Pollution Control Department awards five-star ratings to 13 beaches around Thailand

webfact

Pollution Control Department awards five-star ratings to 13 beaches around Thailand

Travel log

e9703d60cfea01d6dcf35eedf9facd38.jpg

Tanot Beach, Krabi. Photo: Tourism Authority of Thailand

Which are the cleanest beaches in the Kingdom this year?

The results of Thailand’s annual ‘beach star rating’ study by the Pollution Control Department are in and 13 beaches around Thailand have been awarded five-star ratings.

According to the Pollution Control Department, this year’s beach evaluation was based on four important criteria. The Department studied water quality that included both solid waste and pollution in the sea; plastic and oil pollution and residue; coastal and beach trash management; condition of reefs and national park resources; environmental control, and tourism management.

This year, the Department has rated 13 beaches around Thailand as five-star. These include: Toei Ngam Beach in Sattahip (under the supervision of the Royal Thai Navy), Chon Buri; Laem Sala Beach in Sam Roi Yot National Park, Prachuap Khiri Khan; Ao Manao (under the supervision of the 5th Aviation Division), Prachuap Khiri khan; Ao Ka Beach, Sam Sao Beach and Tham Rang Beach in Mu Ko Ang Thong National Park, Surat Thani; Thai Mueang Beach in Khao Lampi – Hat Thai Mueang National Park, Ao Kuek Beach in Mu Ko Similan National Park, Mai Ngam Beach in Mo Ko Surin National Park, Phang-nga; Laem Tanot Beach and Ko Rok Beach in Mu Ko Lanta National Park and Bileh Beach in Than Bok Khorani National Park, Krabi and Li Di Beach in Mu Ko Phetra National Park Satun.

Many of these beaches are in Thailand’s National Parks that are closed off during the low season, which allows for natural rejuvenation during almost half the year.

Even so Thai beaches and coastal marine environments are constantly under threat from travellers, both foreign and domestic, who feed fish, pollute coral reefs, and catch starfish and other marine life – all of which is strictly forbidden.

The Pollution Control Department launched its beach star rating in 2002 and has continued to expand the scope of its study each year. So far it has evaluated 390 beaches around Thailand. From the total, Bileh Beach in the Than Bok Khorani National Park, Krabi has continued to receive the highest possible rating as a five-star beach multiple times.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Travel_log/30324890

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-29

8 minutes ago, KIWIBATCH said:

How about the Pollution Control Dept releases a list of the most polluted beaches in Thailand not to visit...!

I mean they are the Pollution Control Dept...aren't they?

Now Now,   first you have to ask yourself the question is the Pollution Control Dept.  polluted themselves ? i.e. from the years of observations made by many members on this forum ,  my reading of them concludes that it appears that there is an overriding opinion that in some instances corruption plays a big role in the decision process in Thailand.  Hence are these 5 star awards prompted by , what should we say ? undo influence ?

And exactly what is a Thai 5 star award ? is it comparable to the global standards laid out by the WHO guidelines or what ?

59 minutes ago, KIWIBATCH said:

How about the Pollution Control Dept releases a list of the most polluted beaches in Thailand not to visit...!

I mean they are the Pollution Control Dept...aren't they?

555 beat me to it

and who believes them anyway, I'm pretty sure there is a respected international body that carries out these tests independently for the world tourism industry of which Thailand must be a fully signed up member lol

Thailand the Hub of clean beaches and marine safety

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

There is no way you would get me into the sea in Thailand no matter if Thailand awards itself a 5 star rating.   5 star sewage pond doesn't do it for me.

Having been to many of these beaches  I have to say your post is way off. There are some stunning beaches. As nice as the Maldives? No, but not bad. I'm sitting on a beach in the Maldives now.

Thai beaches and coastal marine environments are constantly under threat from travellers, both foreign and domestic, who feed fish, pollute coral reefs, and catch starfish and other marine life – all of which is strictly forbidden.

Yeah, but. . . 

Pollution generated by holidaymakers is literally a drop in the ocean compared with that emanating from local factories, fishing fleets and coastal towns which use the sea as a free rubbish dump.

In popular resorts like Pattaya and Hua Hin, cleaning up the beach may produce cosmetic results, but bathe in the filthy waters of the Gulf at your peril. 

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Even so Thai beaches and coastal marine environments are constantly under threat from travellers, both foreign and domestic, who feed fish, pollute coral reefs, and catch starfish and other marine life – all of which is strictly forbidden.

No one can seriously believe that the pollution we see daily on Pattaya's beaches is caused by travelers, both foreign and domestic, who feed fish, pollute coral reefs, and catch starfish and other marine life!  I sincerely doubt that these so called causes even amount to more than 1% of the pollution.

If this is the best that Thailand can do,  Pattaya's beaches will remain trashed and the Gulf of Thailand will just continue to be the toilet for Thailand.  Sadly, it can not be flushed!

On 29/08/2017 at 8:15 AM, Thechook said:

There is no way you would get me into the sea in Thailand no matter if Thailand awards itself a 5 star rating.   5 star sewage pond doesn't do it for me.

Do you want to be a bit more dramatic or over the top perhaps?  Jeez.

They have classified 13 beaches to have a 5 star ranking out of how many in the country?  Hundreds?  Thousands?  That would seem to be a quite realistic and high standard to judge them by.  Thailand did not "award itself a 5 star rating".  Get a grip.