British expats in Thailand feeling the misery as the UK pound drops to record low levels.

cyberfarang

9 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Slowly but surley it will return i expect it to level out at between 48 and 50 eventually. 

No before the "how do you know this" posters start i dont i only expect it to tume and time being the word will tell.

Probably right!

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, TKDfella said:
I read that the first law hurdle has been passed. This caused the £ to increase by 1 Baht according to the exchange rate.

The inflation rate went up also which means interest rates are closer to going up

Thats not going to happen any time soon my bet is after the divorce is final

Well my pension's inflation linked (CPI), so I suppose a couple of years of higher inflation, followed by the pound shooting back up, would suit me just fine. Last 2 years were 0% and 1%, guessing this year might be 2%; no idea after that; small potatoes but every little bit helps. 

Edited by nausea
More info.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:
Thats not going to happen any time soon my bet is after the divorce is final

Maybe but any indication rates could go up strengthens the £

If i read it correctly Carney said could stay the same untill 2021

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
If i read it correctly Carney said could stay the same untill 2021

MPC meeting today, see what they say, last time 6-2 in favour of no change in rates. Inflation rate 2.9% higher than target of 2%

a rate rise is years away,still a chance they could the to zero before any rise

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
20 hours ago, TKDfella said:
I read that the first law hurdle has been passed. This caused the £ to increase by 1 Baht according to the exchange rate.

The inflation rate went up also which means interest rates are closer to going up

I certainly hope so, along with everyone that has money in the bank. One of the greatest crimes ever perpetrated by the banks was persuading the government to allow zero interest on savings.

Scum.

I certainly hope so, along with everyone that has money in the bank. One of the greatest crimes ever perpetrated by the banks was persuading the government to allow zero interest on savings.
Scum.
When they do go up it will be a pitiful 0.25 once or twice so good for strengthening £ but most likely not be passed on to savers. Personally I've transferred my cash ISAs to stocks&shares ISAs, and most cash into investment Funds

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Scum.

As in all things theres winners and theres loosers. Just for a change in this case money doesnt breed money. One of those things in life that suck for some but thats life.

21 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Just for a change in this case money doesnt breed money.

HUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course my money in a British bank is breeding money, but the scum bankers are keeping it for themselves and not paying me for the opportunity to use it to enrich themselves.

The ONLY country to jail bankers for the fraud that started it off is Iceland, and even there they get it easy in their very own country club.

Up to me they would be breaking rocks for 30 years.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

HUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course my money in a British bank is breeding money, but the scum bankers are keeping it for themselves and not paying me for the opportunity to use it to enrich themselves.

The ONLY country to jail bankers for the fraud that started it off is Iceland, and even there they get it easy in their very own country club.

Then you should move it and let it make money instead of letting it sit there making money for them? 

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

HUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some people's lives are just one long wish list

Edited by SheungWan

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Seems like you were wrong within 24 hours.
Pound jumps as Bank of England hints at rate rise - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41266528

how many hints have we seen in the last 5-7 years,probably 7-10 every year so 40-70, none have happened,oh sorry it did happen but they actually CUT rates,i rest my case.

Hints being the word still 7 to 2 to keep it low. Well worded that they HINT a rise MIGHT be on the cards.

They have probably got the responce they probably wanted a slight rise in the £,to help but the brakes on inflation without raising rates,which they or at least 7 of them have no intention of doing,the govt and the borrowing brigade cannot afford it and the boe know it.

26 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Tomorrow,s price hike may very well see the exodus of many retired (and other) Brits. As Robert Burns once said "T,is an ill wind that blows no-one any good" and surely countries like P.I. and Cambodia will benefit. I foresee an increase in "May we have 1 beer and 8 straws" !

But they will return with wads of money when brexit blossoms.

31 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Tomorrow,s price hike may very well see the exodus of many retired (and other) Brits. As Robert Burns once said "T,is an ill wind that blows no-one any good" and surely countries like P.I. and Cambodia will benefit. I foresee an increase in "May we have 1 beer and 8 straws" !

Have i missed something? Price hike?

Have i missed something? Price hike?

Do keep up man:

drink.jpg

As the new tax rates that will see higher prices for alcoholic beverages and cigarettes are going to be effective tomorrow (Sept 16 ), shortfalls of the two demerit goods are now reported with wholesalers and distributing agents started hoarding.

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Seems like you were wrong within 24 hours.
Pound jumps as Bank of England hints at rate rise - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41266528

Well, that got spent quickly.

19 minutes ago, nausea said:

Do keep up man:

drink.jpg

As the new tax rates that will see higher prices for alcoholic beverages and cigarettes are going to be effective tomorrow (Sept 16 ), shortfalls of the two demerit goods are now reported with wholesalers and distributing agents started hoarding.

Well, that got spent quickly.

Ah so thats why we have huge stocks in our lock up must ask the mrs.

4 hours ago, Craig krup said:

I'll bet there'll be a lot of support for the Baht if there's any weakness. Lots of Brits throwing pounds at it as soon as we're near 48, now that they've seen what can happen. 

Individual Brits buying/selling baht a small percentage of the FX market, unlikely to move the market.