BBC journalist on trial for Thailand crime reporting

webfact

Good luck JH, you'll need it. I'd like to think that someone of power in England would help but I don't think it will happen. This is a good way to scare away foreign journalists and once Thai media is controlled it'll be good reports all the way. 

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

Thaksin Shinawatra will be disturbed by this because Jonathan Head has been a staunch supporter of his Red Shirts for many years. Head likes to describe the Red Shirts affectionately as a peace-loving, grassroots movement. His biased reporting will not be missed, if he ends up on the wrong end of the court's decision.

He isn't a red shirt supporter.  It's just that the TV junta brigade can't fathom how anyone that criticizes the junta can not in some way be a Thaksin supporter. I know hard it is for you guys to grasp that one.

3 hours ago, alant said:

The chap is up against it, The PM of the UK May has no balls and will do nothing, the de-facto head of the EU, Merkel has no balls and will do nothing.

No one cares as long as they get their prawn sandwiches...

It is right that politicians should keep well out of cases being decided by the courts. Would you have it otherwise? Politicians not getting involved is NOT where the problem lays.

3 hours ago, onthesoi said:

All western countries have defamation/libel laws, including the UK where the BBC adhere to the letter, but they come to Thailand and think they are above the law.

JH is a professional Thai basher... So som nom na!

In other countries libel/slander is a civil matter and not a criminal one as in Thailand.  It should be noted that it's only defamation when the 'defamer' tells untruths.  In this case, it appears to be the truth and it's up to the lawyer who brought the case to prove that lies were said/printed.

But TIT

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It is right that politicians should keep well out of cases being decided by the courts. Would you have it otherwise? Politicians not getting involved is NOT where the problem lays.

The courts ARE political in their very essence.  They protect their masters.  They are not real courts, just as the RTP is not a real police force and the armed forces are not a real military.

4 hours ago, onthesoi said:

All western countries have defamation/libel laws, including the UK where the BBC adhere to the letter, but they come to Thailand and think they are above the law.

JH is a professional Thai basher... So som nom na!

I sincerely , most sincerely , trust that if you end up in a situation similar to that of Ian Rance , nobody lifts a finger to help you. That would certainly be Som nam na!

Edited by joecoolfrog

3 hours ago, champers said:

I am sure that Head has been reporting for the BBC in the region, but outside Thailand. He has returned specifically for the trial. He must be very confident.

He had his passport withdrawn at the indictment and the courts have since rejected two petitions by BBC lawyers to allow him to travel.

2 minutes ago, Doowat said:

Or very principled

Probably both .. Professional journo's as is J H take it personally when their work is sullied or questioned so I suspect that he will be well armed in this and the toerag complainant doesn't want to be bank on the proceedings being to his advantage if they are held in Thai as not only does J H speak and understand the lingo ( requirement for Int' journo's employed by major News corps ) he will also have interpreters of Thai legal system to call upon along with Beebs own Int' legal adviser's .. 

3 minutes ago, HHTel said:

He had his passport withdrawn at the indictment and the courts have since rejected two petitions by BBC lawyers to allow him to travel.

Last time I spoke with him although initially the court did hold his passport his lawyers managed to get it back, which is why he could report from the Philippines recently.  Whether that has changed over the last couple of months I do not know. From my own experience these sort of cases can drag with one day in court in every few months which does wear you down a bit. In this case Jonathan Head also has to travel down to Phuket for these hearings which are in his opponent's back yard.

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Well done, Thailand. You're making yourself look great. 

Can you sue yourself for defamation? 

how does one shoot himself in both feet and his left butt cheek with a gun and one bullet ? well it looks like we are going to find out .....

1 hour ago, simtemple said:

Yes  all Western countries have libel/defamation laws but only in utterly corrupt Thailand are they applied by Thai elites to prevent exposure of their criminal operations/activities.

Please provide proof that JH is  a professional Thai basher or prepare to be sued for  defamation.

Though of course even if Mr Head were a Thai basher , our friend could still be sued for saying so . Now that would be particularly ironic and a lovely case of Som nam na !

Edited by joecoolfrog

3 hours ago, champers said:

I am sure that Head has been reporting for the BBC in the region, but outside Thailand. He has returned specifically for the trial. He must be very confident.

might not have been one of his wisest decisions:hit-the-fan:

1 hour ago, renaissanc said:

Thaksin Shinawatra will be disturbed by this because Jonathan Head has been a staunch supporter of his Red Shirts for many years. Head likes to describe the Red Shirts affectionately as a peace-loving, grassroots movement. His biased reporting will not be missed, if he ends up on the wrong end of the court's decision.

Good grief !

You are prepared to throw principle , and the likes of Ian Rance , under a bus simply to get across your political bias.

57 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

The courts ARE political in their very essence.  They protect their masters.  They are not real courts, just as the RTP is not a real police force and the armed forces are not a real military.

That really explains it for me. I was assuming the system was inept from the ground up, but your point makes more sense.

3 hours ago, onthesoi said:

Well, let me correct you, that is wrong, see examples already given.

I am going to take you to task on that one. Defamation in Thailand is about something you say or write causing another person detriment. It does not matter if what you said is true or not, only that is caused the "defamed" party to lose face and or reputation, or loss of business. If they can prove damage to themselves you are guilty, which is what makes the legislation so deplorable. As many here know I have been working with a top lawyer here for many years, so I do actually know what I am talking about.

Criminals absolutely love this law. It enables them to do what they like with impunity. Anyone who reveals their wrongdoing can be sued and either thrown in jail to shut them up, or as in the case of Andrew Drummond, forced to leave, by a combination of threatening his family, but also bringing multiple cases, each of which required bail money, and essentially left him so broke he had to depart. He simply couldn't afford another bail.

7 minutes ago, cncltd1973 said:

That really explains it for me. I was assuming the system was inept from the ground up, but your point makes more sense.

Throe's no such thing as a system that is inept from the ground up because the system is always implemented top down in dictatorships.

If you can ban ecigs which are benifical to the health of smokers trying to quit,  because it affects revenue from tobacco; and not be concerned at how that would make you a laughing stock around the world then it will be no problem to jail a foreign journalist for telling it like it is.