Thailand’s weird crackdown on boozy photos makes global headlines

snoop1130

14 hours ago, PAIBKK said:

I am wondering if showing wines on a restaurant's website in Thailand is allowed.

For example: http://avanti.co.th/wine/ca-momi-rosso-di-napa

I wonder what they will do with LIVE football like the Champions League as the main sponsor is Heineken.

I watched a live (pretty sure it was live, anyway. I'm not the football fan, my wife is) international match in Bangkok about six months ago, and they had software to pixellate the flashing banners round the pitch when the Heineken logo started moving across the banner. When the insurance company logo came round, the pixellation disappeared.

It was rather disconcerting, because you got players playing on the wing with their head and shoulders pixellated out as they played in front of the beer banner.

Edited by nisakiman

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/18/2017 at 8:58 PM, darksidedog said:

The Prime Minister should be happy. If the story also mentions you can be thrown in jail for an e cigarette, this will put Thailand in the number one spot globally for  country with the most insane and stupid laws.

In my extensive travels...not including the Middle East...Thailand laid claim to #1 long ago! :coffee1:

On 8/18/2017 at 6:29 PM, gummy said:

Shouldn't it read makes "Thailand look a hypocritical laughing stock" ?  Certainly has become since the coup.

not to the narrow-thinking, ultra conservative  current govt; until there is a significant opposition, they could not care less (but they will tell us the opposite)

On 8/19/2017 at 9:55 AM, hansnl said:

Blame the coup for everything wrong in the country, but most of all wrongs existing for decades.

People have very short memories and tend to forget why the army decided to step in.

On 8/19/2017 at 10:11 AM, Eric Loh said:

Will put this down as a junta achievement. Junta fan club will be over the moon with pride. :sleepy:

LOL, would you be referring to hansnl?  :shock1:

17 hours ago, nisakiman said:

That's how they advertise their beer now. All the big name sodas are named the same as the big name beers, so when they advertise the soda, they are also advertising the beer, as everyone is familiar with the brand name. Why else would there be both Singha and Leo brand sodas? It's only fizzy water, probably from the same source.

It's quite a clever ploy, actually. Sidesteps the beer advertising ban quite neatly.

'It's quite a clever ploy, actually. Sidesteps the beer advertising ban quite neatly.'

Pleasantly understated. It is a brilliant ploy , the government takes the Thai people and customers for fools, so the all powerful breweries, Chang and Singha, Leo advertise soda water while showing a pretty boy attending a party where the  guests will consume large quantities of soda water accompanied by whisky and other 'poisonous substances'.:burp::drunk:

They take the population for complete idiots with this stupid ban.

Edited by ratcatcher

On 8/21/2017 at 5:52 AM, oldhippy said:

I am all in favour of banning (public) ads for alcohol - included for Chang soda or sports events.

But banning pics with beer or wine on Facebook etc???

Has this been confirmed?

If so, it is paternalism of the worst kind.

Why on earth are you in favour of banning ads for alcohol?

We're not so easily led that seeing an advertisement for beer is going to make us rush out and get hopelessly drunk. It's also not going to make kids borrow their dad's pistol so they can hold up the nearest 7/11 and steal all their Chang. These people who make these laws live in a fantasy world, where no-one has any control over themselves, and the mere sight of a bottle of beer is enough to induce a schizophrenic transformation from Jekyll to Hyde. I mean, really, does the sight of a beer advert make you want to rush out and buy a case of Heineken? Because if so, you have a problem. 

Christ, up until the nannies of this world got their grubby little hands on the reins of power, we all were exposed to alcohol advertising (and tobacco advertising) all our lives. Are we all alcoholics and smokers? This whole 'banning advertising' is just the infantilisation of adults, and is an insult to our intelligence. The people who instigate this stupidity are professional 'Public Health' tax troughers who rely on lobbying for new bans to keep their jobs; and puritanical zealots (who by definition have psychological problems) who can't bear to think of anyone enjoying life in a way they don't approve of. The whole sorry shambles of 'Public Health' should be swept away, and we should be allowed to get on with our lives as we see fit. The world would be a better place.

4 hours ago, nisakiman said:

Why on earth are you in favour of banning ads for alcohol?

We're not so easily led that seeing an advertisement for beer is going to make us rush out and get hopelessly drunk. It's also not going to make kids borrow their dad's pistol so they can hold up the nearest 7/11 and steal all their Chang. These people who make these laws live in a fantasy world, where no-one has any control over themselves, and the mere sight of a bottle of beer is enough to induce a schizophrenic transformation from Jekyll to Hyde. I mean, really, does the sight of a beer advert make you want to rush out and buy a case of Heineken? Because if so, you have a problem. 

Christ, up until the nannies of this world got their grubby little hands on the reins of power, we all were exposed to alcohol advertising (and tobacco advertising) all our lives. Are we all alcoholics and smokers? This whole 'banning advertising' is just the infantilisation of adults, and is an insult to our intelligence. The people who instigate this stupidity are professional 'Public Health' tax troughers who rely on lobbying for new bans to keep their jobs; and puritanical zealots (who by definition have psychological problems) who can't bear to think of anyone enjoying life in a way they don't approve of. The whole sorry shambles of 'Public Health' should be swept away, and we should be allowed to get on with our lives as we see fit. The world would be a better place.

Ads for alcohol play on our sub conscious mind.

In these ads drinking alcohol is associated with succes in life, with happiness, with being popular, with being healthy and sportive.

If the ads had no effect, why would alcohol companies spend so much money on them?

The ads do not aim for an immediate response, they create a mood, a lifestyle, an attitude.

Of course you are partly right, intelligent people probably see through these ads.

But this is Thailand, with a mostly poorly educated population.

Thailand now is very much like Europe in my childhood days - yes we too had rampant drinking, and drinking was seen as "manly", "a real man can drink and drive & impress women all at the same time".

Please do not put me in the same bin as those puritanical paternalist zealots that rule this country. And yes, they can be found in Europe too, notably in Norway.

I enjoy living, and therefore I drink alcohol - but only for my own satisfaction, not to impress others.

And in my home country, Belgium, drinking Trappist is a sign of good citizenship 555. It differentiates "Belgian" Belgians from muslim "Belgians". :sorry:

52 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Subliminal advertising may "play" on the subconscious but there appears to be no definitive statistical evidence that it drives the one's conscious to action. Especially, someone who has no or unfavorable experience with the advertised product.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30878843

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

If the ads had no effect, why would alcohol companies spend so much money on them?

To get people who already use the product to use it more.

How is that evil?

10 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Subliminal advertising may "play" on the subconscious but there appears to be no definitive statistical evidence that it drives the one's conscious to action. Especially, someone who has no or unfavorable experience with the advertised product.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30878843

That research has nothing to do with beer ads.

The research is ONLY about flash messages hidden in movies. Something completely different from suggesting a succesfull lifestyle connected to drinking alcohol..

On 20/8/2560 at 8:50 PM, ratcatcher said:

'It's quite a clever ploy, actually. Sidesteps the beer advertising ban quite neatly.'

Pleasantly understated. It is a brilliant ploy , the government takes the Thai people and customers for fools, so the all powerful breweries, Chang and Singha, Leo advertise soda water while showing a pretty boy attending a party where the  guests will consume large quantities of soda water accompanied by whisky and other 'poisonous substances'.:burp::drunk:

They take the population for complete idiots with this stupid ban.

what about the big news item yesterday,THAILAND IS ONE OF THE CHEAPEST PLACES IN THE WORLD FOR A B--R.

no mention about SODA WATER.

On 20/08/2017 at 8:50 PM, ratcatcher said:

In Belgium (and probably many other countries) we found a solution for that.

The advertising industry has its own regulatory body, consisting of only advertising companies, no government.

They have no legal powers, but command a high respect in the sector.

Leo and Chang would never get away with promoting their soda water!

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

In these ads drinking alcohol is associated with succes in life, with happiness, with being popular, with being healthy and sportive.

The ads do not aim for an immediate response, they create a mood, a lifestyle, an attitude.

Don't forget that advertising is also tax relief for them as well.

On 19/08/2017 at 5:50 AM, oldhippy said:

The present and the previous king of Belgium better be carefull with what they post on their facebook.....

bui.trouwerij.jpg

index.jpg

Not to mention ex Gods emissary on this earth " Rolie " Ratzenberger .. 

_20170826_211251.JPG

Edited by Justgrazing
Spelling

On 2017-08-18 at 2:17 PM, Joebuzz said:

Booze & cheap women.....what else have they got?  Following three years there I finally realized there was nothing there that I couldn't live without.  On to better places.

You can live without booze and cheap women??? Oh, dear! Please post the recipe in this forum. It´s gonna be vital and extremely important to hundreds of members. :cheesy:

Ex F1 world champ , boozer , tabber , scrapper and prolific sh*gger of Airline hostess's James Hunt would never get away with this now even if he's possibly the only guy who could make swigging a bottle of champers look cool particularly being an ex public schoolboy .. 

_20170827_083533.JPG

30 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

When she put this pic on her facebook, I immediately unfriended her.

I hope the Thai government will be lenient towards me, otherwise it will be Run oldhippy Run.....

Now don't ask me to explain my joke please.

president_obama_tom_hanks_queen_elizabeth_toast_may2011.jpg

Tom Hanks , Forest Gump possibly by perchance .?