Surrounded by Superstition in Thailand – but who from Thais, Chinese and Russians are the most?

Inspire

Surrounded by Superstition in Thailand – but who from Thais, Chinese and Russians are the most?

superstitions-universal-1200x800-1024x682.jpg

I have lived in Thailand for over 10 years now, have a Russian wife and have watched the Chinese arrive in huge numbers – and it dawned on me the parallels between the 3 nationalities for being crazy superstitious, from coin throwing into the Pattaya sea to not buying property due to the house number being unlucky…

Todays vlog lists many other beliefs and asks who is the most superstitious between the Thais, Russians and Chinese.? Brought to you in association with Alan Bolton Property Services, servicing Pattaya since 1987.

I thought us Brits were a little superstitious when we’d not walk under a ladder, but we are nothing compared to this bunch. When I first took note of some of the local Thai behaviour it left me a little bemused – Pregnant ladies affixing safety pins on their clothes over their bellies, which apparently protects the baby from ghosts and other such problems, well according to the Thai ladies I asked – who were not too sure why they did it actually, but they still did it. And when the baby is born the superstition continues. Babies are cute, there is no doubt in that, but if you are in Thailand don’t even think about saying that some babies are cute because then a ghost will come and kidnap the baby for being so cute. Oh and talking about babies, Thai people believe that those babies who have birthmarks had past lives. And the beliefs just keep on going – Remember too don’t get your hair cut on a Wednesday is this considered bad luck by Thais too…

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/pattaya/surrounded-superstition-thailand-thais-chinese-russians/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2017-08-26

I got my hair cut on a Wednesday a few years ago, went to take a shower, fell on my face getting out of the tub, smashed my nose on the tile floor, bled like a stuck pig.  I will never get my hair cut on Wednesday again.  Oh, while I'm at it, I get a major case of the willies when I walk into a Thai office and see a bunch of umbrellas open and drying in the hall..

4 hours ago, Get Real said:

Yep, superstition is just another word for poor education

Poor education is to blame for so many things ... especially by people who assume themselves to be well-educated.

14 hours ago, Inspire said:

I thought us Brits were a little superstitious

And yet who write things like " I thought us Brits ..."

4 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Poor education is to blame for so many things ... especially by people who assume themselves to be well-educated.

And yet who write things like " I thought us Brits ..."

Yep! And I am not going to feel sorry for that. That has created the life I have today fdrom basically nothing. Superstition had nothing to do with it then either. 

7 hours ago, Bobobirdiebuddy said:

I got my hair cut on a Wednesday a few years ago, went to take a shower, fell on my face getting out of the tub, smashed my nose on the tile floor, bled like a stuck pig.  I will never get my hair cut on Wednesday again.  Oh, while I'm at it, I get a major case of the willies when I walk into a Thai office and see a bunch of umbrellas open and drying in the hall..

Congratulations......You have chosen the right country to live in.

I love hearing about superstitions and beliefs. Adds colour to life. Particularly like finding out about where they originated from.

Us Brits can be very colourless in our pragmatism. Wouldn't life be boring without a bit of eccentricity?

I'd love to hear more of your examples of superstitions.  

When I was about seven years old, me and three other kids were playing marbles in the street. The subject of walking under a ladder was mentioned,  because there was a ladder up against the gutter next door. So for a 'dare' one of us walked under it. Then the rest of us followed. After a while there was a discussion  regarding when and were the bad luck would strike. With disaster looming, we decided that if we walked back under the ladder the opposite way  everything would reverse to normal. 

The ladder fell over and hit my mate Richard right on the Boncerella. 

Watch out for them ladders you just never know! 

Irrational belief exists everywhere but that is not to say that some locations such as individual countries have a higher propensity than others and it is almost entirely down to education or rather lack of education and or quality of education.

As far as the listed Russia, China & Thailand I would have to say that people from Russia have a far lower rating (?) than both Chinese and Thai people though it has to be taken in the context that both countries are really out there so 'lower' is seriously relative.

My main area of interest for getting on for 40 years is religious belief which is the same as the various superstitions except they carry with it codified dogma and usually a metaphysical figurehead but even then the similarities far out way the differences. For years, with Buddhism, I flipped from one side to another as to whether it should be called a religion and sometime late 2000s (2008 I think) I came to the realization that it is a religious belief without doubt. Anyway, with decades of research in religious belief I have been swamped in related issues such as bog standard superstition like standing in open doorways and it being bad luck to smell flowers that you intend to use as a shrine offering, if you drop a knife on the floor then you should step on it before picking it up.... that one is particularly interesting because such behaviour has been found in many cultures around the globe. 

On 8/27/2017 at 6:00 AM, Get Real said:

Yep, superstition is just another word for poor education

So how do you feel about people who believes in a deity, heaven and Earth, Adam and Eve, Noah's Ark, etc.?  I take it you believe that Christians are a product of "poor education." 

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

So how do you feel about people who believes in a deity, heaven and Earth, Adam and Eve, Noah's Ark, etc.?  I take it you believe that Christians are a product of "poor education." 

Exactly, Right on my boy!

8 hours ago, Berkshire said:

So what is the OP on about I wonder. 

I think his vantage point is a cultural background that has always asserted its own sense of reality as a set of universal truths and values far superior to any other. All cultures do it. It's sort of like superstitious belief, universal. Among other things, I won't make bets on racehorses unless I'm wearing red underpants. Don't ask me how or why but that particular bit of eccentricity crosses with languages and currencies in many gambling environments.