British expats in Thailand feeling the misery as the UK pound drops to record low levels.

cyberfarang

19 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Individual Brits buying/selling baht a small percentage of the FX market, unlikely to move the market.

True, but pound-baht isn't pound-dollar: changes at the margin will matter. The few companies importing Thai goods, and the Brits living in the kingdom with loads of Sterling in the bank, have had a good fright. 

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Craig krup said:

True, but pound-baht isn't pound-dollar: changes at the margin will matter. The few companies importing Thai goods, and the Brits living in the kingdom with loads of Sterling in the bank, have had a good fright. 

Fright no not at all something i was expecting and planned for. Changed enough to keep me in my life style for 4 years a soon as it hit 55.3 a couple of weeks before brexit vote. Can sit back and watch it climb back now.

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Fright no not at all something i was expecting and planned for. Changed enough to keep me in my life style for 4 years a soon as it hit 55.3 a couple of weeks before brexit vote. Can sit back and watch it climb back now.

it still has to rise another 20%+  to get back to 55.3,that is still a big ask.

6 hours ago, bomber said:

Why back to 55? That was never a norm, or even close to the average rate.

The 55 spike was well before Brexit and the immediate period before Brexit we saw 53 which was widely accepted as being over inflated.

50 is the gold standard for GBP/THB and that is a more sensible benchmark/target to aim for. Over the last 9 years the average rate looks to about on the 50 mark and I have always regarded anything above that as a bonus.

That being the case, we are currently 10% "down".

Edited by Jip99

25 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

It is what it is, get over it or go back  home.  Exchange rate speculation is a useless occupation for mere mortals at the best of times,  unless you are an expert and I doubt many or any  on this forum are such. 

Every expat who exchanges more currency than for their immediate needs is to some extent doing a little exchange rate speculation. For example, when GBPTHB is around 42/43 I have been tending to buy just for immediate needs. However, if the rate is over 45 I will consider a larger amount. With regards to the 'go back home' taunt, I doubt if many people suddenly up sticks and leave against their will. More likely is that a persistent currency trend weighs against all the other factors influencing an individual's decision whether to stay or go.

39 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Every expat who exchanges more currency than for their immediate needs is to some extent doing a little exchange rate speculation. For example, when GBPTHB is around 42/43 I have been tending to buy just for immediate needs. However, if the rate is over 45 I will consider a larger amount. With regards to the 'go back home' taunt, I doubt if many people suddenly up sticks and leave against their will. More likely is that a persistent currency trend weighs against all the other factors influencing an individual's decision whether to stay or go.

True and a sensible approach. 

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
13 hours ago, bomber said:

You seem pretty negative and enjoy £ going down. What nationality are you?

His assessment looks pretty much spot on to me. Do you really think that by simply waving a magic wand the rate will zoom back up to 55.3 overnight for the benefit of us Brits?

25 minutes ago, OJAS said:

His assessment looks pretty much spot on to me. Do you really think that by simply waving a magic wand the rate will zoom back up to 55.3 overnight for the benefit of us Brits?

Why whos waving a magic wand then. 

Just now, scubascuba3 said:
13 minutes ago, bomber said:
Nobody,10-20% increases dont happen quickly,plus thetes probably just as much chance of a drop in the opposite direction,

It will take longer for the EU to deteriorate and eventually the Euro goes down the toilet. Inevitable really, luckily UK would have escaped by then

Funny, what on earth makes you think the Euro is going down?  It certainly appears to be doing pretty well and all the analysts seem to agree that the Euro is all set for another golden age, so what makes you imagine it is inevitable that it will go?

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
17 minutes ago, bomber said:
Nobody,10-20% increases dont happen quickly,plus thetes probably just as much chance of a drop in the opposite direction,

It will take longer for the EU to deteriorate and eventually the Euro goes down the toilet. Inevitable really, luckily UK would have escaped by then

Wishfull thinking the EU is going down,dont know why so many predict this,its had its problems but always comes out of it with ease.

6 minutes ago, bomber said:

Wishfull thinking the EU is going down,dont know why so many predict this,its had its problems but always comes out of it with ease.

And how is it wishful? Just out of bitterness perhaps, as it would not actually be good for the UK to have their largest chance for trade unable to afford to buy anything from them.

Funny, what on earth makes you think the Euro is going down?  It certainly appears to be doing pretty well and all the analysts seem to agree that the Euro is all set for another golden age, so what makes you imagine it is inevitable that it will go?
The EU is flawed. One currency and interest rate for the whole region. Greece is becoming 3rd world. I realise there are different views on it but as integration increases there will be more fall out

24 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

The EU is flawed. One currency and interest rate for the whole region. Greece is becoming 3rd world. I realise there are different views on it but as integration increases there will be more fall out

I totaly agree its so easy for the major players in the EU to make everything look rosie. In reality the Italians i know want out. Greece definatly will be out within the next two years. Malta has realized its massive mistake joining. Long term the EU will consist of 5 maybe 6 countries.

24 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Greece is becoming third world? utterly ridiculous, when they joined half the population were sustenance farmers, they have way more than they did, they just can't afford their IMF loans, but the EU keeps bailing them out anyway, so what are you thinking exactly?  If it was not for the EU their banking system would collapse and they really would be back where they were, in the third world, but they will stay and they will, albeit very slowly, recover as a result of their EU financial protection.

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
25 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Greece 3rd world,I think not,even if it were 26 other nations would and have saved it,thats the union doing its job,yes if too many were to bail out its trouble,the 10+ wealthy nations will look after the poor man,who will look after the poor UK?

Just now, jeab1980 said:

I totaly agree its so easy for the major players in the EU to make everything look rosie. In reality the Italians i know want out. Greece definatly will be out within the next two years. Malta has realized its massive mistake joining. Long term the EU will consist of 5 maybe 6 countries.

Greece do not have the option to leave as the bulk of the money they owe is to the IMF and they need the EU to keep them from deferring, as that would mean doom for their economy.  

3 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

None of the above will happen,

1 minute ago, bomber said:

Greece 3rd world,I think not,even if it were 26 other nations would and have saved it,thats the union doing its job,yes if too many were to bail out its trouble,the 10+ wealthy nations will look after the poor man,who will look after the poor UK?

Lol how long do you really think the population of France/Germany will continue to take it on the chin tax wise to bail out the poorer countries. As for the UK once away from it tbey will be fine worldwide trade deals. Not having to worry about finding billions to bail out the Euro dteamers.

4 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Greece do not have the option to leave as the bulk of the money they owe is to the IMF and they need the EU to keep them from deferring, as that would mean doom for their economy.  

Do you teally think greece gives a monkeys nuts who it owes money to. If it cant pay it cant pay. Nobody will bail a country out forever. 

4 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Do you teally think greece gives a monkeys nuts who it owes money to. If it cant pay it cant pay. Nobody will bail a country out forever. 

If they defer on their loan then their banking system collapses, that is what will happen, so yes, I really do think Greece gives a monkeys nuts about paying, or at least meeting their interest, on their loans, their future depends on it, hence why we keep paying it for them, it is not actually for Greece or Greek people but for us, for us to not have a massive problem in our union that would cause huge migrations of people and result in further and far greater expenditure than the loan repayments, so in reality we will pay it forever, just increasingly reluctantly.

Greece is becoming third world? utterly ridiculous, when they joined half the population were sustenance farmers, they have way more than they did, they just can't afford their IMF loans, but the EU keeps bailing them out anyway, so what are you thinking exactly?  If it was not for the EU their banking system would collapse and they really would be back where they were, in the third world, but they will stay and they will, albeit very slowly, recover as a result of their EU financial protection.
I wanted to flush out the non British infecting this thread, i think i did that successfully