Thai attitude to fat people

Bigdogfarang

I am about 85kgs off & on, average hight for my age, but wanted to get down to my old fighting weight of about 175, so went to a Thai nutritionist who weighed me, took measurements and immediately said I was 'Obese'.  Not overweight, not fat, 'Obese'!!  I don't consider myself even close to obesity, wear the weight well IMHO (got some muscle upper body & legs, but also a bit of belly fat, thats why I went to this weight clinic)   She started prescribing all sorts of pills and starvation portions of food, and even said I needed to eat five times a day - Of course that worked, starve anyone and they will lose weight.  As for funny remarks, the usual, got a baby in your belly, look like two Thai People in there, also the hands, my 'friendly' finger is at least two of theirs, even had a BG put my ring on her big toe once.

15 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

All fat people are barstards. Your self included emoji3.png

Being non-confrontational, kind, generous are much more highly valued here than being skinny and mean, mean-spirited and angry...

How is your life in Thailand going? Jealous that the older guys have all the pretty girls? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:35 AM, manhood said:

Yeah just what's with these more and more fat thais, especially the youngsters now!!!!!!!!!

Western food options. When Thais were mainly poor they had a limited diet which was apparently healthy. Now they have money they are eating too much fat, salt, sugar etc. Plus they now eat bread which is probably bad for us- in the past only rice.

Thais spoil their kids, and that includes giving them unhealthy food. Those mom and pop shops in the villages are full of unhealthy snack food.

Rich Thais did get fat. They have had a Miss Jumbo Queen beauty pageant for ages, which is for fatties.

• Like 2

Thais just call it like it is.. if you are fat they will call you fat. 

Deal with it and eat another hamburger.. Oh man with bacon and cheese I am kinda hungry now. 

Just like all the girls that call us handsome man ... they call it like it is.. we are all so handsome

If you are not bothered by it just stay the way you are. I felt ugly and lost 25 kg. I can tell you its hard to stay in shape with visible abs. Much easier eating and drinking what you want and not working out. On the plus side if you are slim and in shape you usually have more energy too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

If you are not bothered by it just stay the way you are. I felt ugly and lost 25 kg. I can tell you its hard to stay in shape with visible abs. Much easier eating and drinking what you want and not working out. On the plus side if you are slim and in shape you usually have more energy too.

Hmmmm.

Overweight people are far more likely to become diabetic and have other organ problems.

They also have problems with knee joints etc.

Finally, nurses don't like having to look after fat people because they are too heavy and give nurses bad backs. Also, if you are fat and end up in hospital, you will have to be lifted with a hoist which is very embarrassing.

How did you lose that much? I'd like to lose half that, but finding it very difficult.

Well done. That's a great achievement

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2017 at 3:37 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Hmmmm.

Overweight people are far more likely to become diabetic and have other organ problems.

They also have problems with knee joints etc.

Finally, nurses don't like having to look after fat people because they are too heavy and give nurses bad backs. Also, if you are fat and end up in hospital, you will have to be lifted with a hoist which is very embarrassing.

How did you lose that much? I'd like to lose half that, but finding it very difficult.

Th only organ problem I want is if an erection lasts more than 4 hrs, and if it does, I thank Deadpool :-)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

The reason they are rubbing your belly is for good luck Remember Budda is no lightweight

Best thing to do is drop to the floor on your back with legs and feet up in the air

If they keep rubbing your belly just wage your tail

• Haha 1

On 21/08/2017 at 1:12 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

I am about 85kgs off & on, average hight for my age, but wanted to get down to my old fighting weight of about 175, so went to a Thai nutritionist who weighed me, took measurements and immediately said I was 'Obese'.  Not overweight, not fat, 'Obese'!!  I don't consider myself even close to obesity, wear the weight well IMHO (got some muscle upper body & legs, but also a bit of belly fat, thats why I went to this weight clinic)   She started prescribing all sorts of pills and starvation portions of food, and even said I needed to eat five times a day - Of course that worked, starve anyone and they will lose weight.  As for funny remarks, the usual, got a baby in your belly, look like two Thai People in there, also the hands, my 'friendly' finger is at least two of theirs, even had a BG put my ring on her big toe once.

A very poorly trained nutritionist.

The op say's he is not fat in the American sense,considering they are the most obese nation in the world,he may well be no more than a wobbling tub of lard.

I try to drink lo cal beer such as San miguel light,generally i eat once a day in the evening,do you think our ancient ancestors ate 3 times a day? Sure Thais eat a lot,but if you look at the dishes they are mostly a lot of vegetables and rice,as for the graph i blame that mostly on the crap they flood into 7/11 for everything loaded with sugar which is a recent thing [i can't recall many in 1989 when i first came here] also Europeans/westerners have always had a diet high in dairy products,as we needed that due to the colder climate,where se asians did not,same reason our noses are different shapes due to climate,and our cocks bigger,cos Helga had big fat thighs to get past unlike se Asian women.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On August 20, 2560 BE at 10:23 AM, ksamuiguy said:

As you get older (over65) a few kg extra are good for you. Get sick of have injury best to have the extra back up to use in fighting what ever the problem is.

Interesting look it up slightly overweight as you get older good, obese no.

Seems the majority of (people) that die here seem to be unusually skinny by western standards.

When I had Dingi Fever that extra weight sure helped in my recovery time.

Is your observation that the 'majority' of Westerners dying here are 'unusually skinny' rooted in any form of fact or research ?

also, given that BMI is a standard for a more or less ideal body mass, that should also just be ditched then ?

your last statement is just your opinion, again not grounded in fact,so I suspect you may be an overweight person trying to justify its k to be overweight....

On 8/20/2017 at 1:19 PM, tryasimight said:

An old mate of mine, a railway worker, used to say (when referring to his gut)  'You can't drive a nine inch spike with a tack hammer".

I recon he was doing it all wrong.  Can't say the gut plays a major role in the activity.  

On 2/5/2019 at 4:30 AM, Bill Miller said:

First notice was when an unknown man stopped me on the street and, admiringly, patted my admittedly ample belly while proclaiming "You very fat!", all smiles. What could I do but smile back and agree?
It has since been revealed that my resemblance to Phra Sangkajjayana (laughing Buddha) suggests that I might be one of the billion reincarnations of "the future Buddha", and to touch his belly is good luck. ????

Play on it, you are on a winner. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

My hill tribe wife was telling me about a fat lady from Illinois who came on a group excursion to check out the elephants in her village, and all the long necked women, of which my wife is an amazing specimen.  She said the whole group was made up of fat people, but the lady from Illinois was in a class all her own.

I asked her, how fat was she?

My wife said, "She was so fat, when she sat on a rainbow, Skittles shot out."

I couldn't believe my ears (she was speaking in her native dialect).  So, I had to ask again, "How fat was she?"  

"She was so fat, smaller fat ladies would orbit around her," she replied.

I asked again, "How fat was she?"

She said, "When she heard me ask for pigs in a blanket, she ran into a hut and jumped in the village elders bed."

Anyway, this back and forth lasted for hours, and then we had sex five or six times, at least.  (I'm not good with these northern dialects, but I wanted you to have the gist. 

Edited by Dolmance
Spelling and grammar corrections.

• 1 month later...

When we westerners say 'you are Fat' to somebody then most probably we want to hurt somebody.

This is not the case in Thai, its just a honest word that doesn't be meant to make you being ashamed.

It is in most cases used as a motivation to laugh together about a situation, taking it personally is the incorrect way.

Its surely a bit of a clash between western and Thai mentality in the way we are grown up, but the meanings are way apart. 

Here a joke built on two meanings:

"Don't eat anything fatty." 

"Oh, you mean bacon, Fries, Pork Belly?"  

"No, I said, Don't eat anything, Fatty!"

On 2/5/2019 at 4:07 AM, stud858 said:

I witnessed one Thai lady ask another how long before the baby is due? There was no baby. I could see it but the Thai lady asking couldn't see it that the over weight lady was just choosing the wrong dress. 

I get that comment a lot.