Seeking a liveable city? Try Melbourne, skip Lagos and Damascus

Jonathan Fairfield

Seeking a liveable city? Try Melbourne, skip Lagos and Damascus

2017-08-16T150924Z_1_LYNXNPED7F16H_RTROPTP_4_GLOBAL-CITIES.JPG

LONDON (Reuters) - Melbourne and Vienna are the most liveable cities in the world, but you should probably steer clear of Lagos and Damascus, an annual survey has suggested.

The Economist Intelligence Unit's 2017 Global Liveability Report notes that a decade of declines in the ease of living has now stabilized, although a number of cities have suffered from the "spreading perceived threat of terrorism".

The five most improved cities over the past five years are Tehran, Dubai, Abidjan, Harare and Colombo -- although all remain in the lower half of the 140 cities included.

The biggest decliners are Kiev, Damascus, Tripoli, Detroit and Moscow.

Rankings are calculated using a number of factors including crime, healthcare, climate, corruption and censorship.

Here are the EIU's top 10 cities to live in: Melbourne, Vienna, Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, Adelaide, Perth, Auckland. Helsinki, Hamburg.

And the 10 least liveable cities in reverse order are: Kiev, Douala, Harare, Karachi, Algiers, Port Moresby, Dhaka, Tripoli, Lagos, Damascus.

(Reporting by Jeremy Gaunt; editing by Ken Ferris)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-17

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

And the 10 least liveable cities in reverse order are: Kiev, Douala, Harare, Karachi, Algiers, Port Moresby, Dhaka, Tripoli, Lagos, Damascus.

Kiev is a beautiful city. Way better than these other cities.

Born and raised in Melbourne.  The place is going down the toilet fast, Sudanese gangs are running rampant entering businesses and homes smashing property and taking what ever they want.  Terrorising and robbing computers on public transport and citizens living in fear.  House prices going through the roof with large overseas investors buying up everything they can get, homelessness on the rise, unemployment and cost of living skyrocketing, beggers on every street corner.  As a Melbournian it's definitely far from the most livable city 7 consecutive years running.

25 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Born and raised in Melbourne.  The place is going down the toilet fast, Sudanese gangs are running rampant entering businesses and homes smashing property and taking what ever they want.  Terrorising and robbing computers on public transport and citizens living in fear.  House prices going through the roof with large overseas investors buying up everything they can get, homelessness on the rise, unemployment and cost of living skyrocketing, beggers on every street corner.  As a Melbournian it's definitely far from the most livable city 7 consecutive years running.

Yep - it aint what it used to be 20 years ago and more.

These bulldust ratings are based on everything except what you spoke about. It seems they may be that way if you are living in Toorak or the inner City and have lots of money, but that reality aint the same for the majority of Melbourne residents in the less affluent areas, like Gladstone Park, Broadmeadows, Craigieburn or Casey.  

Hey, it is a great place to visit for the footy, racing, tennis, shows, restaurants, etc. but it aint so good where the majority can afford to live. And if I had the money, I reckon there are many cities in Europe, USA and Asia that would be my choice before Melb. I am not aware of any Australian who became a billionaire living in Melbourne (or Adelaide or Perth). The wealthy who live there now do so because they have to - business/family/social reasons - but many of them retire elsewhere when those issues no longer hold them there. 

54 minutes ago, Thechook said:

and you are forgetting the spate of gangland shootings this week.  Whenever I think of Melbourne I still think of skinheads and sharpies.  What a lovely lot.  Not to mention that they move to the left hand side of the road to turn right.

27 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

. I am not aware of any Australian who became a billionaire living in Melbourne (or Adelaide or Perth.

Rupert Murdoch, Lindsay Fox, John Gandel, Richard Pratt.

I'm not so sure things have worsened in Melbourne. 30 years ago, 2 police officers murdered in my very quiet inner suburban street, same time ( and linked?), nutters tried to blow up police HQ with a car bomb ( 200 metres from my office). Many other examples from Melbournes somewhat violent past.

Melbourne deserves to be on that list for what it's like today and the other 'liveable ' cities as well, all great.

Ive been to all the worst except PM. Been to a lot worse than many of them.

Edited by Prbkk

I agree whole heartedly, also is known as the nanny state over regulated and under serviced, an example I read the other day was that the Yarra city council whom represents inner n/e of Melbourne decided off there own bat to no longer refer to January 26 as Australia Day, this will be replaced by a "marking the loss of Indigenous culture" day, 5555 completely against the vast majority of Australian views, as a result I read old Malcolm (Prime Minister) will not allow that council to hold any citizenship ceremonies in the future.

It would be like the Americans getting rid of the Fourth of July and replacing it with making the loss of American Indian day.

The above post somes it up nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, Thechook said:

Yeah a gang of approx 150 member were allegedly dominating Melbourne - what a bunch of Melbournian losers. However, gang now mainly disbanded, members deported etc...

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/apex-gang-most-youth-crimes-committed-by-australianborn-police-say-20170412-gvj964.html

live in Australia anywhere if you want to pay the highest energy prices in the world,  unemployment is skyrocketing,  homelessness is getting worse year by year,  crime is becoming more prevalent, and generally a shit hole run by a shit hole government.

12 hours ago, car720 said:

and you are forgetting the spate of gangland shootings this week.  Whenever I think of Melbourne I still think of skinheads and sharpies.  What a lovely lot.  Not to mention that they move to the left hand side of the road to turn right.

Yes, that's correct.  But they only turn right when the traffic flow changes with the traffic lights

Makes a lot of sense once you watch it happening, especially in a city of trams.

There seem to be a lot of immigrants to Thailand who are very critical of immigrants to Australia.

This survey is done by the economist and is aimed at expat executives. It covers cost of accommodation, education, transport and the like. It does not cover people living and struggling in many cases in the outer suburbs.

12 hours ago, simple1 said:

Yeah a gang of approx 150 member were allegedly dominating Melbourne - what a bunch of Melbournian losers. However, gang now mainly disbanded, members deported etc...

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/apex-gang-most-youth-crimes-committed-by-australianborn-police-say-20170412-gvj964.html

And what part of Melbourne are you living in?  I've arrested the same guys 6 times in the last 14 months for violent home invasions, car thefts etc and put them before the courts just to be bailed out.  Over 200 prior offences, not Australian citizens and still on the streets.  Can assure you they haven't been deported and still running with the same Sudanese gangs.

Just now, Thechook said:

And what part of Melbourne are you living in?  I've arrested the same guys 6 times in the last 14 months for violent home invasions, car thefts etc and put them before the courts just to be bailed out.  Over 200 prior offences, not Australian citizens and still on the streets.  Can assure you they haven't been deported and still running with the same Sudanese gangs.

No longer live in MLB, but did live in South Yarra. So you've saying government reports of deportations and Deputy Commissioner Shane Patton statements are untrue?

3 minutes ago, simple1 said:

No longer live in MLB, but did live in South Yarra. So you've saying government reports of deportations and Deputy Commissioner Shane Patton statements are untrue?

South Yarra, very nice area and expensive high class, you must have done well for yourself.  Knew Shane when he worked in the Latrobe  Valley area and Heyfield.   Shot up the ranks in the last few years.  Shane plays the company line and a good copper.  Two were fronted for deportation but are still before the appeals court.

12 minutes ago, Thechook said:

South Yarra, very nice area and expensive high class, you must have done well for yourself.  Knew Shane when he worked in the Latrobe  Valley area and Heyfield.   Shot up the ranks in the last few years.  Shane plays the company line and a good copper.  Two were fronted for deportation but are still before the appeals court.

Brief off topic story. Good friend of mine whilst working for IBM - ex undercover NSW Police - died from heroin overdose in St Kilda.

7 minutes ago, expatoz said:

The title was paid for by Victorian tax payers. Anyone living in Melbourne know its no longer a fit place to live. Gangs, Muslims, crime, State Govt, Mayor of Melbourne, etc. etc. etc. The title is total bullshit

Sent from my SM-N910G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Which is why property values in Melbourne continue to rise because nothing attracts buyers like having a home knowing that it's in a city which is "no longer a fit place to live"

https://tradingeconomics.com/australia/housing-index