If you own a Ford, you might wanna check this out

jkinbkk

1 minute ago, transam said:

A classic is in the eye of the beholder..Bit like a bird choice...:stoner:

I suppose you could call the Triumph Mayflower or the Standard Vanguard ( the one that looked like a pregnant pasty ) classics. Not that you would see them winning a drag race against anything higher than a bicycle.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, bazza73 said:

I suppose you could call the Triumph Mayflower or the Standard Vanguard ( the one that looked like a pregnant pasty ) classics. Not that you would see them winning a drag race against anything higher than a bicycle.

You may be surprised, how about a Morris Marina with a 7.5 litre I watched race...Anything is possible if you have an adventurous nature...

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The first car with rack & pinion steering so,  impressive too,  and if drivers of other cars keep the correct distance behind one it was OK.

I bet many motor company's moved rear mounted petrol tanks because of the danger so it did some good too.

Cars were always being modified over many years for safety reasons because of faults apart from many other things e.g. Seat belts, air-bags.

My 1959 Mini had a rack, l reconditioned a few of these racks too..For friends..:smile:

Getting back to Fords, the one description of  a Ford Taurus was it looked like something that had melted in the sun.

I'll see your Morris Marina and raise you an Austin A30. In the sixties, raced on Australian tracks with a V8 taken out of a Ford Galaxie. How they got it into the engine bay I'll never know.

6 hours ago, bazza73 said:

The Mayflower would have to be up there with one of the ugliest cars ever made. The Vanguard wasn't far behind.

On 8/24/2017 at 4:57 PM, Slain said:

I remember my Mk 3 Cortina. Nothing meaner:smile:

I had the earlier Cortina nice car but the problem with many of the Fords of that era was that they rusted under the mudguard resulting in the McPherson strut suspension poping up into the engine compartment

You had to get a plate welded inside to reinforce

In those days I worked in the aircraft industry we made a template for the plates for nearly every model of Ford such was the problem churned them out as

"foreign orders"

When I moved to Australia bought the same car and never came across the problem in any Ford confirmed to me that it was a weather not a manufacturing issue

On 8/25/2017 at 8:28 PM, giddyup said:

The Mayflower would have to be up there with one of the ugliest cars ever made. The Vanguard wasn't far behind.

Dad had a Standard Vanguard. We only went out in it at night.

OMG! This is it.... and it's now a classic!

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

I had the earlier Cortina nice car but the problem with many of the Fords of that era was that they rusted under the mudguard resulting in the McPherson strut suspension poping up into the engine compartment

You had to get a plate welded inside to reinforce

In those days I worked in the aircraft industry we made a template for the plates for nearly every model of Ford such was the problem churned them out as

"foreign orders"

When I moved to Australia bought the same car and never came across the problem in any Ford confirmed to me that it was a weather not a manufacturing issue

They don't grit and salt their roads in the "winter" downundah.

Archived