Man arrested with 599kg of marijuana after truck overturns in Phatthalung

webfact

Man arrested with 599kg of marijuana after truck overturns

By The Nation

Police on Thursday arrested a man near a police checkpoint in Phatthalung for possession of 599 kilograms of marijuana after his vehicle overturned.

The suspect, Banjong Hatthaphan, 45, a resident of Samut Songkram, refused to stop at the border checkpoint in Tambon Chamuang of Phatthalung’s Khuan Khanoon district at 9:30 am, prompting police to drive after him.

During the brief chase, a tyre on Banjong’s pickup burst, causing the vehicle to overturn, revealing drugs hidden under bags of fertiliser.

The marijuana was hidden in plastic bags in 599 bars, weighing one kilogram each.

Banjong initially managed to escape by boarding a passenger van bound for Nakhon Si Thammarat but police followed the van and arrested him in Nakhon Si Thammarat’s Chulabhorn district.

The suspect said he had been hired for Bt200,000 to take the drugs from Ratchaburi’s Srimuang district to a buyer at a petrol station in Songkhla’s Rattaphum district.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30324093

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-17

Amazing Thailand .. amazing you always. Once again totally inept people on both sides of the story.

1. Despite ferrying a very large quantity of illegal substances, the driver can't even dodge a simple police checkpoint (not exactly rocket science to have a friend with a phone drive 2 minutes ahead)

2. panics and doesn't stop at the checkpoint (pretty likely to arouse some suspicion?)

3. can't even perform basic maintenance on his vehicle (admittedly no surprise in this country)

4. Police give chase and the vehicle crashes, yet they still are not able to apprehend the suspect (to the extent that he's able to escape his overturned vehicle, flag down and board a passenger van)

Thank you Thailand you never fail to amuse!

1 minute ago, RowdyAlpha said:

599kg + 401kg = 1 ton. It's the same thing I'm confused ?????

My head is stuck in the sand as against somewhere else

Plus I am English 5555555

2240 Imperial ton, I think thats something like 1016 point something kilos

1000 kilos metric tonne

Then I think there is the short and long Tonne

Anyway thats enough of that