Easiest path to retirement Visa

Hi gurus,

i am a retired 57 yo single American from houston Texas looking to relocate to Thailand and obtain a retirement Visa. I do not have any family currently in Thailand. From what i have read, the simplest path for me is to travel over on a tourist visa, then while in Thailand apply for a change to Type O, non-immigrant visa based on "exploring retirement". It is my understanding that i would need the Typo O in order to open a bank account and start clock on having 800k baht funds in account. After obtaining Type O Visa, and having funded bank account for 2months, i then apply for extension based on retirement. By doing this in Thailand a can avoid the need for the background check and the medical cert.

My questions are as follows:

1) Do i in fact have to have a Type O visa to open bank account in Thailand? (I plan to use Bangkok Bank)

2) Im initially planning to live in Hua Hin but plan to travel around the region the 1st year, is there any advantage to handling my visa issues in Bangkok rather than Hua Hin?

3) What are the documentation requirements for requesting to change visa to Type O?

4) If i claim a part of my 800k baht funds as an annuity, is it easier or cheaper to obtain the affidavit from my Thai consulate here in Houston or at the American Embassy in Thailand?

5) If I obtain item 4 from my local Thai Consulate, will they look down on my plan to request retirement extension while in Thailand rather than through them?

Any obvious flaws in my logic or cheaper or easier ways to accomplish same?

thank you in advance on any advice. 

Cheers

David

I think, your best and easiest option is to apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay) at a Thai Embassy in the USA. Otherwise, you are hassling with all these short-term patchwork visas. For sure there will be people who might know better. I dabbled at research on this subject as I am also making plans to retire and do extensive travel in SEA.

For the background checks you can do this at the state level or use the FBI Identity Summary. This takes forever and requires a fingerprint submission. I used my state CORI System and got the results back within days. There were errors in the report and I cleaned them from the report. So, this is fixed, 'No Criminal Record'.  Regardless, this is worth doing to check for yourself. 

The health check is very basic, they are not looking for being overweight or high-blood pressure, just communicable diseases. I am a veteran and I can have this done free, however, it shouldn't cost much at a local clinic. Also, the financial requirements are done here, not from Thailand.

More details and forms here.

http://thaiembdc.org/visas/

Also, the Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O” is only available outside of Thailand, and I looked everyplace in the US and I can't find this available for purposes of 'retirement'.

I am sure others will help you along.

Actually, totally contrary to what is stated above, you CAN enter Thailand on a 30 day stamp or (better) a tourist visa and do a CONVERSION to a 90 day O visa in Thailand.

Once in Thailand you are not "exploring" retirement. The conversion is indeed a first step with the second one being an annual retirement extension. 

Also, I'm pretty sure there are some consulates in the USA where you can get a single entry 90 day O visa based on exploring retirement. Such as Portland. I don't have current information on that. Contact the consulates directly. Definitely not possible at the D.C. embassy or LA though. 

As far as an O-A visa in the U.S., yes that is a good option but over the years many people have reported great expense and hassles in getting the form filled. It must be done in the U.S. and many doctors will take the form literally (to preserve their "ethics") and require that you actually undergo every clinical medical test implied on the form. Obviously, people's connection to the medical system in the U.S. system varies. If you have a doctor you've been seeing for 20 years, it would likely be different. 

For conversion to O and retirement extensions in Thailand, you do not need a medical form or police record report. 

If not doing the O-A, having a single entry 90 day O visa from the U.S. is definitely better than entering on a 30 day stamp or tourist visa. Less time pressure to do the conversion step to O in Thailand as you don't need to do that at all if entering with an O visa. 

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing is correct. Come in on a 30 day and once in, get a local immigration/visa consultant involved who will quote you a fee to handle everything for you. They can arrange opening a bank account, getting the non-o and the 12 month renewable. They can also handle the 90 day reporting for you.

Up here in Chiang Mai I used a company called Siam Legal. They have offices in Bangkok as well. 

Budget around 20,000-25,000 all up for everything. They take the hassle out of it. Also you could shop around for a better deal but I found most up here about the same price all up.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I obtained my Non-Imm O-A from the Los Angeles Thai Consulate 6 months ago.  It was not an easy process but not very difficult either.  Here are the things I had to complete and the timeline:

1.  Pension letter verification: 1 week from pension board zero cost

2.  Local Police Background Check: 2 days $17 dollars

3.  Visa Medical from a clinic I had never gone to before: 3 days for blood test results and total cost $260

4.  Passport Photos: $30 

5.  Notarization Fees: $30

6. Visa Fee: $200 Money Order(Consulate would only accept a money order)

Submitted the documents and the passport on a Thursday Morning at 0930 and Picked up my passport with the Extension of Stay(Visa) on Friday Morning at 1030.  One month later I was living in CNX.   

Good luck on your journey.

• Like 2

You should check with the honorary Thai consulate in Houston about getting a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over. Website:http://www.thaiconsulatehouston.com/

If you don't get a non-o visa you should get a single entry tourist visa which will give you more time to open a bank and etc. Without a visa for entry you may need a return or onward ticket to board your flight to here.

In order to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration you must have the 800k baht in the bank on the date you apply or proof of 65k baht income by way of a income affidavit done at US embassy or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa you would apply for the one year extension of stay based upon retirement. If using the money in the bank option the 800k baht will need to be in the bank for 60 days on the date you apply.

You have to apply for the visa and extension where you will be living. Most offices will want proof of address to apply.

• Like 2

1) Do i in fact have to have a Type O visa to open bank account in Thailand? (I plan to use Bangkok Bank)

No. Bangkok Bank in Hua Hin should be fine, they are used to foreigners.

2) Im initially planning to live in Hua Hin but plan to travel around the region the 1st year, is there any advantage to handling my visa issues in Bangkok rather than Hua Hin?

No. Might be fewer queues in Hua Hin, which is aparently one of the user friendly immigration offices (according to my mate)

3) What are the documentation requirements for requesting to change visa to Type O?

See Ubon Joe's reply. He is the Main Man in visa issues.

4) If i claim a part of my 800k baht funds as an annuity, is it easier or cheaper to obtain the affidavit from my Thai consulate here in Houston or at the American Embassy in Thailand?

Pass. Maybe someone can say whether the American "self certification of income" in the US embassy is still a good route.  I have always had 800k in the bank. Makes life much easier and I don't get ripped off by the British embassy.

5) If I obtain item 4 from my local Thai Consulate, will they look down on my plan to request retirement extension while in Thailand rather than through them?

They do not care.

And there is absolutely no need to squander USD 600 on using a visa agent to open bank accounts and do the rest. Indeed the experience of doing this yourself keeps you independent and will be of huge benefit in the future. It also fills in an hour or two of time with a productive activity, which is important in retirement.

• Like 1

I did my retirement visa in my home country before I came because it gave me 12 months peace of mind. There is a lot to take in. Also get your internatonal drivers permit and if possible include motor bike. Easy to then convert to Thai licences. Firstly you need Thai DL if here permanently but also good for ID. Only then need paper copy of passport main page in your wallet. HH immigration are farang friendly.

• Like 1

The easiest and cheapest way to do this for an American in Bangkok is as follows:

1. Enter on visa exempt.

2. Go to US Embassy and pay $50 for income affidavit.

3. Go to Changwattana and convert Visa exempt to 90 day non-O...2000 baht.

4. Go back to Changwattana and get stamp after 2 weeks.

5. Within last 30 days of your permission to stay go back to Changwattana and apply for one year extension...1900 baht. Also of note...when getting your 90 day O-Visa, immigration makes a photocopy and certifies your income affidavit so you do not need to go back to your Embassy and pay to get a new one if you bring your copy when applying for extension.

6. Return to immigration and get your one year extension stamp.

I am going through this process right now...total costs $50 + 3900 baht.

No doctor or police reports needed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

I went through this process at Hua Hin a few weeks ago. As has been mentioned its best to apply for a tourist visa to give yourself enough time. I opened a Bangkok Bank account last year when I was on an education visa but I think the branch here is quite flexible and if you tell them you want to open an account for a retirement visa I think you will be ok.

You don't need to waste money on an agent, it's not difficult, but you do need the correct paperwork and they do check it carefully. When I applied to change my tourist visa to a non O with the TM86 form this is what they required:

2 TM86 forms filled out each with a complete set of copies and a photo for each. They ask you to get the photocopier woman outside to check everything.

Copies required:

Letter from the bank confirming the amount in the account and also print outs from them showing that the money was transferred from abroad. You can get these from on the day you go to immigration. Cost 100 baht.

Every page of your recently updated bank passbook.

Passport front page, current visa and departure card.

In my case for renting a Condo they required:

Every page of the rental contract.

Owners id card and condo registration. They did phone the staff at the condo to check something.

Once this is all accepted with the 2000 baht fee just go back in 2-3 weeks to get a new stamp in your passport then again in 60 days with letter from bank for the retirement extension.

Just do as most here have advised, trust UbonJoe on details, he da' main man. Just collect the needed paperwork and no need at all for visa service.

Use the US embassy income letter, it is simple and has six-month validity period with the Immies. Need to make an appointment for the consulate services such as the letter, do that well in advance of need because they tend to get filled up quickly. Follow their appointment rules to the letter, they are bears on security but very helpful when inside.

BKK bank is very good re transfer money from your USA bank to TH and pretty good for just about every bank service. 

Hook 'em horns and welcome to TH.

Just to emphasize what UJ said above - try to get the Non-O Single-Entry at the Houston consulate.  Yes, you can convert a Tourist-type entry to a Non-O in Thailand, but you will make your life easier if you can avoid that step, by arriving with a Non-O to start.  The conditions to get that visa are much easier (varies by consulate-office) than the "Non-O-A" 1-year multiple-entry visa, which requires the lists of things others have outlined, above.

And even if the Non-O 90-day turns out to be not-do-able at the Houston consulate for some reason, they are still worth a visit, because you will gain more permitted-stay time with a Tourist visa from them (60-days), than you would from a Visa-Exempt entry (30-days).

• Like 2

I agree with SmartyMarty -- I'm 49, but have done the research at Assist Thai Visa in Chiang Mai. They quote the exact same price as Marty's agent, and they offer to handle everything he suggests, hassle-free. They come recommended to me by several people, and I've gone to them on several occasions. So just go to Thailand, pick a good, recommended visa agent, making sure they offer the same services as folks are discussing here, pay the fee, and arom di!

2 hours ago, TeaMonkey said:

I went through this process at Hua Hin a few weeks ago. As has been mentioned its best to apply for a tourist visa to give yourself enough time. I opened a Bangkok Bank account last year when I was on an education visa but I think the branch here is quite flexible and if you tell them you want to open an account for a retirement visa I think you will be ok.

You don't need to waste money on an agent, it's not difficult, but you do need the correct paperwork and they do check it carefully. When I applied to change my tourist visa to a non O with the TM86 form this is what they required:

2 TM86 forms filled out each with a complete set of copies and a photo for each. They ask you to get the photocopier woman outside to check everything.

Copies required:

Letter from the bank confirming the amount in the account and also print outs from them showing that the money was transferred from abroad. You can get these from on the day you go to immigration. Cost 100 baht.

Every page of your recently updated bank passbook.

Passport front page, current visa and departure card.

In my case for renting a Condo they required:

Every page of the rental contract.

Owners id card and condo registration. They did phone the staff at the condo to check something.

Once this is all accepted with the 2000 baht fee just go back in 2-3 weeks to get a new stamp in your passport then again in 60 days with letter from bank for the retirement extension.

As above- do it yourself and pay B1900 (and B3800 for multi entry permit if you are going to be travelling outside Thailand as well) instead of extortionate visa company prices. It just takes a bit of patience.

1 hour ago, Scott3000 said:

I agree with SmartyMarty -- I'm 49, but have done the research at Assist Thai Visa in Chiang Mai. They quote the exact same price as Marty's agent, and they offer to handle everything he suggests, hassle-free. They come recommended to me by several people, and I've gone to them on several occasions. So just go to Thailand, pick a good, recommended visa agent, making sure they offer the same services as folks are discussing here, pay the fee, and arom di!

"Handling" the 90 reporting and yearly OA extensions i.e. you don't go to Immigration yourself? Sounds like sailing very close to the wind. I've heard of these agents and IMHO everything goes OK - until it doesn't, and then the drama starts......

My advice. If you think you might want to use an agent, learn the actual immigration rules first, and then determine whether your agent is following them or not. So that you know whether you're paying for a corrupt service or just a forms filing service. If you use a corrupt service, the day might come where it bites you back. I think it's wise to be conscious of what you're doing. There might be people here that have used corrupt services for 10 years. So what? The next year might be crackdown time.

Edited by Jingthing

5 hours ago, calbts2 said:

The easiest and cheapest way to do this for an American in Bangkok is as follows:

1. Enter on visa exempt.

2. Go to US Embassy and pay $50 for income affidavit.

3. Go to Changwattana and convert Visa exempt to 90 day non-O...2000 baht.

4. Go back to Changwattana and get stamp after 2 weeks.

5. Within last 30 days of your permission to stay go back to Changwattana and apply for one year extension...1900 baht. Also of note...when getting your 90 day O-Visa, immigration makes a photocopy and certifies your income affidavit so you do not need to go back to your Embassy and pay to get a new one if you bring your copy when applying for extension.

6. Return to immigration and get your one year extension stamp.

I am going through this process right now...total costs $50 + 3900 baht.

No doctor or police reports needed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I am from Texas. Just be aware that American Airlines or any airline based in America will not allow you to fly to Bangkok on a one way ticket without a visa.  They do not allow you to fly to Bangkok and get a visa exempt 30 day admission without a return flight within 30 days of arrival  so look at ubonjoe's advice. 

You don't need an international drivers license. Thailand has three easy physical tests to pass and Thailand will give you the same drivers license like you have in Texas. Meaning if you have a car and motorcycle license in Texas you get same in Thailand. The tests are easy to pass and they have an English video before the tests telling you how to pass the tests. Just make sure you wear long pants when you show up to get your thailand drivers license. They don't allow shorts above the knee to be worn at the drivers license office in Bangkok. Good luck. Sorry for the flooding in Houston.  

31 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

I am from Texas. Just be aware that American Airlines or any airline based in America will not allow you to fly to Bangkok on a one way ticket without a visa.  They do not allow you to fly to Bangkok and get a visa exempt 30 day admission without a return flight within 30 days of arrival  so look at ubonjoe's advice. 

You don't need an international drivers license. Thailand has three easy physical tests to pass and Thailand will give you the same drivers license like you have in Texas. Meaning if you have a car and motorcycle license in Texas you get same in Thailand. The tests are easy to pass and they have an English video before the tests telling you how to pass the tests. Just make sure you wear long pants when you show up to get your thailand drivers license. They don't allow shorts above the knee to be worn at the drivers license office in Bangkok. Good luck. Sorry for the flooding in Houston.  

I just flew round trip Bangkok to SFO and back on Visa exempt. I have 3 years of ED and tourist visas along with a few recent Visa exempts. I was not even questioned at all about my visa status checking in at SFO. I even had a "pay later at the airline office" reservation for Thai Air ready but it was not needed.

I did not however fly on an any American based airlines.

I try to avoid flying any airline based in the US, China, or India as from my travel experience - those carriers are some of the worst in the world..but that is another subject altogether.

My method not be the best for you but it is certainly less hassle and cheaper than getting background checks, paying for US Medical tests, etc. in getting a NON-O-A in the US.

Flying to Thailand from the U.S. with no visa can indeed be an issue at the airport. That doesn't mean it will always be.

To be sure it will be OK, you can buy an air ticket leaving Thailand within 30 days. I did this once and just threw away a very cheap ticket to Malaysia.

Or you can buy a refundable ticket, generally more expensive. 

Also retired and planning on staying long-term .. so, from what I'm understanding, it may be less hassle to get a 90 day visa through an embassy in the US then extend that to a retirement visa once we're settled in a long-term rental? Immigration (& airlines) won't require us to have a return ticket ready for 90 days later? Have heard of people that have had that issue in other countries. When or if asked upon arriving in Thailand, do we state that we are just visiting for up to 90 days and do we need to state a purpose, or can we say we are intending to look at longer term options? 

29 minutes ago, woodenjake said:

Also retired and planning on staying long-term .. so, from what I'm understanding, it may be less hassle to get a 90 day visa through an embassy in the US then extend that to a retirement visa once we're settled in a long-term rental? Immigration (& airlines) won't require us to have a return ticket ready for 90 days later? Have heard of people that have had that issue in other countries. When or if asked upon arriving in Thailand, do we state that we are just visiting for up to 90 days and do we need to state a purpose, or can we say we are intending to look at longer term options? 

Not exactly.

There is only one Thai embassy in the U.S. in D.C. 

They will not grant a single entry O based on exploring retirement.

But they do offer one year O-A visas.

Some provincial consulates might grant the single O.

Yes, entering on a single O is good and there would be no issue with the airline boarding with that.

Thai immigration at the airport will generally not ask what's your purpose when you arrive on an O visa. They'll just stamp you in. 

In the rare case that they did, saying you are planning on applying for a retirement extension in Thailand would be totally OK. 

There is no such thing as a "retirement visa" that you apply for in Thailand.

Only conversions to 90 day Os or annual retirement extensions.

The visa in this case would be the 90 day O visa you're entering with. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

I am looking at two forms that are required for a One Year O-A Visa. One is the Visa Application, the other is specific One Year O-A Visa. I have the following questions. Thanks in advance.

Form A

Date of arrival in Thailand: This question does not ask for a flight itinerary. Can this be TBD or planned date of arrival?

Place to stay in Thailand, Tel: Do I need to show reservations?
Reference person and address in Thailand, Tel and email: What if  you don't have a reference?

Form A

Date of arrival in Thailand, Flight No, Port of Entry: Here they are more specific.

Proposed address to stay in Thailand, Tel, FAX: Same question.

Reference person in Thailand, Tel, Fax: What if  you don't have a reference?

I am asking these questions because if a have a one year approved visa, it appears to be good for one year upon approval. From that date I would commit to the best available airfare and accommodations. I still stuck with a Thai Reference.

18 minutes ago, Kim1950 said:

Date of arrival in Thailand:* This question does not ask for a flight itinerary. Can this be TBD or planned date of arrival?

Place to stay in Thailand**, Tel: Do I need to show reservations?
Reference person and address in Thailand, Tel and email:*** What if  you don't have a reference?

*Date of arrival should be on the airline ticket you must submit for an O-A

**Place can be a hotel, no you don't have to show a reservation 

***Make up a name and address in Thailand, no one is going to check

20 minutes ago, Kim1950 said:

I am asking these questions because if a have a one year approved visa, it appears to be good for one year upon approval. From that date I would commit to the best available airfare and accommodations. I still stuck with a Thai Reference.

You either have a visa or you don't and they are all year visa's unless you have a tourist visa so don't understand what you mean by "approved visa".  If you have an O-A Visa than it has an expiration date (use by) and you must travel to Thailand before the visa expires 

You also add to the confusion with your Form A and Form A.  There is one official application form and then an auxiliary forms  that does repeat some of the information but is titled Additional Application Form

You also need to specify where you are applying  , since there are some minor differences between New York, Chicago, Los Angeles Consulates and the Embassy in Washington 

• Like 1

Emmense Thanks to all who responded! Very very helpful perspectives. 

I think i have a good idea of how i want to proceed. Step one is to discuss whether i can get a non-img type O from my local consulate office. Unfortunately, im in Houston which is basically under water at the moment, with everything shut down due to TS Henry. 

I think i can handle this without an agency and save the bucks, plus learn the process better. 

Again, thank you everyone.

David

8 hours ago, Kim1950 said:

I am looking at two forms that are required for a One Year O-A Visa. One is the Visa Application, the other is specific One Year O-A Visa. I have the following questions. Thanks in advance.

Form A

Date of arrival in Thailand: This question does not ask for a flight itinerary. Can this be TBD or planned date of arrival?

Place to stay in Thailand, Tel: Do I need to show reservations?
Reference person and address in Thailand, Tel and email: What if  you don't have a reference?

Form A

Date of arrival in Thailand, Flight No, Port of Entry: Here they are more specific.

Reference person in Thailand, Tel, Fax: What if  you don't have a reference?

Google "thailand "O" visa embassy usa"  You don't need a local Thai reference.  Please post your reference for "

"Form A

Reference person in Thailand, Tel, Fax:"

Where did this question come from?

The requirements from the Thai consulate in NY are slightly different than those listed on the Thai Embassy website. The Embassy only accepts criminal background check from state or feds while Consulate also accepts local PD or an authorized agency.

Besides the visa application form, the additional form asks for travel details, proposed address (with phone number) and a reference person (with phone number) in Thailand. See attached form - same from both embassy and consulate websites.

personal data Thai visa Aug 2017.pdf

Edited by JerseytoBKK

47 minutes ago, JerseytoBKK said:

The requirements from the Thai consulate in NY are slightly different than those listed on the Thai Embassy website. The Embassy only accepts criminal background check from state or feds while Consulate also accepts local PD or an authorized agency.

Besides the visa application form, the additional form asks for travel details, proposed address (with phone number) and a reference person (with phone number) in Thailand. See attached form - same from both embassy and consulate websites.

personal data Thai visa Aug 2017.pdf

List the manager of the hotel you are staying at or ask the US embassy in Thailand who to list or use a Thai dating service or one of the ladies at an on line beer bar. You have answered my question above where the requirement came from. 

Edited by amvet
add

10 minutes ago, amvet said:

List the manager of the hotel you are staying at or ask the US embassy in Thailand who to list or use a Thai dating service or one of the ladies at an on line beer bar. You have answered my question above where the requirement came from. 

I didn't post a link because the Consulate link is a forced download but just realized that the Embassy link will actually work: http://thaiembdc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Additional-Application-Form-For-Non-Immigrant-O-A-Long-Stay-Only.pdf

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:26 AM, Kim1950 said:

I think, your best and easiest option is to apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay) at a Thai Embassy in the USA. Otherwise, you are hassling with all these short-term patchwork visas. For sure there will be people who might know better. I dabbled at research on this subject as I am also making plans to retire and do extensive travel in SEA.

For the background checks you can do this at the state level or use the FBI Identity Summary. This takes forever and requires a fingerprint submission. I used my state CORI System and got the results back within days. There were errors in the report and I cleaned them from the report. So, this is fixed, 'No Criminal Record'.  Regardless, this is worth doing to check for yourself. 

The health check is very basic, they are not looking for being overweight or high-blood pressure, just communicable diseases. I am a veteran and I can have this done free, however, it shouldn't cost much at a local clinic. Also, the financial requirements are done here, not from Thailand.

More details and forms here.

http://thaiembdc.org/visas/

Also, the Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O” is only available outside of Thailand, and I looked everyplace in the US and I can't find this available for purposes of 'retirement'.

I am sure others will help you along.

I opted for the US royal consulate in LA for mine, the only thing about it is that extending it in the U.S. is not an option, the whole application process must be done again and a new visa issued. If you wish to use funds in the U.S. for verification and not move them to Thailand it's a good option (in my case I would have had to move funds for I and the wife). I didn't think the application process was overly difficult.

Edited by Lee4Life
make easier to understand