Defendant leaves everyone guessing

rooster59

All the signs point to a lurch towards authoritarianism, extreme nationalism and trampling of human rights.

Enjoy your "dawn of a new era".

A golden dawn heralding in a new reich that will last for 1000 years...

That will make a few on here feel quite at home!
[emoji3]

Won't there be a lot of egg on a lot of faces if it turns out she really is at home nursing a sore head & feeling sorry for herself. Ha Ha Ha! she goes on Monday morning as she pops out to 7/11 for some grapefruit juice ...

Anything's possible in this country.

10 hours ago, JAG said:

The Junta had three options, in my opinion, for dealing with the Yingluck "problem".

1 Leave her at liberty, either through an aquittal or some sort of suspended sentence. This would have meant that she would have remained the focus of opposition to the junta, and notwithstanding any political ban, she would have been the central figure if and when they held an election.

2. Jail her. That would quite possibly resulted in the "wheels coming off". Moreover there are probably are factions within the Junta who would have been unable to resist a "sudden rare blood disorder". This could have resulted in the wheels coming off and bouncing down the road!

3. "Persuade her to leave", by threatening a savage jail sentence if she stays.

I suspect the latter, that's why she wasn't stopped, indeed if we are to believe the rumours she was helped.

Two other points: there is the possibility that she has been "disappeared". The longer she remains unaccounted for the more this idea will gain traction - and if it gains traction amongst the mass of her supporters then the junta is back to square one. Secondly, if she does live in exile, will she still be a viable focus for opposition? The lady in Burma managed from house arrest, and all she could do was lean over her garden fence and talk. Add that pesky social media to the mix...

Maybe the general has only bought a temporary reprieve?

It's all speculation and we'll never know the real discussions and haggling that's been going on since the PTP caretaker government was removed.

1. She's already been banned for 5 years. But left at large would've still been a rallying point.

2. Some of the more extreme elements opposing her family wanted her punished, and not in the interests of justice or in accordance with the law. As we've seen before, neither side can always control the more extreme elements, so there was a danger while some wanted revenge and an example. But the real hiso elites, and she's one, never jail one another. Only minions, some very high minions too, are jailed as there not really high enough and expendable. I don't think the current regime would have actually allowed her to be jailed, other than for a very short time, no matter how much some bayed for it.

3. I think the preferred option was always that she left. The tried leaving the door open before but she didn't take the hint, or was instructed she had to stay. They've no doubt been threatening a long jail term whilst encouraging the run option.

I don't think that they'd ever consider disappearing her. Not in the rules of the game. And, I think YL would be most happy to keep well away from politics. She can comment, but a very wealthy woman, with a young son, who only has 2-3 years political experience. Why would she really be bothered. The ghost writers might still use her FB page, and she'll be seen in photo shoots with big brother, but she might be pleased to be well out of it. 

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

All the signs point to a lurch towards authoritarianism, extreme nationalism and trampling of human rights.

Enjoy your "dawn of a new era".

with the shin influence deteriorating there should be no more reason for this - at least not more than was already in place during the shin time and before.

14 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

the lawyer knew and was paid well for keeping her secret.he knew  and made a big pay day for it.somehow he may never spend it if he is charged by the courts of what he done

He's already gone......................

5 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

There's no conclusive proof she has left yet.

All speculation at this stage.

One, yes count them, only one un-named source (usually media speak for pure conjecture) has said she is alive and well in Dubai.

Wait until we know for certain. 

I know you have already at least 10 times insinuated that she's abducted, or even killed.

Don't you think Thaksin was in contact with her every hour of the day the last few weeks, and that if he hadn't heard her voice in the past 24 hours, that would by now be on every news channel in the world?

14 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

It's all speculation and we'll never know the real discussions and haggling that's been going on since the PTP caretaker government was removed.

1. She's already been banned for 5 years. But left at large would've still been a rallying point.

2. Some of the more extreme elements opposing her family wanted her punished, and not in the interests of justice or in accordance with the law. As we've seen before, neither side can always control the more extreme elements, so there was a danger while some wanted revenge and an example. But the real hiso elites, and she's one, never jail one another. Only minions, some very high minions too, are jailed as there not really high enough and expendable. I don't think the current regime would have actually allowed her to be jailed, other than for a very short time, no matter how much some bayed for it.

3. I think the preferred option was always that she left. The tried leaving the door open before but she didn't take the hint, or was instructed she had to stay. They've no doubt been threatening a long jail term whilst encouraging the run option.

I don't think that they'd ever consider disappearing her. Not in the rules of the game. And, I think YL would be most happy to keep well away from politics. She can comment, but a very wealthy woman, with a young son, who only has 2-3 years political experience. Why would she really be bothered. The ghost writers might still use her FB page, and she'll be seen in photo shoots with big brother, but she might be pleased to be well out of it. 

I think Jail was a real possibility - I hear what you say about the Hi-So elites not jailing each other, but the split between the "Shinewatras" and the "Old Guard" is  so deep and visceral that I suspect that rule may have not applied. 

"Disappearing" her? Whilst I agree it is also not in the rules, the stakes are so high, and the hatred so visceral, that I don't think it could be discounted. Frankly the game is changing, the stakes are as high as it gets, and the referee is not here any more. Anyway, its only been 48 hours. I hope that she will pop up soon.

15 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

You are being generous about those rules and forget many a CCTV has been 'under maintenance' at various crucial times or you believe those were all 'accidents' and 'suicides'?  It's why the Police General escaped to asylum in Australia.

10 hours ago, tomas557 said:

I know you have already at least 10 times insinuated that she's abducted, or even killed.

Don't you think Thaksin was in contact with her every hour of the day the last few weeks, and that if he hadn't heard her voice in the past 24 hours, that would by now be on every news channel in the world?

And he probably masterminded the plan and supervised it's implementation and handled the payouts for the implementation.

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 6:36 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

All I can say is that it is a VERY good thing that Thailand doesn't have any serious external enemies.

So far as the Thai military is concerned with serious external enemies it will either be kiss some frogs and hope for the best, evacuate the Officer's Mess and cut and run or roll over and collaborate. My money would be on the third option

Edited by Cadbury

Freeze her assets. "we can't find any". Day of verdict. "Sorry I'm calling in sick"

A closely monitored person somehow now "flees" a country under strict authoritarian control.

80 years of coups, exile or imprison the elected leaders for corruption. 

All a bit of Kabuki theatre not at all surprising to those well read in Thai political history.

On 8/26/2017 at 6:14 AM, rooster59 said:

Cheep said the lawyer of the defendant had requested postponement of the verdict reading because the defendant suffered symptoms of meniere’s disease |and was hence unable to attend court.

He said the prosecutor did not believe the claim because no medical certificate was presented and that the defendant could not be so unwell that she could not attend the court.

Assuming the Meniere's claim is not a dodge, I can assure one and all that a Meniere's attack leaves you almost immobilized. I have Maniere's and although the attacks differ in their severity, almost every one of them leaves you unable to do more than lie down and wait for it to pass. An attack with vertigo would leave Yingluck or somebody like me unable to go to court.  And you don't get a doctor's certificate for a meniere's attack, you just take serc, nootropil, cephadol, b12, gingko biloba, maybe sermion and hope for the best.

OTOH if she was going through a Meniere's attack, escaping by boat would be about the most sickening process, followed by auto, helos, and airplanes.

16 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

There's no conclusive proof she has left yet.

All speculation at this stage.

One, yes count them, only one un-named source (usually media speak for pure conjecture) has said she is alive and well in Dubai.

Wait until we know for certain. 

Possible suicide. I dont think she could take losing face.