Very Convenient: Thailand now has over 10,000 7-Eleven stores

snoop1130

Very Convenient: Thailand now has over 10,000 7-Eleven stores

By Coconuts Bangkok

dsfgh.JPG

No, you’re not imagining things, there are 7-Eleven stores everywhere in Thailand. In June, Thailand passed the 10,000 store mark and the round-the-clock convenience chain plans to open 700 more stores this year and reach a total of 13,000 stores by 2021.

The franchise originated in the U.S. but is licensed in Asia by a Japanese company. In Thailand, the stores are operated by Charoen Pokphand Group (CP), and first opened in the country in 1989. So, it’s taken 28 years to open that many outlets, reported Bangkok Post.

At exactly 10,007 stores at the end of June, 7-Eleven is by far the most popular of the Japanese convenience stores operating in Thailand. FamilyMart has only 1,136 shops in Thailand and Lawson has just 85 stores in the country.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/convenient-thailand-now-10000-7-eleven-stores/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-8-17

10,000 stores x 300 or so plastic bags or various sizes dispensed and subsequently dumped in the countryside every single day, not to mention the utterly unnecessary 3 plastic straws and 2 plastic spoons that inevitably come with every single bag large or small. Bravo, Thailand, another world record on the books!

Edited by Misterwhisper

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

10,000 stores x 300 or so plastic bags or various sizes dispensed and subsequently dumped in the countryside every single day, not to mention the utterly unnecessary 3 plastic straws and 2 plastic spoons that inevitably come with every single bag large or small. Bravo, Thailand, another world record on the books!

Thailand started using degradable plastic bags a while back, not bio degradable though, just degradable, the tiny bits of plastic that they break down into present an even greater problem environmentally, the problem is just not visible for as long.

2 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

I can't remember the last time I walked out of a 7/11 with a plastic bag, and I've never walked out of one with a straw.  I just take a little personal responsibility and say "no bag, thank you".  Works a treat.

22 minutes ago, impulse said:

I can't remember the last time I walked out of a 7/11 with a plastic bag, and I've never walked out of one with a straw.  I just take a little personal responsibility and say "no bag, thank you".  Works a treat.

So do I. But the other 200 or 300 local customers generally do NOT refuse either bags nor straws nor plastic spoons. At least I have never seen a local rejecting their bag nor voice objection to the straws and spoons the cashier automatically dumps into their bag. Or have you?.  

Edited by Misterwhisper

2 hours ago, allane said:

In the late 90's, 7/11had a slogan of "2003 stores by 2003". By the time 2003 arrived, they had well surpassed that. They are doing something right.

I listened to a man who was considering buying a franchise store.

The spiel he received was that there should be a store within sight of another in all built up areas and thoroughfares.

Just imagine the impact on health problems for future generations if each of the 10.000 junk food stores sell over sweetened soft drinks and CP meals to just 30 kids a day, every day...

The results come out anything else but "convenient".

Edited by Lupatria

I don't understand how they can stay in business....granted I don't think I've been in one, but it seems counter intuitive to have one every 200m or so. I'm just as puzzled with Top Chareon(?) for glasses, they be everywhere and when I poppped in there, it was easily the priciest to choose from, nevermind the service having been terrible at that store, but that's another issue.

9 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Simple question....why do they not supply 100% bio degradable bags?

And I would assume that 7-11 is a global franchise company and the top brass are not Thai...so they also bear full responsability on polluting Thailand....

On this issue, it makes no sense to bash on the locals in Thailand who use the polluting bags....much of the pollution in developping countries comes from an arrogant careless attitude generating from their western corporate headquarters!!

How funny...blame the west...bad western people they just want to come here and make money. You're kidding right?  You need to look more into that franchise and you will find that the THAI Company are NOT liked at all by most Thais. PLUS they could easily implement a 'no plastic' policy but they are ALL about profit. 

8 hours ago, surangw said:

profit being spread thinner  with each new store

I've heard that most franchise owners make only between 50k - 70k profit and if your store goes over 100k profit then CP will open it's own store near yours (not sure if this is true or franchise owner paranoia, but I have seen 7's right next to each other which seemed odd)

16 hours ago, allane said:

In the late 90's, 7/11had a slogan of "2003 stores by 2003". By the time 2003 arrived, they had well surpassed that. They are doing something right.

Charoen Phokphand exert control over or own :-

the means of production

the distribution network

the retail network

Charoen Phokphand have significant input over the regulatory framework. This means that if the above market domination was not enough, they can and sometimes do influence government, manufacturers and suppliers to :-

place competitors at a disadvantage

stymie any investigation that would call their market share (read: effective monopoly) into question

place regulatory burdens on foreign competition that arose due to the IMF deal.

Edited by Briggsy

17 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Thailand started using degradable plastic bags a while back, not bio degradable though, just degradable, the tiny bits of plastic that they break down into present an even greater problem environmentally, the problem is just not visible for as long.

Maybe they could start encouraging customers to bring their own cloth bags. In China, you can't even get plastic bags anymore. If you do find them, they are small, flimsy and will cost you 0.40-0.50 Yuan per bag. No wonder few people bother - everyone brings their own bag or buys one at the counter if they don't have one.

39 minutes ago, SABloke said:

I've heard that most franchise owners make only between 50k - 70k profit and if your store goes over 100k profit then CP will open it's own store near yours (not sure if this is true or franchise owner paranoia, but I have seen 7's right next to each other which seemed odd)

seven.jpg.e2f7d7b69b3c7619d25cae2f05373c95.jpg

2 hours ago, Ceruhe said:

I don't understand how they can stay in business....granted I don't think I've been in one, but it seems counter intuitive to have one every 200m or so. I'm just as puzzled with Top Chareon(?) for glasses, they be everywhere and when I poppped in there, it was easily the priciest to choose from, nevermind the service having been terrible at that store, but that's another issue.

What's the deal with all the optical stores? Out of curiosity, I tried counting how many Thai women (I didn't want to bother counting men as well but it seems women are more likely to be glasses wearers) wear glasses in different places, like when stuck in traffic counting commuters waiting for taxis and buses at the bottom of BTS skytrain stations and walking on the road. I also did the same comparison inside shopping malls. I found the percentage to be around 15% based on counting 200-400 people at a time and I've repeated this on 7-8 occasions. While sizeable, it's not nearly high enough to justify all these optical stores. Going by how many there everywhere, even in small villages, you'd expect 80-90% of Thais would be long or short sighted but in fact it's lower than I thought, even in Bangkok. In Singapore, Hong Kong and places like Shanghai in China, around half of all people seem to wear glasses yet one doesn't see optical stores on every street corner in Singapore or Hong Kong.

Of course there is no way of knowing how many Thais wear contact lenses without staring into their eyes (lol), but I suspect glasses are more popular since they are easier to maintain though I could be wrong.

7 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Is there a law in Thailand that in urban areas there can be no more than 300 meters between  7-11 stores?

You'd think, wouldn't you?

Regarding the bags, in UK they have charged 5 pence per single use bag for some time. Initially I objected to it but apparently (and I can't be bothered to find the exact statistics) bag use has dropped dramatically.

Thing is that in UK, most stores also offer "bags for life" which you pay (say) 10 pence for but need to remember to take with you when you shop. I don't know how long it would take to persuade Thais to adopt that idea, but as they don't seem to be too aware of environmental issues, probably quite a long time!