Sharks being fished out of existence in Thai waters

webfact

It's all due to the improvement in the economy of our great friend China, whose people love these weird foods and medicines from disappearing wildlife, and where the market for them has exploded.

While Thailand continues to cosy up to China, the ravages will carry on until the jungles and seas cease to be inhabited by the very animals needed for the survival of the ecosystem and the attraction of tourists.

13 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

The thing that surprised me about Thailand is the lack of birds of prey like buzzards & kites which are extremely common in India, I presume the farmers have poisoned them much the same as it used to be in the UK.

Might be a lack of habitant for both bird and food supply. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_buzzard

Could not find sources about birds of prey in SE Asia.  My guess is that there just not enough habitat left.  It has either been deforested or farmed. 

13 hours ago, atyclb said:

having lived and surfed in hawaii i cant exactly break out into tears over the tiger sharks gone.

Really? The ocean is their domain and not yours and you enter it at your own risk.

4 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

The sharks are an important species in the oceans complex eco system you and your stupid board are not.

tigers are the ones usually involved in attacks/deaths/loss of limbs for swimmers, snorkelers, surfers, boogie boarders some of which are children.

do you not think the above do indeed understand the ecosystem?

in hawaii its not uncommon for tigers to be hunted after they attack people.

so precisely which part of a swimmer or snorkeler is "stupid" ?

55 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Really? The ocean is their domain and not yours and you enter it at your own risk.

really now, could that be the reason surfers refer to sharks as "the landlord" 

tv forum is such an amazing place for education and academia

14 hours ago, atyclb said:

having lived and surfed in hawaii i cant exactly break out into tears over the tiger sharks gone.

Right...because your "playtime" invading their habitat is more important than a species and worthy of extinction. :post-4641-1156693976:

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Right...because your "playtime" invading their habitat is more important than a species and worthy of extinction. :post-4641-1156693976:

you may wish to research the term "in context" and you may be surprised to learn my comment does not necessarily = worthy of extinction to satisfy my playtime . LOL

then again this tvf  or perhaps the "ministry of truth"

Edited by atyclb

5 hours ago, atyclb said:

really now, could that be the reason surfers refer to sharks as "the landlord" 

tv forum is such an amazing place for education and academia

Well, if they do then they are probably right...evolution designed them to be the top ocean predator...respect it! Just be thankful that the Megalodon went extinct a couple of million years ago...it was a hell of lot bigger and would have the present Great White for breakfast.

19 hours ago, Chpied said:

Yes I agree sadly a classic case of " tragedy of the commons".

Back in 2015 the EU put Thailand on notice to clean up and regulate there fishing industry, a yellow card so to speak.

If they don't show signs of conforming they faced a ban on fishing exports, the English consume around €153 million of Thai fish exports per year.

I do remember last year seeing the Prime Minister on Tv, he was trying to explain to the fishing villages that although they have been fishing with no limits for generations, that if they don't conform and regulate the industry, they will all miss out and be red carded from EU exports.

I'm sure a very tough challenge but one I hope Thailand embraces and sees the need of sustainable fisheries for there own futures.

Education, Education, Education is the key, if they don't buy in and understand the long term ramifications, then in most cases there isn't a reversal to stocks once depleted.

while i agree with you, i dont think there are many thai out there in that industry that either understand the issue, believe the govt or just give a d**n; likely the only way they can make a living (for the time being)