Reporting motorcyclists on the sidewalk - first ten "super grasses" paid out!

rooster59

18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For your information, there have been farangs who have been killed in BKK in past years after/when getting run over from behind by speeding motorcyclists on the sidewalks. And, just the other day in one of the threads on this subject, a poster here mentioned having been run down from behind and having both kneecaps broken by a sidewalk motorcyclist along Silom Road.

So frankly, if reporting these lawbreakers who endanger those around them would help put a stop to this dangerous practice, I'd do it for free. The reward is just an added bonus.

The area where I live in BKK constantly has motorcyclists riding down the sidewalks, particularly along Sukhumvit Road during rush hours. Anything that helps put a stop to that is a good move in my book, reward or no reward.

Excellent idea and you should get a national award , something like the Order of the Pink Elephant if anybody reports 1000 infringements or more a year.   Should do this throughout Thailand. Also for drivers on the hard shoulder and speeding.  

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a very good idea, so many on here moaning and saying why should Joe Public be asked to do the polices job ? You know full well that if the cops do it the money ends up in their pockets, it is in the public,s interest to get involved in this, the more motorcyclists that are reported and fined the less others will be tempted to ride on the pavement (I'm British :smile:) So a win win all round.

An interesting slant to this, if a motorcycle rides down a particular pavement and is snapped and reported by say, three people, will he/she get three fines ?

And anyway, I don't accept this moral high ground about snitching on people, it is against the law, don't do it then you won't get fined. This means that BKK has (potentially) millions of eyes working for it, hopefully making the pavements a safer place for pedestrians.

1 hour ago, LatPhrao said:

Thailand - Now becoming  Land of Finks?  Certainly if their whinging, falang admirers have their say.  Scooters on sidewalks may be an inconvenience for some but not a problem.

That's why they call them footpaths.

5 hours ago, jimstar1 said:

Great Idea all for it got my wife out now with camera easy money  better then trying to sell food on street

i time honored profession  , being  El Snitch-o  , camera man  extraordinaire.... 

4 hours ago, yellowboat said:

It shows lack of sophistication to just pay others to do your work for you when other more sophisticated methods are available, such as Thailand 4.0.  Use cameras.  They're cheap.  Nobody likes a snitch. 

"Nobody likes a grass", "snitches get stitches", and all those claptrap responses are wearisome. A lot of people like informers quite a lot -- law enforcement, prosecutors, judges, and especially the treasury.

5 minutes ago, 965purity said:

"Nobody likes a grass", "snitches get stitches", and all those claptrap responses are wearisome. A lot of people like informers quite a lot -- law enforcement, prosecutors, judges, and especially the treasury.

in the uk there is the crimestoppers phone line which is extremely successful in putting all manner of criminals behind bars. now maybe some people think turning in someone who has broken the law be it riding on the pavement, committed GBH, vandalised property, burgled houses, assaulted women sexually or otherwise, committed rape or murder makes them a 'grass' but i dont, i think it's playing your part in a civilised society. who wants to side with anti-social behaviour and criminals anyway?

5 hours ago, yellowboat said:

It shows lack of sophistication to just pay others to do your work for you when other more sophisticated methods are available, such as Thailand 4.0.  Use cameras.  They're cheap.  Nobody likes a snitch. 

Wait until someone gets their rear end kicked for taking a photo. Or people remove license plates. 

I used to ride my bike on the corner of Sukhumvit @ asok to park my bike while using the ATM at Citibank. The sidewalk was over 10 feet wide. Now I see there is a ฿5000 fine. There is no MC parking in the building. 

2 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

Wait until someone gets their rear end kicked for taking a photo. Or people remove license plates. 

I used to ride my bike on the corner of Sukhumvit @ asok to park my bike while using the ATM at Citibank. The sidewalk was over 10 feet wide. Now I see there is a ฿5000 fine. There is no MC parking in the building. 

Guess like most motorcyclist in this country you are just too plain lazy to walk 100 metres or less.   Still carry on being a danger to pedestrians.  TIT

3 hours ago, masuk said:

More efficient, selective, than CCTV which does the same job.

Also in the US, they have what some call "the gray squad" , authorized elderly folks like me.bhow can write parking violations for handicapped parking. They take a picture of the vehicle in the spot no handicapped plate or plackard and you get a $200 ticket in the mail..

A great defense would be to contest the violation in court. Claim the license number was photoshoped, and the court should give some consideration to that argument as the individual reporting the violation has a financial stake. Oh oh accuser must face defendant in person in court. Ha ha, I know where you live now...

Of course I have no idea of how the traffic system works here.  If one can even appeal a violation notice or not. 

6 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Thai rat Thai.  Suppose policing should come from somewhere, but paying people to rat on one another is a bit sick.  

No it is not.  I used to pay "rats" as you call them to tell me who had the illegal guns on the street so I could throw people like that in jail.  You call it ratting I call it being a responsible citizen.  If you think illegal guns should be on the street or people should be driving motorbikes threatening the lives and safety of others then you are a POS and a criminal supporter.  I hope you become  the next victim of crime or an unsafe motorcyclist.

11 minutes ago, gummy said:

Guess like most motorcyclist in this country you are just too plain lazy to walk 100 metres or less.   Still carry on being a danger to pedestrians.  TIT

I will wager you have not been there. First, during daylight you must ride a min of 1km to even find a place to park. When the ฿5000 fine was posted i started parking at Terminal 21 which required riding about 2 km to the nearest (illegal) turnaround on Sukhumvit then 2km back just to park. Yes, late night taxis and bikes park in the street but thats not possible in the day. Now I use the MRT. Oh and incedently I have never heard of a pedestrian injured by a person walking a motorbike on a sidewalk more less riding. But the fine was for parking not riding. 

21 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For your information, there have been farangs who have been killed in BKK in past years after/when getting run over from behind by speeding motorcyclists on the sidewalks. And, just the other day in one of the threads on this subject, a poster here mentioned having been run down from behind and having both kneecaps broken by a sidewalk motorcyclist along Silom Road.

So frankly, if reporting these lawbreakers who endanger those around them would help put a stop to this dangerous practice, I'd do it for free. The reward is just an added bonus.

The area where I live in BKK constantly has motorcyclists riding down the sidewalks, particularly along Sukhumvit Road during rush hours. Anything that helps put a stop to that is a good move in my book, reward or no reward.

Facts please, I challenge you to provide a link to even one news article showing a farang or any pedestrian killed by a speeding motorcycle rider on a sidewalk in BKK, I googled it with zero results. I have seen many riding on sidewalks usually (but not always) the sidewalks were either empty of pedestrians and never saw a bike "speeding". I do agree that motorcycles and bicycles should not be ridden on sidewalks, but it can be done safely in some instances. 

I am an old biker and I often drive in Bangkok and now with the age I travel more often by car, it is true that there are too many mopeds on the roads of Bangkok but it is also true that there are too many cars and roads are not suitable.
Constructing thousands of condos in Bangkok is good but we also have to think about the road infrastructure that is not made to accommodate so many vehicles.
So the authorities should rather look at the crucial question how to reduce the number of vehicle in Bangkok
And the police officers of the road should also give fines to all the vehicles which are stationed on the roads and block road traffic
Hunting that mopeds will not solve the problem of congested traffic

Edited by lookchine

1 hour ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I will wager you have not been there. First, during daylight you must ride a min of 1km to even find a place to park. When the ฿5000 fine was posted i started parking at Terminal 21 which required riding about 2 km to the nearest (illegal) turnaround on Sukhumvit then 2km back just to park. Yes, late night taxis and bikes park in the street but thats not possible in the day. Now I use the MRT. Oh and incedently I have never heard of a pedestrian injured by a person walking a motorbike on a sidewalk more less riding. But the fine was for parking not riding. 

I lived near there for 6 years and people like yourselves were a danger and still are to everyone. Just totally selfish because you are too lazy to walk.

1 hour ago, ThaiWai said:

No it is not.  I used to pay "rats" as you call them to tell me who had the illegal guns on the street so I could throw people like that in jail.  You call it ratting I call it being a responsible citizen.  If you think illegal guns should be on the street or people should be driving motorbikes threatening the lives and safety of others then you are a POS and a criminal supporter.  I hope you become  the next victim of crime or an unsafe motorcyclist.

Illegal guns and idiots parking and driving on the sidewalk is a big stretch.  Why is Thailand the only country that does this ?  Why can others get it under control with just policing ? 

2 minutes ago, gummy said:

I lived near there for 6 years and people like yourselves were a danger and still are to everyone. Just totally selfish because you are too lazy to walk.

I have lived here for a while and I try to share this planet with the rest of humanity. I do not think I am special that others have to do things to suit me. I find motorcyclists using the sidewalks to be polite and courteous for the most part.  They are no worse than cyclists using the sidewalk or guys on skateboards or those one wheeled electric thingies. 

Surely one of the reasons we came here was to embrace diversity, in all its forms.

2 hours ago, 965purity said:

Sure for serious crimes.  Some putz parking on the sidewalk or driving on it hardly rates the use of snitches. 

5 hours ago, Mansell said:

So if you see a drunk driver and you don't "snitch" on him and he kills people do you see how you are morally guilty for not "snitching"

And God forbid they kill your wife or one of your children......it kinda puts "snitching" in a different light. Like most things it is just your perspective or personal morality. I have no problem getting the morons off the sidewalk and back onto the streets where they can kill each other. You wouldn't ride your Harley down the sidewalk at speed.....or maybe you would? Only you can answer that one.

Overreact much ?  Drunk driving was not part of the article, but thanks for throwing that in for effect. Police should be able to handle this in Thailand like police in China, Taiwan, Malaysia.......    They should be more than capable. 

6 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Illegal guns and idiots parking and driving on the sidewalk is a big stretch.  Why is Thailand the only country that does this ?  Why can others get it under control with just policing ? 

Why does Thailand have this problem in the first place? It's because there are many, many things in Thailand that have been allowed to exist. Why are school children allowed to ride motorbikes to school, why are people allowed to ride motorbikes with 3 or 4 passengers, why are m'bikes allowed to ride on the wrong side of the road? Surprised that you feel the need to ask such an obvious question.

Just now, yellowboat said:

The ends do not justify the means.  If the BMA and RTP cannot handle this, then the city is hopeless.  Bangkok is a bit hopeless, never mind. 

You are asking Thailand to conform to your standards,or even perhaps standards that are acceptable in the developed world. Never going to happen in my lifetime, and unless you are in your 30's or 40's, probably not yours.

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

Who is going to monitor these thousands of "wireless" CCTV's in hanging baskets all over Thailand? Who pays for it? Have you seen the mess of wiring already hanging from posts in Thailand. You have seemed to overlooked the deterrent factor of the "grasses" reporting the motorcycles on the footpath. Once a few people have been reported and fined the word will spread, and hopefully it will become a thing of the past. Certainly a far cheaper option that what you suggest.

Here is a Thailand 4.0 less for you:  You do not need people to look at them.  Machine vision does the work and messages a "police officer out on patrol" :shock1:.  Guess how much the software costs ?  0 Baht.  It is free !  Intel produced it.  

RTP does not patrol.  They saunter around town.