her name but on the  second page of the blue book there is a place for my name as co-inhabatent  or husband. . we then went to our local amphur to get my yellow book and pink i.d. card. This was not an easy process. We applied on a Friday and  the lady said she would call my wife the next week, well no call. so the following Monday we went back to the amphur and the lady gives my wife more documents and asks for more documents, This went on everyday for a week. Finally she told us we had to go see the local headman, which we did. I left him a tip for his services, not tea money but a tip. Finally we get a call from the amphur to come to her office. Here we meet the headman again. He signs some papers she gives me the prized yellow book.

I then go over to the i.d office they take my photo and fingerprints, no charge. i agree it was a hassle but i feel it was worth the effort. 

On another  note there is a number issued on the pink i.d. card. Mine is # 33 i have friends in Buriram who have been here 10 years and have number 7 & 8 so for as my farangs that are living in Buriram province they don't issue too many yellow books or i.d. cards

Hope this helps. all the happened in the past month. 

8 minutes ago, transam said:

You are not being helpful because you are mixing up the standard health service with specific free services.

7 minutes ago, Blue bruce said:

My Thai wife and I recently purchased a home in Buriram. Of course the blue house book  was in her name but on the  second page of the blue book there is a place for my name as co-inhabatent  or husband. . we then went to our local amphur to get my yellow book and pink i.d. card. This was not an easy process. We applied on a Friday and  the lady said she would call my wife the next week, well no call. so the following Monday we went back to the amphur and the lady gives my wife more documents and asks for more documents, This went on everyday for a week. Finally she told us we had to go see the local headman, which we did. I left him a tip for his services, not tea money but a tip. Finally we get a call from the amphur to come to her office. Here we meet the headman again. He signs some papers she gives me the prized yellow book.

I then go over to the i.d office they take my photo and fingerprints, no charge. i agree it was a hassle but i feel it was worth the effort. 

On another  note there is a number issued on the pink i.d. card. Mine is # 33 i have friends in Buriram who have been here 10 years and have number 7 & 8 so for as my farangs that are living in Buriram province they don't issue too many yellow books or i.d. cards

The pink cards are relatively new. I have had my yellow book since 2010 but got the card about 2 years ago when Chonburi started doing them, mine is number 7. I had to make an appointment as there was only one woman that had been trained to do it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

You are not being helpful because you are mixing up the standard health service with specific free services.

I pay for anything l want done at my hospital even though l have a yellow book, and  pay more for pharmacy stuff..  So back to my unhelpful post, yellow book does not "auto" give you anything....I was told IF my prefix number  was "X" l would get "concessions" , but it ain't "X".

Mrs.Trans family member works in the admin at the hospital, she went and asked the boss, his reply was what l have written here.. 

Can you advise what documents you took to your local amphur?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, baneko said:

Can you advise what documents you took to your local amphur?

Thanks

If he did unless your using the same amphoe it would be pointless they all have there own take on what documents needed. Best bet go to yours and ask.

Edited by jeab1980

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

If he did unless your using the same amphoe it would be pointless they all have there own take on what documents needed. Best bet go to yours and ask.

No, the documents are listed in the regulations regarding the yellow book.

They can ask for additional documents, in that case you can ask them to state the documents and the reason for the additional documents. This must be done in writing and be signed by the district chief himself and can be challenged in court. Most amphur's will back down as they don't have a valid reason. Often it is just a case of poor English skills, so they want you to provide an official translation of things. Help them a bit with official documents you have and it will not be much of a problem.

26 minutes ago, Preacher said:

No, the documents are listed in the regulations regarding the yellow book.

They can ask for additional documents, in that case you can ask them to state the documents and the reason for the additional documents. This must be done in writing and be signed by the district chief himself and can be challenged in court. Most amphur's will back down as they don't have a valid reason. Often it is just a case of poor English skills, so they want you to provide an official translation of things. Help them a bit with official documents you have and it will not be much of a problem.

Yeh ok. As stated go ask amphoe what they require easier and a lot less hassle and less confrontational than the above. 

Yes I beleive thats would be the best option. Not too many not to many non thai residents around here so may be tricky.

On 18/08/2017 at 7:46 AM, jeab1980 said:

I am lucky i live in a province where it was easy to get yellow tabien baan and all authorities (exempt immigration who luckily dont need to see it)

Accept the book and or the ID card readily. Ive used the ID card all over Thailand with no problems at all for hotels and internal flights and phone contract with Dtac  in my banks. I have had the yellow book translated and notorized by the British Embassy, and have used it as part of a range of papers for matters arising in my birth country UK. I have no idea how much a COR is at KK immigration but if i say 200bht then over the time ive had the book i estimate to have saved 3000bht in COR fee's alone.

So is it worth it YES

Impressive stuff, well just to counter that, this year I have renewed Brit passport, purchased air tickets, renewed 5 year DL for third time, opened BK Bank fixed savings account, approx 3K km driving holiday in the south of Thailand with wife, staying in several guest houses/hotels, being stopped at umpteen Police/Army check points for ID, Passport, DL, where you going/to BS.

If you are legally married to a Thai you can get an address certificate at the Tessabaan free. In 15 years here never had an Imm COR.

Q. yellow book worth it,      up to you.

4 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

Impressive stuff, well just to counter that, this year I have renewed Brit passport, purchased air tickets, renewed 5 year DL for third time, opened BK Bank fixed savings account, approx 3K km driving holiday in the south of Thailand with wife, staying in several guest houses/hotels, being stopped at umpteen Police/Army check points for ID, Passport, DL, where you going/to BS.

If you are legally married to a Thai you can get an address certificate at the Tessabaan free. In 15 years here never had an Imm COR.

Q. yellow book worth it,      up to you.

Correct as ive always said. Diffrence is i dont have to carry Passport is all. Yes  address certificates are free at certain Amphoe but mines  free all over thailand should i need it.

But as stated the choice is yours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Correct as ive always said. Diffrence is i dont have to carry Passport is all. Yes  address certificates are free at certain Amphoe but mines  free all over thailand should i need it.

But as stated the choice is yours.

Before I got mine Mrs.Trans told me that Thai "folk" will look at me in a "different light" with a yellow book...So I went for it.

At the time I was on the Police books to help out farangs with a ploblem if l could, so asked the police boss to write an official letter stating he knew me and where l lived, which he did.

Went to get a yellow book and they would not accept his letter, :sad:, must be the head man of my area, a guy who l had never met and he didn't know where l lived.

Anyhooo, took him with us to sort it, took about 20 minutes..

1 minute ago, transam said:

Before I got mine Mrs.Trans told me that Thai "folk" will look at me in a "different light" with a yellow book...So I went for it.

At the time I was on the Police books to help out farangs with a ploblem if l could, so asked the police boss to write an official letter stating he knew me and where l lived, which he did.

Went to get a yellow book and they would not accept his letter, :sad:, must be the head man of my area, a guy who l had never met and he didn't know where l lived.

Anyhooo, took him with us to sort it, took about 20 minutes..

Yes head man comes in handy. Ours lives two houses away. He is in Amphoe every monday so didnt have to take him. He just signed to say i live here.

I went today to Phanat Nikhom Amphur office. Required was wife with house book. Headman, certified copy of Passport in Thai, marraige cert and mother and fathers name DOB and where they were born. Different everywhere.

• 11 months later...