The race to rescue Cambodian children from orphanages exploiting them for profit

geovalin

Despite good intentions, Australians and others from western countries are often propping up Asian orphanages that separate children from families. Now there’s new efforts to tackle some of the consequences of ‘voluntourism’

Much was hidden from the tourists visiting Sinet Chan in her rundown Cambodian orphanage. When they returned to their hotels, cameras full and best intentions sated, they remained oblivious to the reality of what they had just supported.

Chan, the nine-year-old who sang and danced for them, was being starved. She and the other children hunted and ate mice to survive.

The orphanage’s director beat and raped her, repeatedly, over the course of several years. She was forced to toil in his rice paddies and farms without pay. Clothes and toys donated to her would be taken to the market, sold, and used to line the director’s pockets.

“I thought it might be a good place. Maybe I could have enough food to eat, have a chance to go to school. But actually what I imagined is wrong,” Chan told Guardian Australia. “He dressed us up looking poor so the visitors see us, they feel pity for us, and they donate more,” she said.

read more https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/19/the-race-to-rescue-cambodian-children-from-orphanages-exploiting-them-for-profit

there is a desperate shortage of paedophiles and so ngo's send pretty small children into the tourist areas in the hope of a catch.

ngo's rely on paedophiles to support their new lifestyles.

ever noticed tables of children in the tourist restaurants?

surely this should stop.

51 minutes ago, jobsworth said:

there is a desperate shortage of paedophiles and so ngo's send pretty small children into the tourist areas in the hope of a catch.

ngo's rely on paedophiles to support their new lifestyles.

ever noticed tables of children in the tourist restaurants?

surely this should stop.

I doubt these children have anything to do with NGOs or pedophiles, but they do go to show visitors to the country that despite (or perhaps even because of) the huge amount of foreign aid flowing into Cambodia the powers that be dont give a single <deleted> about the welfare of their people

Edited by phycokiller