Can only carry max 30 days of "regular" medication into Thailand?

Atum

28 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

why?

Feind Hört Mit ?

Ja,

Ein Feind hört immer

Paranoia strikes deep, into your mind it will creep

starts when your always afraid 

step out of line and they'll come & take you away 

Better stop now whats that sound 

everybody look whats coming round. 

Memoirs of being an old hippy

Edited by Grumpy Duck
He he ha ha
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

Paranoia strikes deep, into your mind it will creep

starts when your always afraid 

step out of line and they'll come & take you away 

Better stop now whats that sound 

everybody look whats coming round. 

Memoirs of being an old hippy

yes they are everywhere

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bazza73 said:

I've been bringing in six month's worth of meds along with a doctor's letter for 8 years now. Never been questioned once. I think the authorities are more concerned with the illicit drugs. Let's face it, how many Somac or Valsartan addicts are there on the streets of Bangkok?

One thing I do is repackage the meds. I've found I can usually fit the prescriptions from 3-4 boxes into one box. So possibly it looks like less on the X'ray scanner.

I do the same.. for about 8 or 9 years now.. always carry the original script but have never been questioned.. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

I carry a lot of medication (2 months supply fills a shoe box ) in my hand luggage and it has been flagged up a couple of times. The officers have only ever been interested in my Insulin and have always waived me through when I show them my prescription and a typed doctors note.

As mentioned in a previous post I would be far more concerned going through Middle Eastern airports , one or two surprising items are often on their  prescribehrud lists.

I have been thru, Saudi, Dubai, Qatar, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi and Kuwait with both hydrocodone, and Ambien plus my blood pressure medication. All in perscption bottles in my shoulder bag, was never called out on anything. I would estimate about3-4 times in each airport..all those medication were available in the middle East but only hospital pharmacy. That said I came here from Philippines with the same meds and again never looked at.. I wish my lottery tickets were so lucky..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, impulse said:

While that's a good idea, I'm not sure a doctor's note supersedes the law that limits it to 30 days.  That said, I often travel with 2-3 months worth and have only been asked one time in Korea what I was carrying.  It was caffeine tablets, OTC.

I recently read that caffeine tabs are illegal in Thailand. Maybe someone can confirm that.

I can really understand the need, and sympathize.  However, the "it's never happened to me" rubric, so widely cited here in soooo many topics, is a really REALLY simple-minded form of false logic, and most likely won't get you very far if you roll unlucky and get picked up.  But of course, if you have to have the meds, you simply have to:  HAVE that doctor's letter, with all his pre-printed contact info on it, and maybe a few copies, without fail.  Should worse come to worse, I have a hard time believing a reasonable magistrate, if things were to go that far - and I doubt they would - wouldn't just roll his eyes and dismiss the case as a waste of his time.

So the question REALLY is:  should you declare it to Customs.  Too tricky for me.  I can see clear PROs and CONs, and really wouldn't want to advise.  'Not sure what I'd do if it were me:  maybe just play dumb and pretend I had NO idea there could be any possible problem with prescription meds I can show with doctor's correspondence that I MUST have.

Edited by hawker9000
grammar
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Global Guy said:

I recently read that caffeine tabs are illegal in Thailand. Maybe someone can confirm that.

They may be, but I've been buying mine on Lazada.com.  Much more expensive than the WalMart generic back home at 800-850 baht for 100 of the 200mg tabs.  But I've bought them 3 separate times.  Shhhhh.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

all drugs should be legalised and the money saved used to treat addicts.

those that want illegal drugs obtain them regardless.

in the meantime obey the law.

avoid all middle east transit airports.

remember the one about the girl transiting through dubai

who was arrested and imprisoned for some poppy seeds

from a bun she had purchased at heathrow airport (london).

11 minutes ago, jobsworth said:

all drugs should be legalised and the money saved used to treat addicts.

those that want illegal drugs obtain them regardless.

in the meantime obey the law.

avoid all middle east transit airports.

remember the one about the girl transiting through dubai

who was arrested and imprisoned for some poppy seeds

from a bun she had purchased at heathrow airport (london).

drugs and drugs are 2 different things.

I also bring back 6 to 9 months worth of medications, and a multitude of over-the-counter stuff you can;t get here,  have never been  asked.  It is an economical ay of keeping your meds in stock as some medicines have a double or triple price markup.  I always carry the prescription with me as well, just in case.

Edited by TunnelRat69
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I also bring back 6 to 9 months worth of medications, and a multitude of over-the-counter stuff you can;t get here,  have never been  asked.  It is an economical ay of keeping your meds in stock as some medicines have a double or triple price markup.  I always carry the prescription with me as well, just in case.

Just out of curiosity, do you declare them going through customs in Thailand (or anywhere)?  I know there's no form like you fill out coming into the States, but is there a regulatory requirement somewhere to make such a declaration verbally or otherwise entering Thailand with something like this?

3 hours ago, impulse said:

They may be, but I've been buying mine on Lazada.com.  Much more expensive than the WalMart generic back home at 800-850 baht for 100 of the 200mg tabs.  But I've bought them 3 separate times.  Shhhhh.

As for anything, people get away with things. I was just addressing the legal aspect. The rule of one exception/person doesn't mean there is no law. 

7 minutes ago, Global Guy said:

As for anything, people get away with things. I was just addressing the legal aspect. The rule of one exception/person doesn't mean there is no law. 

Point taken.  I was addressing the practical aspect for anyone like me who was hoping to find caffeine in Thailand.

Early on my Thailand adventure, someone told me caffeine was illegal because it cut into somebody's yaba revenue.  I could also see it cutting into energy drink revenue.  But I really don't know if it's illegal since a lot of soft drinks contain quite a bit.

1 hour ago, hawker9000 said:

Just out of curiosity, do you declare them going through customs in Thailand (or anywhere)?  I know there's no form like you fill out coming into the States, but is there a regulatory requirement somewhere to make such a declaration verbally or otherwise entering Thailand with something like this?

There is no form for declaring, we go thru the Green - No Goods to Declare line.  Now if they exceed a certain $$ amount and not for personal use, then you legally should go thru the Red Goods to Declare line.  I once went thru that line because I bought a 750 gram 24K solid Gold statue in Cambodia, customs officers held it in his hand, smiled and waved me on. That was 7 or 8 years ago.

Edited by TunnelRat69

You are not required to declare prescription meds at customs except for narcotics. For these you are required to have  an FDA (not  hard to get) and declare at red channel.

Everything else, no need but should have  them in clearly prescription labelled bottle and if they are pyschotropics, well advised to have a doctor's letter with you, and not just for the airport.

Rule for all meds is 30 day supply but they won't usually count out the #tablets and as long as the quantity looks modest and consistent with short-term personal use (not lifetime use!)  it is usually fine.

Caffeine tablets are not illegal in Thailand but there are no brands here of it. For some reason when people ask for drugs not available here they seem to get answers that they interpret as meaning it is illegal rather than simply not available. There are many brands of caffeine mixed with other meds (for migraine) and of course mega quantities of caffeine sold in energy drinks.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There are many brands of caffeine mixed with other meds (for migraine) and of course mega quantities of caffeine sold in energy drinks.

A bit of useless knowledge - an Australian Professor of Medicine, Ben Selinger, has stated it is physiologically impossible to overdose on caffeine.

On 8/23/2017 at 9:41 PM, Pilotman said:

we may all do this, but if you are caught you will be in trouble. The regulation is unambiguous and the issue according to my Brother in Law, a senior Police Officer, is that you could be deemed to be a dealer, as you have more than that required for personal use.  Its a big risk. 

I can understand the potential dealer interpretation.  But if one brings in enough medicine to cover the planned duration of the trip, i.e. 3 months supply and a 3 month stay as indicated on your plane ticket, I wouldn't worry.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bazza73 said:

A bit of useless knowledge - an Australian Professor of Medicine, Ben Selinger, has stated it is physiologically impossible to overdose on caffeine.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/821863-overview?pa=sMIVDEjFtKYCjdF6wpmsPkxbnD8%2F%2BMfbPfloS28amfAHDeztfuMWBoXBAY928Y6TQvlM9kZAO8i1iYhsbfZzRcCS%2FWSTBm2zAbocu%2FPZLlg%3D

Fair use snippet :

Signs and symptoms

When acute caffeine ingestion is suspected, the history should address the following:

• Use of prescription medications or over-the-counter (OTC) drugs
  • Use of illicit drugs
  • Recent caffeine ingestion or recent behavior compatible with such ingestion

When ingested in excessive amounts for extended periods, caffeine produces a specific toxidrome (caffeinism), which consists primarily of the following:

• Central nervous system (CNS) features – Headache, lightheadedness, anxiety, agitation, tremulousness, perioral and extremity tingling, confusion, psychosis, seizures
  • Cardiovascular features – Palpitations or racing heart rate, chest pain
  • Gastrointestinal (GI) features – Nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, bowel incontinence, anorexia

CNS findings on physical examination include the following:

• Anxiety, agitation
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Altered mental status
  • Head, eyes, ears, nose, and throat findings
  • Pupils that are dilated but reactive to light

Edited by atyclb

I also bring in 2 or 3 months supply of meds with UK NHS Doctors prescription, in hand luggage and via Abu-Dhabi, have done for 10 years , never been stopped once and have friends who do same and have never heard of anyone getting stopped. Have heard the stories of people getting a pull in Middle east transit airports. I am sure that if is genuine prescription meds they are not going to hang you out to dry or they would be doing already.

I shall be carrying on as normal 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2017 at 0:23 PM, Sheryl said:

There are many brands of caffeine mixed with other meds (for migraine) ...

Are any of these OTC?  I usually stock up on acetaminophen and/or aspirin with caffeine when I'm in the USA.  It would be nice to be able to source something for my headaches here locally.  (Ideally, I'd like codeine, but...)

• 6 months later...

You can buy your medication easy in Thailand. Just don't carry it al around then you be fine. If they are in a bad mode pretty sure it can end up in monkey house. Keep track off if it's grade 1 ore grade 2 medication. Just little thoughts from me.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk