What is the lowest rent i can expect to pay for 1 bd apt in BKK?

Csaw

It can be a tiny apartment, no problems as long as it is CLEAN and has a sitting toilet. Also, walking distance to public transportation. Monthly payments. Something like this...

small apt.png

Edited by Csaw

I think 3000 a month is still possible (I paid that around On Nut 14 years ago)...but you won't get one that looks quite as "nice" as the one in your photo; it'll be more basic.  Also, don't expect something for that price to be within, say, 500m of a BTS or MRT station.  But...possible.  Look past On Nut on the Sukhumvit line, or a comparable distance out on other lines.  Up Ratchada a ways, maybe?  I lived on Ratchada soi 1 over a decade ago (behind Fortune Mall) for 5,000, an easy walk from Rama 9 MRT station.

1 minute ago, Chou Anou said:

I think 3000 a month is still possible (I paid that around On Nut 14 years ago)...but you won't get one that looks quite as "nice" as the one in your photo; it'll be more basic.  Also, don't expect something for that price to be within, say, 500m of a BTS or MRT station.  But...possible.  Look past On Nut on the Sukhumvit line, or a comparable distance out on other lines.  Up Ratchada a ways, maybe?  I lived on Ratchada soi 1 over a decade ago (behind Fortune Mall) for 5,000, an easy walk from Rama 9 MRT station.

Thanks Chous. ben2talk said "3000 and up" and i was asking what that was for.

Walking distance to public transport will be the biggest stickler. 

Are you referring to BTS/MRT, or are you also open to airport rail link, the river taxi boat, bus, vans, motorbikes etc.

Plenty of rooms around the 2000/3000 a month price. Just expect to pay more if you want to walk to the MRT or BTS. 

You'll have a hard time getting the real cheap stuff around 3000 if you don't speak thai.

even if you speak it many thai landlords won't rent to farang because they think the cheap units should be reserved for Thais. Also the cheaper units are always taken its hard to find available ones.

Likely you'll end up in the 5000-10000 range just because it's easier, unless you really can't pay it.

Edited by Jim Turner Mad Punx
Crank

Thanks Chous. ben2talk said "3000 and up" and i was asking what that was for.

For 3500 there was a fairly decent 30m condo in Bangna a couple of years back whilst most were going for 5000 and freshly fitted or could fetch 7500.

3500 included Daikin air and a bed, clean but minimal furnishing. We found one with a basic kitchen for 4500. Great view, park outside and great cheap food.

Sent from my big slate

5 hours ago, Chou Anou said:

They just refurbished a building on On Nut soi 21/1 and were renting the rooms for 3500 a month = brand new with air, very nice. I think they are all rented now except 2 of the larger ones for 4500/month. There are many new buildings being finished here and the competition is getting fierce.

6 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

What public transportation?

I can confirm that around my area (Ramkhamheang) there are plenty of apartments for rent at around 3000b a month and quite a few for 1,200 a month if you don't mind living like a (poor?) Thai.

I think there is still space under the freeway bridge at Soi 2 Sukhumvit

Why is it so many people who apparently have very little money keep wanting to come here? The prospect of finding good wage work is almost nil and a continued poverty-level existence cannot be their goal; or is it? I know several farangs who have been teaching English here for 20-30 years. They are in their late fifties or early sixties and none of them have any assets, pensions or chances at anything except a mediocre NES teacher's salary.  One had a minor stay in hospital and expected everyone else to pay his bills. What do they think they will do when they get old and sick? Or is that the problem, they don't think?

I think people are misunderstanding your '1br'.

A studio you can get from 2,000+, but a nice one with aircon will be around 6,000+

I would understand 1br to mean two rooms (plus kitchen area and bathroom. Really unless you 'go native' you won't get anything much below 11,000+ with aircon.

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

I think there is still space under the freeway bridge at Soi 2 Sukhumvit

The poster asked a question and I answered.

BTW, I have no clue what country is the poster from. Maybe he comes from a country poorer than Thailand? I wouldn't necessarily lecture poor people as privileged westerners from nanny states really have no clue how good they have it. 80% of the world population lives below the poverty line and 50% live in absolute poverty, 

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum

52 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

The poster asked a question and I answered.

BTW, I have no clue what country is the poster from. Maybe he comes from a country poorer than Thailand? I wouldn't necessarily lecture poor people as privileged westerners from nanny states really have no clue how good they have it. 80% of the world population lives below the poverty line and 50% live in absolute poverty, 

I wonder how many are on Thai Visa

It depends on what kind of place you want. I know of a place that meets you specs and has apartments for about 2100 Baht. I have some friends who live there,  but there are no farangs living there.Its pretty basic. And I'd guess there are places well under that price.

BTW, Look at cheap developments like Regent Home (there are as many of them as Lumpini). They usually go for around 6000k and have a pool and gym. Most are located near MRT and BTS line and around 30sqm, varies between studio and 1 bedroom depending on location (near Cheang Wattana they are 1 bedrooms and not bad looking).

You can find a home that meets your description from 2000 up but it wont look like your picture.

I pay 4000 for 50sq, 2 bedrooms, big kitchen, balcony, wet room: sit down toilet, shower, 24hr very good & well trained security, gated community, 1mb/s internet is an extra 240b per month.....but Ive never seen another falang in this area so maybe that is keymto getting a good deal.

Edited by onthesoi

For clean and modern with air con and western toilet with screened shower and within walking distance of bts/etc. You should consider 6k to 9k. No need to pay more than 9k, and less than 6k may have problems (undesirable neighbors, noise, etc.)

1500 baht a month living like a poor Thai and  write "or spend  3000 baht a  month and exist as  and like a poor farang...If it's the low life you seek you'll find it at that rental  level.

For a Thai no problem, ''horses for courses,'' But many of the Thai's I know wouldn't even consider living at that level..

Get a tent or  bunk down at the temple that's the way to do it.