No exit stamp in passport, kept departure card when leaving Thailand.

Airlines today keep records

Approach the airline explain the predicament and they are likely to give you a letter  confirming you left the country on such and such a flight on a certain date, also do you collect air miles that statement will also sho your flight out

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is was his mistake for not realizing that he had to clear immigration in order to leave the country. It cannot be blamed entirely on the authorities at the airport although it should not be possible.

Exactly correct. The OP should have realised at the time that he had not cleared Immigration. He is at fault in the eyes of Immigration and Thai law.

I recommend not just flying into Thailand and hoping for the best. I Recommend he contacts his nearest Thai embassy or consulate and sorts this out before he flies. 

Exactly correct. The OP should have realised at the time that he had not cleared Immigration. He is at fault in the eyes of Immigration and Thai law.

I recommend not just flying into Thailand and hoping for the best. I Recommend he contacts his nearest Thai embassy or consulate and sorts this out before he flies. 

Airports can be confusing to people, rushing through, anxious etc, so its mainly the authorities fault although that won't help when he re-enters.

This must happen a lot, he can't be the only one.

Assumption: that he didn't get smuggled out via land somewhere to avoid the consequences of an overstay

31 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I Recommend he contacts his nearest Thai embassy or consulate and sorts this out before he flies. 

I don't think a Thai embassy or consulate will be of any help. They normally will not get involved with immigration issues.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I can think of how this could have happened. If you arrive at Suvarnabhumi from a domestic airport, you arrive at an A- or B-gate during day time, and from there you go either to domestic baggage claim and/or domestic exit, or to international transfers, leading to international departure gates C, D, E etc. He probably went straight to international transfers without visibly carrying a C.I.Q. sticker, and none of the ground staff nor at the transit security check had realised this, and also upon boarding, none has realised that the departure card was still in the passport, if it was indeed still there.

Happened to me once only in reverse, I was coming into Toronto Canada on an international flight and the airside staff opened the wrong door allowing me into domestic departures instead of international arrivals, fortunately for me I had checked baggage so had to go back through security and into the International arrivals to get my baggage, but it was a heck of a rigmarole and lots of explanations before I was allowed to go through Immigration and then clear my luggage. Good luck OP with that one, but it is something best faced now if you ever want to come back into Thailand without grief. Just take all the proof plus kitchen sink that you have saying you left Thailand on the date you say you did.

To the OP, I wouldn't worry to much about it, I have made the same exact mistake couple years ago, I left Thailand without a departure stamp and didn't even notice it 4not being stamped until I entered back into Thailand couple days later being questioned by immigration in the airport right away asking where my departure stamp is. I told them your staff didn't stamp it in my passport. Next thing a supervisor in called in, pulls me to the side to an empty immigration counter and asks me when did I leave Thailand, I told her what date, she them swiped my passport and verified the exit date which was in the computer, she stamped my passport and that was it as she said your exit date info is in the system.

Edited by yan2016

12 minutes ago, yan2016 said:

Next thing a supervisor in called in, pulls me to the side to an empty immigration counter and asks me when did I leave Thailand, I told her what date, she them swiped my passport and verified the exit date which was in the computer, she stamped my passport and that was it as she said your exit date info is in the system.

You apparently went through immigration and the officer  forgot to do a departure stamp but did enter your departure in the system. The OP never went through immigration. So not the same as what your situation was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
23 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:
Smuggled out then somehow got home without a stamp anywhwre in his passport. LOL 

Can be done, i read it on a thread. Maybe the op can be specific so others can avoid an overstay

Sorry 555555 read it on a thread 5555 

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think a Thai embassy or consulate will be of any help. They normally will not get involved with immigration issues.

I quite agree Joe. But what is the OP supposed to do. Arrive in Thailand and wing it or make some pre-prep. I suppose he could contact Thai Immigration by email/phone and make his case. But I have low expectation of any helpful person answering ....

16 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I quite agree Joe. But what is the OP supposed to do. Arrive in Thailand and wing it or make some pre-prep. I suppose he could contact Thai Immigration by email/phone and make his case. But I have low expectation of any helpful person answering ....

He needs good proof from the airline of the date he departed Thailand on one of their flights. That puts the onus on immigration since he was able to leave without clearing immigration.

The date is important to prove he was not an overstay which would be the primary reason a person might want to leave without clearing immigration.

• Thanks 1

First of all I wanna thank everyone who's trying to help me or trying to understand.

I know I'm partly to blame for not seeing immigration and I know "not knowing better" is a bad excuse. I really didn't know better though, I even asked staff at the airport if I could go to international departures, showed her my boarding pass and passport (which she didn't look at).

To prove I was on my flight out of BKK I just used Emirate's "flight certificate request". I hope this will not take too long: "Expected delivery of certificate to your email address is 2 to 3 weeks."

I'm also gonna call a Thai embassy in my country tomorrow morning as soon as they open their office. I hope they'll be able to help me or at least tell me who to contact instead for further advice.

Really don't want to show up and be confronted with this mess on arrival, I'm sure nobody would be willing to take responsibilty and in the end I'd be to blame for not following immigration rules. I'm glad I went through my travel documents yesterday and found the departure card BEFORE I booked another flight to Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

He needs good proof from the airline of the date he departed Thailand on one of their flights. That puts the onus on immigration since he was able to leave without clearing immigration.

The date is important to prove he was not an overstay which would be the primary reason a person might want to leave without clearing immigration.

That's not necessarily correct, the primary reason for skipping immigration and security screening could be (devils advocate, sorry OP) he was trying to smuggle something dangerous on board an international flight. I used to frequently fly out of small airports to large airports like San Bernadino to SFO or LAX, and then on to my final destination, it was always the small airports where the weak link was, sometimes you would have one guy, doing the baggage off loading, loading and handling the X Ray machine, hence the need in S.E. Asia anyway for secondary inspections in Beijing, Tokyo, Taipei etc. I think that's probably the worst scenario and I know it's now tightened up. With that in mind the OP will need to understand nobody's going to admit to this mistake, he owns it, and must have every single one of his ducks in a row. Hope the OP just slides through this situation with no problem, which of course is the best scenario and quite likely.

OP do a Google search and you may find some answers on how to handle the problem, you are not the first person this has happened to at a Thai Airport

Don't worry about the posters saying it's all your fault, mistakes happen, stay positive and try and find a solution

Good luck

10 hours ago, thexit said:

Not sure myself and not sure how that can even happen with the airport security/paranoia these days. Security breach, I guess.

Unfortunately I don't have the boarding pass anymore and can't print it out again as it expired obviously (just tried to make sure), what I do have is the receipt and check in confirmation in digital form/email.

I always check in 2 days before the departure. Once i did check in but never took the flight, I missed it :-((. So check in is no proof that you left....

10 hours ago, Chou Anou said:

Wait, the OP is saying that somewhere at Suvarnabhumi, there is a carry-on baggage inspection security area at which you are on Thai soil on the one side, and when you come out on the other side, there is no immigration checkpoint for you to go through, just access to the international departure gates?  I find that VERY hard to believe.  Can someone else confirm that such a security checkpoint exists?  I highly doubt that it does. It might have at one time, when the immigration checkpoint used to be situated before the carry-on baggage checkpoint, but things haven't been that way at Swampy for several years now.

Shit happen, i have resided here over 23years, my father visited here approx 10 years ago, i met up with him at Bangkok airport, he came from Chiang mai me from Chiang rai, i met him in Bangkok airport , , was his first international trip, had no idea what was going on 7 was about to miss his flight, was not where supposed to meet at, & i asked a cleaner how to get to international departures, just got there on time to get him sorted out with airline to get on his flight, happy all done. not so took me Fuuk--- 6 hours to get out of airport again, cause of 9/11 secqurity shit,  they said i had flown in domestic but was international, & how i got there, <deleted>--ed if i know, spent 6 hours getting sent from one end to the other, The swamp airport, they finally let me out, showed there useless sequirity, needless to say was to late to get a BJ so went to hotel & slept, these things do happen. excuse my spelling, am not a pencil squeezer, forgot also walked about 12ks from them sending from one end of airport to the other

Edited by 1sickpuppy

28 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

OP do a Google search and you may find some answers on how to handle the problem, you are not the first person this has happened to at a Thai Airport

Don't worry about the posters saying it's all your fault, mistakes happen, stay positive and try and find a solution

Good luck

Yes, I've seen several others having the same or a very similar problem but I couldn't find how they solved it without having their old boarding pass, that's why I created this topic. Thank you!

15 minutes ago, Los Luver said:

I always check in 2 days before the departure. Once i did check in but never took the flight, I missed it :-((. So check in is no proof that you left....

Absolutely, it's no proof. That's why I handed in a flight certificate request (used for insurance claims) on the website of Emirates. I hope this will be valid proof of my departure.

Edited by thexit

1 minute ago, thexit said:

Yes, I've seen several others having the same or a very similar problem but I couldn't find how they solved it without having their old boarding pass, that's why I created this topic. Thank you!

Absolutely, it's no proof. That's why I handed in a flight certificate request (used for insurance claims) on the website of Emirates. I hope this will be valid proof of my departure.

i hope it works for you bro, i just posted my stuff cause of a bad experience i had, not really related to your problem, just to show the other doubters , that shit does happen, cheers

52 minutes ago, Los Luver said:

You are correct. However, the airline has a record of those who actually boarded the aircraft. Perhaps, you notice that they swipe your boarding pass as you enter the plane. It is an important part of security, as they need to identify people with checked baggage who do not actually fly so their bags can be removed. The list of those who boarded, not those who checked in, is what Thai immigration will use to verify whether or not you were on the flight.

https://www.emirates.com/english/manage-booking/

Be curious to know what it says here regarding your booking as I would think it would still be in there being less than a year. 

According to Emirates:

You may view your past and latest active itineraries on your Skywards account page, which you can access by logging in to your Skywards account. If you are not a Skywards member, you can view your itineraries by visiting the Retrieve a Booking page.

1 hour ago, JohnThailandJohn said:

https://www.emirates.com/english/manage-booking/

Be curious to know what it says here regarding your booking as I would think it would still be in there being less than a year. 

According to Emirates:

You may view your past and latest active itineraries on your Skywards account page, which you can access by logging in to your Skywards account. If you are not a Skywards member, you can view your itineraries by visiting the Retrieve a Booking page.

"Important:

Sorry, the booking reference you`ve entered is incorrect. Your booking reference is the six character alphanumeric code which can be found on your ticket."

I think it's only for upcoming flights and I'm not a Skywards member so I can't view past activities. The flight certificate request should do the trick but it takes 2-3 weeks unfortunately.

20 hours ago, Thailand J said:

The entry stamp on your passport at the airport where you went from Suvarnabhum will proof that you were out of the country.

if he was returning to his home country would he get an entry stamp? Not in the UK and most of Europe.