Ghost town

Xaos

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Just how many malls does one need when they all sell the same stuff at the same prices?

Girls cheaper in C M :cheesy:. Hardly.

No, I've given up on the girl scene as it is no longer what it was in Pattaya, and living up north it's not even worth my time going to the pathetic version of barbeers that purports to be a night scene.

As with everything in life, all I write about is in my own experience, and life in C M is cheaper for me than it was 3 months ago in Pattaya.

However, I'm sure I could find some hovel in Pattaya that is cheaper than where I am living at the present time. The equivalent where I was staying in Pattaya was some 250 baht a day more expensive.

The worst thing about C M is the transport. Pattaya is far better with the fixed routes at 10 baht. However, I rarely have to use a songtheaw now, while in Pattaya I had to use them a lot.

Being married, the less of a whoremongering town it becomes, the happier my wife becomes.:smile: ... so to hear the bars are struggling is music to our ears LOL.

While I do not know your situation, it seems strange to me that so many farangs choose to live in a town that was whoremongering before they first set foot in Thailand, and then wish it wasn't.

There are so many places in Thailand that are NOT in any way whoremongering to choose from, so why stay if one doesn't like it. C M would probably suit your wife, as it's a nightlife desert.

If you're into beach, that's improving now too.

LOL. I never went to Pattaya for the beach. For that I went to the Gulf islands.

I have absolutely no idea what you pay for girls in CM. I just couldn't think of any other reason for you to conclude that the cost of living is cheaper there. I do have an idea what girls cost in Pattaya as I have friends who visit and partake and I do know it is getting rather expensive.

So you're paying a little less on rent, that's why it's cheaper than Pattaya? There are amazing deals for accommodation in Pattaya - you just have to look around. I'll bet you won't find anything close to what I found in Pattaya for the same price. 

I'm not complaining about the whoremongering scene. That doesn't mean I'm not happy to see it decline. It was well established when we arrived and will likely continue long after we have departed.

A decline in the sex-trade just makes a good place even better for me. I'm not about to move to Sri Racha or Chonburi because of it.

You ask why one needs more than one mall? We don't need more than one mall, but it certainly is nice to have more.

By "if you're into beach" I meant people in general, not you specifically. It would be confusing for some that a person with the handle "Thaibeachlovers" would hate the beaches where he chose to live. I used to live beachfront in Surfers Paradise. If I needed beaches I'd still be there. 

Edited by tropo

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 6:26 PM, tropo said:

It would be confusing for some that a person with the handle "Thaibeachlovers" would hate the beaches where he chose to live.

LOL. I have had that username long before living in Pattaya. I see no reason to change it just because I no longer visit the Gulf beaches. It is just a username, after all, like yours.

27 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I have had that username long before living in Pattaya. I see no reason to change it just because I no longer visit the Gulf beaches. It is just a username, after all, like yours.

It's not really like mine - it's a very specific title that indicates that you love beaches in Thailand. Tropo has no meaning whatsoever. 

22 hours ago, tropo said:

It's not really like mine - it's a very specific title that indicates that you love beaches in Thailand. Tropo has no meaning whatsoever. 

Yes I do love Thailand's beaches, but not Pattaya or Puket's. I just don't get to go visit them much anymore, but entirely valid from any point of view.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes I do love Thailand's beaches, but not Pattaya or Puket's. I just don't get to go visit them much anymore, but entirely valid from any point of view.

Too much sun tanning abuse in my early years has kept me away from tropical beaches. The sea breeze and view is all I need LOL.

Cycling on beach road today , plenty of people around, but majority seem to be Chinese tour groups. Also the same crowd you see in the bars that needs a drink before 12 am are still there. Nothing has changed, normal for September.

Typhoon season in Southern China, HK, Macau so plenty visitors from there just now. They don't frequent bars and gogos, but do shop till they drop. I am not talking zero dollar tourists, but independant, monied and young. You won't be seeing them on Soi Buakao any time soon.

Soi Buakao only busy between 8&9am , that's when the pommy pension runs out for the day . Cheers chaps , see you all tomorrow for Brekky .

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, Blinky62 said:

Kuta beach is far worse than Pattaya . The place is a mess . Traffic is a mess . Pattaya has its problems, but way better than Kuta Legian .

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ha ha - you obviously have never been there. I've spent time at both recently and the Bali beaches and sea are much cleaner.

Crossing the road is also far easier in Kuta / Legian than Beach / 2nd Rd.

Wait until it gets cold in Euro, Russia, and N. America. 
It's still beautifully warm in some parts of the world.
The other reality is some people are going elsewhere. Simply fed up with the fakery and Thainess. 

I move around a lot. I can tell its ghost town.

Bukhao is empty.

Beach rd. Little tourists walk.

I just back from Phuket, Patong is packed.

Pattaya is really bad, from business point of view.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Most tourist come here to buy fakery and wouldn't have a clue about thainess

I was just there in late July. Either side of Nguyen Hue pedestrian mall in D1, all the streets with restaurants and coffee shops  were jammed with tourists, walking in 3s, 4s and bigger groups. At night, I've never seen it so crowded, and I've been to SGN probably 15 times over the last 8 years.

I really don't think Pattaya's as busy as it used to be, high or low season. A long-time visitor from my country and I met on 2nd Road one day last January. The place is dead, he immediately declared, after several days of visiting. 

90% back packers.. Turned me off the place.. Oh and the thousand motor bikes all pressing the horn at the same time.. Yuk

7 hours ago, londoedan said:

Ha ha - you obviously have never been there. I've spent time at both recently and the Bali beaches and sea are much cleaner.

Crossing the road is also far easier in Kuta / Legian than Beach / 2nd Rd.

I have been there several times, but admittedly not since 1998 (didn't have any desire to return since then). Back then Kuta was insufferable due to the large volume of drunken young Aussie louts there. I had enough of them back in Australia without having to travel to meet them. Also, I remember touters that would follow me for blocks (especially in Denpasar) trying to sell me stuff.

11 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Annoying aggressive stray dogs in Bali.However Jomtien beach it does more dead now then lets say 3 months ago.

Yeah, I'm sure with the Hindu beliefs about animals, there's even less chance they will kill aggressive ones than they would here on the streets in Pattaya. I don't remember a dog problem when I was there.

51 minutes ago, tropo said:

Yeah, I'm sure with the Hindu beliefs about animals, there's even less chance they will kill aggressive ones than they would here on the streets in Pattaya. I don't remember a dog problem when I was there.

I Mean Jomtien beach not many people visitors anymore but let me check when the sun still out.

text can always be interpreted, Xaos, the OP, is telling us that Phuket is packed, fine that is certainly true.

But packed by who ? While I agree that Pattaya has its share of really unpleasant tourists, Phuket has a very special breed.

Please let me elaborate, I come from France and their is a specificity to Phuket that relates to our country : it is filled with young thugs, mostly coming from our "projects", call it whatever you want but basically bad neighboorhood where they parents have been parks in the past.

There is now a trend in France, that I am sure you can easily linked to a lot of terrorist attacks, of young people (i would say the generations from 5 to 40) willing to go back to their roots, their religion, their own people and act violently.

They open halal fast food snack in phuket, they are noisy, not always polite, could be violent and also they come their to spend their money won by either selling their bodies (you must have noticed all these beurettes in Phuket) or selling drugs in France (mainly cocaine/haschich).

They also have dodgy business in Phuket, they know they just need to find an "uncle" like they call it, i.e. a Thai with connexion that takes a % of their business.

call me racist or whatever but I am of the same age of these guys and same roots...but I chose a different life path and to fly thousands of kilometers to see these dicks cocking around and playing mafia guys, getting a hard on at the shooting range, while acting like good integrist muslim is just a big "KEEP PHUKET TO YOURSELF OP" to me.

Also, not difficult to understand why they chose Phuket, a lot of thai muslim there, they just help each other.

anyway, even if Pattaya gets shits of its own, at least there are several forces in presences, which keep a balance. I dont see much resistance being opposed to these "French Copy" or "French Arabs" in Phuket, as Thais now called them (the nick names are here for a reason, Thais have noticed how bads these guys behave).

Edited by Darkkakashi

1 hour ago, Darkkakashi said:

text can always be interpreted, Xaos, the OP, is telling us that Phuket is packed, fine that is certainly true.

But packed by who ? While I agree that Pattaya has its share of really unpleasant tourists, Phuket has a very special breed.

Please let me elaborate, I come from France and their is a specificity to Phuket that relates to our country : it is filled with young thugs, mostly coming from our "projects", call it whatever you want but basically bad neighboorhood where they parents have been parks in the past.

There is now a trend in France, that I am sure you can easily linked to a lot of terrorist attacks, of young people (i would say the generations from 5 to 40) willing to go back to their roots, their religion, their own people and act violently.

They open halal fast food snack in phuket, they are noisy, not always polite, could be violent and also they come their to spend their money won by either selling their bodies (you must have noticed all these beurettes in Phuket) or selling drugs in France (mainly cocaine/haschich).

They also have dodgy business in Phuket, they know they just need to find an "uncle" like they call it, i.e. a Thai with connexion that takes a % of their business.

call me racist or whatever but I am of the same age of these guys and same roots...but I chose a different life path and to fly thousands of kilometers to see these dicks cocking around and playing mafia guys, getting a hard on at the shooting range, while acting like good integrist muslim is just a big "KEEP PHUKET TO YOURSELF OP" to me.

Also, not difficult to understand why they chose Phuket, a lot of thai muslim there, they just help each other.

anyway, even if Pattaya gets shits of its own, at least there are several forces in presences, which keep a balance. I dont see much resistance being opposed to these "French Copy" or "French Arabs" in Phuket, as Thais now called them (the nick names are here for a reason, Thais have noticed how bads these guys behave).

Very true. Main reason I'm not going to Patong anymore. Can't stand those guys.

Tourists.

I look at things from business side, as we are in to it.

More ppl = more $$

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

On 29/08/2017 at 11:22 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Newspapers play to their paying customers and in the west they have an audience that loves to read trash about Thailand, and in particular the sex industry. I frequently read about Pattaya but almost never about anything positive about wider Thailand.

I'm surprised that you think Thailand actually "does" anything in public relations. In 10 years living in the UK I never saw any publicity for Thailand. Even the location of the TAT in London seemed to be a secret, though I eventually found it.

long range vision as a family resort seems reasonable

Surely thou jest!

Pattaya does nothing that comes within the purview of "planning". They spend a lot of money on projects for the usual reasons, but none of them are designed to create a "family" resort city. If any family friendly activities are built it is always private enterprise that does so. Meanwhile, the infrastructure continues to deteriorate around the mega projects, and zero is done to address crime and traffic.

Strengths of Pattaya? Which would be? Traffic jams, decrepitude, crime, stench, filth perhaps?

Limit building. 5555555555555555555

They will build till it is impossible to move in Pattaya and there is no tap water for 12 hours a day. However, public friendly infrastructure like cycle paths, controlled pedestrian crossings and parks will not feature.

Like anywhere, alcohol causes problems and death- why lighten up on it? Not that it's very inhibited in LOS as the road toll attests.

the West has drunk driving laws as well, yet they do not pull everyone over for DD tests. 

I think you are wrong. Road block breath testing does happen in western countries.

Should do some drug testing as well as drink.

15 hours ago, Darkkakashi said:

Absolutely correct. You have hit the nail on the head. After years working in the MENA I got this vibe very quickly and noticed negative cultural and religious influence.  Phuket is hell compared to Pattaya.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:41 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I don't know what the OP is talking about.

I just spent 2 days at Centara Grand and a bunch of Russians were closing deals on condominiums. Not to mention that the hotel was fully booked.

Most of the non Russian expats in Pattaya do not stay in places like Centara.