British expats in Thailand feeling the misery as the UK pound drops to record low levels.

cyberfarang

On 9/13/2017 at 3:50 PM, TKDfella said:

I read that the first law hurdle has been passed. This caused the £ to increase by 1 Baht according to the exchange rate.

£ has increased , due to the dollar falling slightly .

Nothing to do with Brexit .

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, elliss said:

Rubish the £ increased as a result of the nod given by cerney on a possible interest rate rise.  Nothing to do with the dollar.

14 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Why back to 55? That was never a norm, or even close to the average rate.

The 55 spike was well before Brexit and the immediate period before Brexit we saw 53 which was widely accepted as being over inflated.

50 is the gold standard for GBP/THB and that is a more sensible benchmark/target to aim for. Over the last 9 years the average rate looks to about on the 50 mark and I have always regarded anything above that as a bonus.

That being the case, we are currently 10% "down".

Over the years I have seen it as high as 75 and low as 35...

2 hours ago, elliss said:

2 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Rubish the £ increased as a result of the nod given by cerney on a possible interest rate rise.  Nothing to do with the dollar.

Both.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
3 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:
Greece is becoming third world? utterly ridiculous, when they joined half the population were sustenance farmers, they have way more than they did, they just can't afford their IMF loans, but the EU keeps bailing them out anyway, so what are you king exactly?  If it was not for the EU their banking system would collapse and they really would be back where they were, in the third world, but they will stay and they will, albeit very slowly, recover as a result of their EU financial protection.

I wanted to flush out the non British infecting this thread, i think i did that successfully

very strange comment to say the least,please explain why you want brits only giving their views,bearing in mind this forum is called thai visa,do you also want this forum changing to UK visa to keep it British only,strange person you are

Edited by bomber

2 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Not so

GBPUSD upward trend began in January after it bottomed out at 1.20+. Not a straight line but the bottoms higher and the highs higher. It accelerated after September 14th (date correct?) on the BoE guidance. Question is whether dollar weakness stopped then. Well look at EURUSD in the days following. It strengthened (ie the dollar continued weakening). It is therefore reasonable to assume that the strengthening of GBPUSD over those days also had an element of continued dollar weakening as well as impact from the BoE guidance.

Edited by SheungWan

19 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

GBPUSD upward trend began in January after it bottomed out at 1.20+. Not a straight line but the bottoms higher and the highs higher. It accelerated after September 14th (date correct?) on the BoE guidance. Question is whether dollar weakness stopped then. Well look at EURUSD in the days following. It strengthened (ie the dollar continued weakening). It is therefore reasonable to assume that the strengthening of GBPUSD over those days also had an element of continued dollar weakening as well as impact from the BoE guidance.

The £ gained against all currencies quickly last week when the bank of England hinted on a rate rise in the near future sod all to do with the yank greenback. Its hard sometimes to convince Americans they are not in the center of everything in the Universe ( im not saying your an American by the way i have no idea what you are) .

I dont belive the £ has yet bottomed out as you say.

Edited by jeab1980

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
12 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:
Greece is becoming third world? utterly ridiculous, when they joined half the population were sustenance farmers, they have way more than they did, they just can't afford their IMF loans, but the EU keeps bailing them out anyway, so what are you thinking exactly?  If it was not for the EU their banking system would collapse and they really would be back where they were, in the third world, but they will stay and they will, albeit very slowly, recover as a result of their EU financial protection.

I wanted to flush out the non British infecting this thread, i think i did that successfully

Never mind about facts, give yourself another pat on the back old chap.

17 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Their 'fact' being that they had "flushed out" someone who was not British, me being British kind of rubbishes that claim, thanks anyway though.

No the facts being about greece being your facts massaged to make your point or the real facts. As to whether your british or not makes no diffrence to me. No idea why your thanking me i presume you read my post incorrectly.?

20 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Another fact for you all to ponder on.

The KBank exchange rate was at 44.51 = 1GBP this morning.

https://daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

Not wholly sure what fact there is to ponder on here. Giving us the £ rate this am then putting the Dollar exchange rate in a link?

8 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Not wholly sure what fact there is to ponder on here. Giving us the £ rate this am then putting the Dollar exchange rate in a link?

I have just logged into the link and it is in GBP and the TT rate.

If your link shows USD, go to the top line, change the currency to GBP and the currency type to TT and you will get the current rates.

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

No the facts being about greece being your facts massaged to make your point or the real facts. As to whether your british or not makes no diffrence to me. No idea why your thanking me i presume you read my post incorrectly.?

If that was what you wanted to talk about then why did you interject into what someone else was saying about something completely different?  I have not massaged any facts, perhaps you would care to point to one that you feel I have, I would be happy to discuss it with you.  And do you really have no idea why someone would condescend you?

5 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

What is unrealistic?  What is a dream?  It is very much real if you hadn't realized, and also massively successful.

Australia is a federation with different attitudes and views in every state and territory.  It holds together through a common language, a pride in its shared history and fiscal transfers when one side of the country is doing better than the other.  USA similar.   Without this feeling of engagement, of belonging to a greater whole, you are trying to herd cats. I had not realised the overall success of the EU, your condescending remark is unwelcome.    Guessing you're Irish, watch your economy when the EU come to grab your tax revenues from multinationals. Veto?  Not for ever.

1 hour ago, nanglong218 said:

Australia is a federation with different attitudes and views in every state and territory.  It holds together through a common language, a pride in its shared history and fiscal transfers when one side of the country is doing better than the other.  USA similar.   Without this feeling of engagement, of belonging to a greater whole, you are trying to herd cats. I had not realised the overall success of the EU, your condescending remark is unwelcome.    Guessing you're Irish, watch your economy when the EU come to grab your tax revenues from multinationals. Veto?  Not for ever.

The EU is not a federation, why compare it to one when the intention is so clearly different?  If we were trying to herd cats then we would not be an expanding successful union, would we?  As for your failure to understand the main premise of the union, to prevent another major war in Europe, and the simple fact that since forming we have now seen the single longest period in European history without a major war, I feel it fair to condescend you, at least try to know the very basics of a subject before commenting on it, the basics of the EU being a clear success. Other successes of the EU are solid democracy in Greece, Spain and Portugal, very needed trade that brought a very needed income to what were very stagnant ecconomies in countries such as Ireland and Portugal, stability in the Balkans, a direction for the former USSR countries to move in away from Russia, and of course the massive roads made in providing human rights.  Obviously not everything has gone so well, the Euro has brought with it many problems and we have felt the brunt of the refugee crisis, but we cope with those pressures due to being a union.  And I am not Irish.

If anyone is thinking of getting out of cash and into income producing equities should there be a meltdown, one way to get over any reluctance to "pull the trigger" and buy is to set up a whole page of "limit orders". In other words, if (say) Securities Trust of Scotland is trading at 165p you can set up an order to run for (usually) 90 days to buy at (say) 150p, 145p, 140p....

Now, it's true that in a real meltdown sometimes these orders don't get filled. That said, I think they sometimes get filled at even better prices than you asked for, as traders panic to offload shares in collapsing markets. Placing small-ish order increases the chance of them being filled, although it adds to your trading costs. But limit orders are a good way to tie your hands. It means you don't have to decide; it just happens. 

As an aside, there was an article on cheap gap-year destinations in the paper yesterday. Indonesia, Malaysia and Argentina made the list but Thailand didn't. The first two, I wouldn't have thought, were cheaper than Thailand, although Argentina does look ludicrously cheap: the only currency that makes the pound look like the Swiss Franc. 

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

The EU is not a federation, why compare it to one when the intention is so clearly different?  If we were trying to herd cats then we would not be an expanding successful union, would we?  As for your failure to understand the main premise of the union, to prevent another major war in Europe, and the simple fact that since forming we have now seen the single longest period in European history without a major war, I feel it fair to condescend you, at least try to know the very basics of a subject before commenting on it, the basics of the EU being a clear success. Other successes of the EU are solid democracy in Greece, Spain and Portugal, very needed trade that brought a very needed income to what were very stagnant ecconomies in countries such as Ireland and Portugal, stability in the Balkans, a direction for the former USSR countries to move in away from Russia, and of course the massive roads made in providing human rights.  Obviously not everything has gone so well, the Euro has brought with it many problems and we have felt the brunt of the refugee crisis, but we cope with those pressures due to being a union.  And I am not Irish.

Not federation?  So complete integration?  National disintegration and subordination to an  unelected central committee, aka politburo.  

I agree that Gr, P, and Sp have thrown off their authoritarian regimes and prospered but you refer to events 30 years past, then they enjoyed themselves too much. The EU now has greater ambitions which it can't fulfill. Contributory nations will tire of supporting those who will not improve their act. The next basket cases are Albania, Serbia and Bosnia. Get them richer, more EU goods to sell, OK.  But will they adopt west European values? Your guess is as good as mine.

1 hour ago, nanglong218 said:

Not federation?  So complete integration?  National disintegration and subordination to an  unelected central committee, aka politburo.  

I agree that Gr, P, and Sp have thrown off their authoritarian regimes and prospered but you refer to events 30 years past, then they enjoyed themselves too much. The EU now has greater ambitions which it can't fulfill. Contributory nations will tire of supporting those who will not improve their act. The next basket cases are Albania, Serbia and Bosnia. Get them richer, more EU goods to sell, OK.  But will they adopt west European values? Your guess is as good as mine.

Sorry, who is unelected?  The council are our heads of states, obviously we have elected them, the MEP's also being elected, no law can pass without going through our elected representatives, nothing in common with the politburo at all apart from the fact that the EU has been left leaning, in fact that is the only reason you hear the rabid right calling them commies and the like, because they threaten their freedom to steal as bankers, you may note the main party responsible for Brexit, their number of ex bankers and brokers and their voting history in Europe against restrictions on banking designed to prevent financial crashes for evidence.

I refer to events in recent history, events that probably would not have happened without the EU and the very reason that it will not fall apart, people are not so dumb to choose a little money over freedom and stability, not that the EU is doing badly for money anyway and all indicators showing that much better times are ahead, some have become disheartened but that will fade just as soon as the next boom comes, and oh boy are the British going to be sore when they get left for dust.

And the goal of bringing in countries like those in the Balkans is not about increasing sales, it is about bringing more stability to the region.

Here we go again.

Following the jump in sterling a few days ago, which resulted in a welcome increase in the value of sterling, Mrak Carney has today made sure he pours some cold water on this in a speech in Canada (?)

He's so terrified of a stronger pound that he's always doing this.

1 hour ago, emilymat said:

Here we go again.

Following the jump in sterling a few days ago, which resulted in a welcome increase in the value of sterling, Mrak Carney has today made sure he pours some cold water on this in a speech in Canada (?)

He's so terrified of a stronger pound that he's always doing this.

It seems to always be like this. Read in the news the pound has jumped, exchange rate goes up 1 or 2 bahts, rush to bring some money over, then by the time my sterling is transferred into my Thai account the pound has already dropped again. It can all happen within a period of a couple of days.

The powers that be are keeping their hands firmly on the red stop buttons.

1. 9 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:
    •  
    • Sorry, who is unelected?  The council are our heads of states, obviously we have elected them, the MEP's also being elected, no law can pass without going through our elected representatives, nothing in common with the politburo at all apart from the fact that the EU has been left leaning, in fact that is the only reason you hear the rabid right calling them commies and the like, because they threaten their freedom to steal as bankers, you may note the main party responsible for Brexit, their number of ex bankers and brokers and their voting history in Europe against restrictions on banking designed to prevent financial crashes for evidence.
    • I refer to events in recent history, events that probably would not have happened without the EU and the very reason that it will not fall apart, people are not so dumb to choose a little money over freedom and stability, not that the EU is doing badly for money anyway and all indicators showing that much better times are ahead, some have become disheartened but that will fade just as soon as the next boom comes, and oh boy are the British going to be sore when they get left for dust.
    • And the goal of bringing in countries like those in the Balkans is not about increasing sales, it is about bringing more stability to the region.

Democracy in the EU is a thin veneer, vote your MEP,  name him, who is he?  Hannon, Farage, yes.

Your Guardian view will always conflict with my Telegraph view.  I don't accept either as gospel. 

Nato has kept the peace, our thanks are due to the Americans. Balkan stability? You're joking. Read history.  Economies ride the tide, boom bust, good times ahead, always was. Democracy needs the pork barrel, gifts and goodies for the plebs, bread and circuses said the Romans.

We are straying off subject, a new thread is needed.