BBC journalist on trial for Thailand crime reporting

webfact

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Asiantravel said:

but politically biased reporting is substantially different to reporting on incestuous criminal property fraud activities which I'm sure Thailand would prefer the rest of the world not to know about and yet there are people on this forum who seem to almost be  condoning the harsh treatment Jonathan Head is receiving by the Thai authorities.

In fact I hope BBC take it much further and do a Panorama expose on the gross inconsistencies in Thailand judicial system for the benefit of would-be investors  .

With the risk being taken; a Panorama programme could be the least of it. I think someone is thinking book deal, Pulitzer Prize.

BTW; having checked and re-checked; Head had his passport returned and has reported for the BBC outside of Thailand and has returned of his own volition.

5 hours ago, onthesoi said:

All western countries have defamation/libel laws, including the UK where the BBC adhere to the letter, but they come to Thailand and think they are above the law.

JH is a professional Thai basher... So som nom na!

"Professional"?  You don't have to go far to find problems that should be published in Thailand.  Like....Why do they let tourists swim in the water in Pattaya & Jomtien when they KNOW it's pumped full of raw sewage EVERY night?  Yeah, some "resort".

this story says so so much about today's thailand; and there is not a

shred of good in it; it shows the future of this place also;

we can leave, the thais cant; anyone that thinks that the current backroom rulers of this place haven't studied the myanmar model are naive, that is what they want this place to be

2 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

This story should be warning enough, if any were needed, never, ever, ever invest anything significant in Thailand unless you are prepared to lose the whole lot. 

31 years I have seen 'em come rich and leave poor.

And still they come, and still they never learn. 

:huh:

What utter rubbish, 99% of the people who come to make a life in Thailand to retire or for other reasons 

have little or no problems whatsoever, I suspect you must have had some bad or poor experience in your

31 years, possibly with some girl? , but hey you're still here and you keep right on coming back.................

Don't you?

5 hours ago, champers said:

I recall seeing him in some other country in SE Asia, so it seems he left and then came back. He is likely to become a cause celebre if the courts go against him.

First

Jonathon and Ian all the very best guys you are innocent and this goes to show how much you can trust a Thai lawyer you simply cannot.

Second

Jonathon stayed there to show that the story was 100% true as it is and to defend his trade which when innocent is the the correct thing to do if you financially can otherwise leave as you cannot get justice in this country if you are a Farang.

Third

This corrupt Lawyer and his mates did not bring a private prosecution. They went to their mates in the BIB and made a complaint, then the police took up the case as under Thai Criminal Computer Law at no cost to themselves as the state pays not them.

Forth

This lawyer thinks that the court will protect him and his photo and name will not get out> Its out now and will see even more publicity across the world when this case is over, just wait and see.

Fifth

The so called PM is always on about corruption and how he is stamping it out yet he allows low life like this lawyer who on the film admitted what he did to waste Thai tax payers money and time he has a lot to answer for and 44 will not stop anything if he just happens to visit certain countries.

Sixth

This court case says everything about the country and warns everyone not to go or invest there as there are too many crooks. You have been warned.

Seventh

Thailand cases like this really do a lot for your image and says to the rest of the world you cannot be trusted.

5 hours ago, onthesoi said:

Matter of public record, 5 mins on google will validate my post... But, it sounds like you have a closed mind on the issue.

Those pesky facts putting you off your thai bashing stroke?

Oh dear, my condemning a scum bag lawyer, who not only is an utter disgrace to his profession, but also threatened members of the Thai press, is now Thai bashing. 

And, even more amazingly, you consider a journalist revealing the truth is also Thai bashing. 

Sigh...

Edited by Bluespunk

I thought @pakhead (twitter) had already moved away from Thailand. 

Anyway, here is the rapper report of the case. It's not as confirmed as BBC reports, but sometimes the word of the mouth in Thailand take a bit longer to become real news. 

If this thing turns in to a conviction, we all might have a bigger problem with the society at hand, that we eventually thought of. 

https://www.rappler.com/world/regions/asia-pacific/179712-bbc-journalist-trial-thailand-crime-reporting

5 hours ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Interesting case. I agree with the lawyer, actually. It is not right to defame and libel someone BEFORE a court has assessed whether or not someone has erred. If I were the journalist/the BBC, I would sue for wrongdoing (I don't recall reading he did). Did he? At the same time, isn't the underlying issue that the journalist (and not just him) does not believe that the courts are allowed to assess cases without outside interference?

There are some

By all means sue as you say but do it in the country that published the report, that means go to the UK as that is where it was published.

He would not and hid behind a corrupt local law.

You cannot admit to doing what he did and then use a corrupt local law to hide unless you are a local.

PS

The UK has a law that encourages people to whistle blow or out the name of a corrupt person like the lawyer and even protects you for doing so.

30 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

What utter rubbish, 99% of the people who come to make a life in Thailand to retire or for other reasons 

have little or no problems whatsoever, I suspect you must have had some bad or poor experience in your

31 years, possibly with some girl? , but hey you're still here and you keep right on coming back.................

Don't you?

you should read the threads in the marriage and divorce section of this forum more often:giggle:

Edited by Asiantravel

7 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Lol, butthurt much?

All you do on this forum is bash thailand... But enough about you,... as thats you veering off-topic for the umpteenth time.

Ah such nonsense. 

PS: As I'm discussing what occurred in the op, I'm bang on topic. 

Edited by Bluespunk

1 minute ago, wakeupplease said:

Not quite right

With laws like the CCA and the bib as it performs Thailand bashes itself and makes stupidity signs point in one direction.

So why are you funding this system if you're so against it?

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

What does the lawyer look like? ??

I protest his innocence . 

Please post his picture so I can defend him. And if I need any legal "deeds" done, I know the man to go to ?????

pratuan.gif.6a7f648c5930c0a64493e945f6f1c341.gifAFAIK, this is not a picture of the said 'lawyer'', since that man doesn't want his mug published.:thumbsup:

7 hours ago, champers said:

I am sure that Head has been reporting for the BBC in the region, but outside Thailand. He has returned specifically for the trial. He must be very confident.

His passport was confiscated a long time ago

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/23/bbc-journalist-faces-defamation-charge-in-thailand

Edited by petedk

15 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Did you not understand that it was in English as that is all I ever use these days, so try again to understand but fear its too much for some to take in

Your soon know when this case is over why I as you put it fund this system and the CCA will be second up?????

please... you cant even use 'your' correctly.

6 hours ago, onthesoi said:

All western countries have defamation/libel laws, including the UK where the BBC adhere to the letter, but they come to Thailand and think they are above the law.

JH is a professional Thai basher... So som nom na!

It is true there are defamation and liable laws in Western nations and the best defense is the statements are true