Security Tightened At Pha-ngan Full Moon Party

george

Security tightened at Surat Thani full moon party

SURAT THANI: -- The famous full moon party at Surat Thani in south Thailand is proceeding amid tightened security following a series of bombs on New Year's Eve in Bangkok.

Over 20,000 tourists, mostly foreigners, have flocked into Pha-ngan Island here, awaiting the full moon party on Thursday night on Hat Rin Beach, a classic event which enlivens the tourism industry -- and the livelihood of many Thai families -- on this island.

To ensure the security of the tourists, Surat Thani governor Niwat Sawadkaew has assigned a bomb-detection squad from the provincial border patrol police office to patrol the island, especially Hat Rin Beach and its vicinity.

In addition to uniformed police there will be an undisclosed number of police officers in plainclothes on patrol, and a team of officers from the Office of the Narcotics Control Board assigned to deter the party-goers from drug abuses.

--TNA 2007-01-04

Yeah I thought this was an odd report too, my mates down there and on the phone to him yesterday and he said he was gonna pop along to it. Didn't get postponed or anything did it?

I didn't think you could postpone a Full Moon...... :D:D:D:o:D

I don't know where they get this figure of 20,000. They used to say 12,000 which seemed way too much. I have been to a few full moon parties around the time of the Bali bombings and this threat was overhanging the party and was in the back of peoples minds. I hope nothing happens but the risk is always there. I honestly don't think any Thai political faction would do anything so extreme. Muslims maybe but anti-government elements, no way.

Nope, no postponement, happened last night, no bombs but lots of bombed people :o

And the size of the beach is deceptive thaitime, every single place on the island was full for the New Year and filled back up for the FMP. Plus all the boats coming over from Samui and Tao just for the party. I'd say 20,000 minimum.

Yeah I thought this was an odd report too, my mates down there and on the phone to him yesterday and he said he was gonna pop along to it. Didn't get postponed or anything did it?

I didn't think you could postpone a Full Moon...... :D:D:bah::o:bah:

They postpone the party on occasions, and under current govt I bet they could post the full moon too. :D

SBK, next time we'll require a proper head count, please take your marker pen. :D

And the size of the beach is deceptive thaitime, every single place on the island was full for the New Year and filled back up for the FMP. Plus all the boats coming over from Samui and Tao just for the party. I'd say 20,000 minimum.

I've run many events for up to 10,000 and the NYE Party just past on Koh Phangan was defiantely in the 20,000 plus mark...

But I've been to half a dozen full moon parties and I've never seen any of them anywhere near as big as the NYE just gone, normally I'd say 10,000 people would be a good existmate...

And last Wednesday night was considerable smaller than NYE, maybe 60-70% the volume. I don't think it had anything to do with bombs most of the 18-22yo here haven't read any news and were harldy award of what happened in BKK.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

I watched a documentary on Thai TV about these Full Moon parties.

Loads of dross, throwing their stinking rubbish everywhere, pissing & shitting in the sea, not a care for Thailand and it's environment.

The majority of locals don't want it, only kept going because a few powerful business people and drug dealers are making some money out of the parties.

It is costing the Thai taxpayer a lot of money having to cater for this scum, with policing and cleaning up rubbish.

I think a nice big bomb could solve the problem or maybe a juicy tidal wave that would serve a duel purpose by washing away these scum and their filth off the beaches.

Edited by distortedlink

I watched a documentary on Thai TV about these Full Moon parties.

Loads of dross, throwing their stinking rubbish everywhere, pissing & shitting in the sea, not a care for Thailand and it's environment.

The majority of locals don't want it, only kept going because a few powerful business people and drug dealers are making some money out of the parties.

It is costing the Thai taxpayer a lot of money having to cater for this scum, with policing and cleaning up rubbish.

I think a nice big bomb could solve the problem or maybe a juicy tidal wave that would serve a duel purpose by washing away these scum and their filth off the beaches.

I beg to differ. Whether low season or high, Haadrin locals and other islanders can depend on at least a few days of good business generated by the party every month. Then they can do things like pay for the rent, the staff, the new stock, the bills.

It's always been a big mess the morning after, because everyone works until dawn and then sleeps. Every bar/restaurants' staff is on the beach later to clean up. And sure it attracts thieves, thugs and dealers. But every big event does.

The Thai taxpayer pays? I don't think so. Officials make quite enough on party fines, which is possibly one reason for their big turnout.

If you live in Haadrin and you hate this event, just take a vakay to the other side of the island every full moon.