IQOS legal ?

Master of the court

I wouldn't risk carrying them in. 

Lots of illegal items are for sale in the wide open and over the interweb in Thailand, but that doesn't mean you won't get banged up for possessing or using them.  Aside from the strict legality, there's always the issue of being a target of opportunity for a bent cop looking for a big payout.

If they're available at 7/11 or in one of the malls, go for it.  If they're available at a street kiosk, online, or a one-off shop, it's buyer beware.

For a short holiday, if you need the nicotine, get it the old fashioned way in Thailand.  It probably won't be the most hazardous thing you'll do here.

Does anyone know why they are illegal here? As far as I know, Thailand is the only country where they are illegal. And I read some place that in the UK the government is promoting them as a good alternative to smoking tobacco which makes sense. 

26 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

Does anyone know why they are illegal here? As far as I know, Thailand is the only country where they are illegal. And I read some place that in the UK the government is promoting them as a good alternative to smoking tobacco which makes sense. 

Thailand's tobacco company is actually called the Tobacco Monopoly.  They don't like the competition.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/world-travel/asia/travellers-being-warned-they-could-face-prison-time-for-using-ecigarettes-in-thailand/news-story/e2b6628a51fd0a296473d3ffd8ca101f

Vaping is not allowed in Thailand ,it's against  Thai law. Makes no difference what the law is in other countries violate here and the punishment can be up to 10 years imprisonment. Why the heck take the chance if you can't abide by the law best go somewhere else.

2 hours ago, Tony125 said:

http://www.news.com.au/travel/world-travel/asia/travellers-being-warned-they-could-face-prison-time-for-using-ecigarettes-in-thailand/news-story/e2b6628a51fd0a296473d3ffd8ca101f

Vaping is not allowed in Thailand ,it's against  Thai law. Makes no difference what the law is in other countries violate here and the punishment can be up to 10 years imprisonment. Why the heck take the chance if you can't abide by the law best go somewhere else.

Jesus, cool it! I just asked a simple question, why. I don't need a lecture on the laws here and following them.

Why should IQOS be illegal. It is not vapping. IQOS is a device that heats special branded proprietary cigarettes so the user gets the nicotine without smoke or ash. Marlboro is sold already so the govt gets their taxes. Pleas post the "Thai law" that prescribes a 10 year jail term for eCigarettes anyway.

9 hours ago, Dan5 said:

There are more than a dozen countries where they are illegal and the list is growing.

Thairath Online LOGIN News service news Newspaper Thai TV Lifestyle sport Entertainment Fiction News clips activities Thai Cheer Thailand Home / 

อ่านข่าวต่อได้ที่: https://www.thairath.co.th/content/1015917

Below link to "Where I can and cannot vape "

http://www.travelwithamate.com/what-countries-can-and-cant-i-vape-in/

22 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Why should IQOS be illegal. It is not vapping. IQOS is a device that heats special branded proprietary cigarettes so the user gets the nicotine without smoke or ash. 

I think you contradicted your 2nd sentence with the 3rd. 

I haven't a clue whether they're legal or not.  But I wouldn't want a stint in a Thai prison to be contingent on whether I could convince a Thai cop and a Thai judge that it's not vaping.

If you want a definitive answer, hire an attorney.  There's a 50% chance he'll actually give you the right answer.   And you still won't know for sure.  

If you want good advice, you've already gotten it in this thread.  Unless you can buy them at the local 7/11, suck it up and get your nicotine fix the old fashioned way while you're subject to the vagaries of Thai law.  Or you may try the patch or the gum...

Edited by impulse

I don't smoke or vape anything. I used to burn Premium Nicaraguan cigars on occasion, some of my friends are in the Cigar/Cognac brigades. The prohibition on "vaping" in Thailand appears to be another one of the Kingdoms' absurd contradictions. Where they come up with 10 years jail for what could amount to the crime of inhaling flavoured steam (0% Nicotine vape Juice) I would like to know. For example take Singapore, where there seems to be more transparency to their justice system. Everything other than cigs, cigars, and pipe tobacco appears to be banned. The fine listed is up to SGD 10,000 or 6 months in jail for first offence. (Import or sale, not possesion or use).

http://www.hsa.gov.sg/content/hsa/en/Health_Products_Regulation/Tobacco_Control/Overview/Tobacco_Legislation/Prohibition_on_Certain_Products.html