Did anyone end up hating Thailand after retiring?

Aing123

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 29/08/2017 at 8:09 AM, Craig krup said:

That's the thing that's freaking me out. I'm a creature of routines, so I can establish a routine in Thailand that's mellow for say a couple of months, but could I do it indefinitely

Having said that, what's the alternative? You don't get any smarter as you get older - and I'm not getting any more patient - so highly skilled work is going to become more difficult at some point, unless you're happy about doing progressively less impressive work. Routine drudgery doesn't look too good either. So at some point a decision has to be made. 

Impose your own routine and escape from the institutional state of mind that you seem to be trapped in like a prisoner.

Grass over the fence is always greener syndrome could set in sooner than most think.

Everything in moderation, have a rotation plan, take a break every x amount of months and visit somewhere else,

A little perspective of what you may or may not be missing goes a long way.

6 minutes ago, cobra said:

Grass over the fence is always greener syndrome could set in sooner than most think.

Everything in moderation, have a rotation plan, take a break every x amount of months and visit somewhere else,

A little perspective of what you may or may not be missing goes a long way.

Excellent point.  I'm just back from Bangladesh.  I was soooooo happy to be back in Thailand. LOL.

11 hours ago, The manic said:

One thing I notice about the gloomy guys in Pattaya is that they dont do the girly scene. The guys that do go out on sexual adventures always seem happier and enjoy life more.

Perhaps that's more an indictment of marriage, since most of the guys doing the girly scene don't have a wife back home?

But seriously, I'd take issue with the statement, just like I'd take issue with anyone claiming the guys who get drunk every night are happier.  

Maybe on outward public appearance, but what about the other 20+ hours in each day?  And just like back home, I rarely run into the well adjusted guys I know outside of the office since they have families they love and lives they lead that don't put them on public display like the fast lane lives of mongers and booze hounds.  

But, whatever floats their boats- as long as it doesn't impinge on others' rights to enjoy what floats their respective dinghies.

Edited by impulse

and some of us really dont like the bar girl sceen, playing about with your life just for a quick f##k not for me thank you,

how can anyone enjoy putting it were thousands have been before is not for me, yes i like sex (with ladies) but not bar girls, no no no, and im not saying they want at one time nice young girls and im not pulling them down for what they do, im just saying its not for me, ive had some good craic im my mates bar years ago it was the coral reef bar in soi 8 phil was from the same town as me, but sleeping with them just isnt for me,

pattaya great place in moderation, you can get anything you like

in the sticks very limited on some things,

do i hate thailand,, no,, do i hate some thais, yes big time,

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 2:40 PM, craigt3365 said:

Illegal or not, if an official wanted to fine you for this, it could happen.  I know a guy who got turned into immigration for collecting homeowners association's dues.  Crazy things happen here in Thailand, not all make them to the press.

Bunch of musicians in Chiang Mai got done some years ago for jamming in a bar.

There was even a rumour that volunteers after the tsunami were being done for "working" without a work permit.

6 hours ago, pigeonjake said:

and some of us really dont like the bar girl sceen, playing about with your life just for a quick f##k not for me thank you,

how can anyone enjoy putting it were thousands have been before is not for me, yes i like sex (with ladies) but not bar girls, no no no, and im not saying they want at one time nice young girls and im not pulling them down for what they do, im just saying its not for me, ive had some good craic im my mates bar years ago it was the coral reef bar in soi 8 phil was from the same town as me, but sleeping with them just isnt for me,

pattaya great place in moderation, you can get anything you like

in the sticks very limited on some things,

do i hate thailand,, no,, do i hate some thais, yes big time,

LOL. No one is forcing anyone to sleep with bargirls, but the idea that some girl back home hasn't slept with loads of different guys before is cracking me up. If they do it with Joe that they just met, they have probably done it with heaps of other guys. Since they invented the pill, it's all on, and girls are just as randy as guys, till they catch one and then it's all off.

On 8/28/2017 at 10:13 PM, chickenslegs said:

Oh, and just to add. ThaiVisa is a great source of news and other information, but it does seem to attract a lot of negative posters and Thai bashers.

Oh surly not Chickenslegs................:wub:

19 hours ago, The manic said:

Actually it does not need immigration officials to intervene in what we would just call helping a friend. The police or army can brace you. The army are more expensive to pay off. Recently two ex pats were caught  carrying an A.C. unit from a truck to bar and were 'fined ' about 50 k baht. Happened on the dark side about 6 months ago.

Had they been carrying it to a house they lived in would probably have been no problem. By taking it to a bar it was obvious that they were going to install it themselves, and therefore "working" on a commercial establishment.

They should have known better.

29 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. No one is forcing anyone to sleep with bargirls, but the idea that some girl back home hasn't slept with loads of different guys before is cracking me up. If they do it with Joe that they just met, they have probably done it with heaps of other guys. Since they invented the pill, it's all on, and girls are just as randy as guys, till they catch one and then it's all off.

your comparing homeland to thailand bar girls,? your having a laugh, ive seen some lasses on a night out yep they look for sex but not 5,6,8,10 short times a day, and you want to go with that, good luck to yeh, thats your choise,

im just saying its not for me and as i said in my other post im not pulling them down, knocking them, just not for me, but you crack on,

20 hours ago, The manic said:

Impose your own routine and escape from the institutional state of mind that you seem to be trapped in like a prisoner.

What makes you think it's an institutional state of mind, rather than a biological one? For the whole of human history we've had a need to be active just to feed ourselves, provide shelter and the like. We'll have been selected by evolution over thousands of generations to engage - be driven to engage - in the kind of activities that keep us alive. Kirk Douglas said that his kids had to function. He didn't care what they did - they could be actors, plumbers or taxi drivers - but they had to function. He had seen what happened to rich kids who had enough money to do nothing but "please themselves" all day. The reality is that very quickly they don't please themselves. They drive themselves nuts. Now the opposing view is that work and drudgery aren't the same thing. Paid work is mainly drudgery, or it is for lots of people. Happy is the man who's paid for his hobbies, but most people aren't paid for their hobbies. So with enough money to avoid drudgery purposeful, creative work becomes possible. Personally, though, I just can't buy it. I also don't think there are enough examples of it working for it to even be the likely outcome for most folk. Sure, you get the odd artist. My ex-landlord (who lived off renting out rooms, like the UK's Rigsby in the series Rising Damp) was a real artist. Trained in the Glasgow Art School, and quite a good sculptor. But even he, I think, didn't benefit from an endless amount of time to "do as he pleased". Considered over any extended period of time what seems to please you won't, or so it generally seems to me. 

I hate the fact of this, but it doesn't make it any less of a fact. My pal said, "I want to be the person who wanted to be the person I am now". That's about it. When you're young you can think of nothing better than the resources to do as you please. Be careful what you wish for. You might just get it. 

1 hour ago, pigeonjake said:

your comparing homeland to thailand bar girls,? your having a laugh, ive seen some lasses on a night out yep they look for sex but not 5,6,8,10 short times a day, and you want to go with that, good luck to yeh, thats your choise,

im just saying its not for me and as i said in my other post im not pulling them down, knocking them, just not for me, but you crack on,

Given the current rates with that kind of action the ladies would be making more than the average Thai brain surgeon.  Good pay in my opinion. 

11 minutes ago, amvet said:

Given the current rates with that kind of action the ladies would be making more than the average Thai brain surgeon.  Good pay in my opinion. 

i agree some do make good dough, 

i was operations manager in bkk of a stainless fabrication company so i know what highly skilled men get and i would say some top end girls make far more,

good luck to them, just not for me

11 minutes ago, pigeonjake said:

i agree some do make good dough, 

i was operations manager in bkk of a stainless fabrication company so i know what highly skilled men get and i would say some top end girls make far more,

good luck to them, just not for me

Average bar girl when I managed the home for unwed Thai wayward women was one every other night. I was always amazed at the lack of customers compared to the normal Western strip joint and table dance club.  The Thai ladies are nuns by comparison.  That's why so many don't end up hating Thailand - even the bad girls are good.  Of course there's always the spark plug who when getting off work with the Farang goes to the Thai clubs and hires a young Thai gigolo for herself - some people can never get enough.  

16 hours ago, pigeonjake said:

but not 5,6,8,10 short times a day

SERIOUSLY!!!!!!! You are so wide of the mark there it's, IMO, ludicrous.

Edited by thaibeachlovers