Pig raisers protest against import of pig meat from the US

webfact

Pig raisers protest against import of pig meat from the US

By Thai PBS

pig.jpg

Pig-raising associations throughout the country are protesting against what they alleged as “forced” import of pig meat from the US which Americans do not eat into Thailand.

A letter of protest was on Thursday (Aug 17) sent to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha through Pol Lt-Gen Chinpat Sarasin, a coordinator of Prime Minister’s Office and the Interior Ministry.

Mr Surachai Sutthitham, president of Thai Swine Raisers Association, alleged the USTR had put pressure on the Thai government to narrow US trade deficit with Thailand by exporting pig meat such as intestines and pig heads which the Americans do not eat into Thailand.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pig-raisers-protest-import-pig-meat-us/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-08-18

What would be really interesting is if we find out the US companies are owned by Chinese. In Alberta Canada almost all pork slaughter houses are chinese. Largest pork raisers are chinese also.So it is probably chinese dumping not real Americans.

30 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

I protest too, the pork here is excellent, why should I have to eat imported pork. At the very least it should be labeled as imported so that people have a choice.

You don't have to eat it, unless you are into intestines and heads.

31 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

I protest too, the pork here is excellent, why should I have to eat imported pork. At the very least it should be labeled as imported so that people have a choice.

I agree, the pork here is excellent, the family farm rears them and the slaughter man dispatches them, all within a stones throw of my house.  I cure, smoke and rest it and sit down for the best bacon breakfasts and Pancetta than money CANT buy in Thailand.

3 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

I agree, the pork here is excellent, the family farm rears them and the slaughter man dispatches them, all within a stones throw of my house.  I cure, smoke and rest it and sit down for the best bacon breakfasts and Pancetta than money CANT buy in Thailand.

love visiting the wifes suburb/village, pork,beef and poultry, grown and culled by locals, and she knows who puts what into the vegies and stock feed.

8 minutes ago, macksview said:

love visiting the wifes suburb/village, pork,beef and poultry, grown and culled by locals, and she knows who puts what into the vegies and stock feed.

Cant be doing with the local beef, animal looks weird and the meat tastes weird, I politely decline.

What would be really interesting is if we find out the US companies are owned by Chinese. In Alberta Canada almost all pork slaughter houses are chinese. Largest pork raisers are chinese also.So it is probably chinese dumping not real Americans.

Wrong. There's no major pork processors in Alberta. Try Manitoba and Ontario. Maple Leaf foods is largest hog processor in Canada, 100% Canadian owned. Sofina Foods very large processor in Ontario, 100% Canadian owned. Olymel in Canada is USA owned.

As i understand it, this already happened in Vietnam. Result - wholesale price of pigs fell due to market over supply. Vietnam pig producers are not happy as some face bankruptcy. Thailand hardly needs more pork ....... Maybe USA should pressurise China instead? Ahh..... no,  size matters in the bully market.

2 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Do you eat pig heads and intestines??  If no, then you got nothing to worry about

4 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

What would be really interesting is if we find out the US companies are owned by Chinese.

The largest US pork producer in 2015 was Smithfield Foods Inc that had about 25% of the total US number of sows. It's owned by the China-based WH Group Lt. The remaining producers appear to be American-based.

http://www.porelia.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/2015PorkPowerhousesChartREV.pdf

5 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

You eat pigs heads and intestines?