North Korea fires missile over Japan, sharply escalating tensions

webfact

6 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

How about North Korea stop their provocative posturing and actual invasions into the South? Along with stop counterfeiting currency, drugs, selling chemical weapons to rogue states, massive human rights violations and overall poor treatment of their citizens.

Or are you ok with all of that?

See pursed lips emoticon on my post.  :tongue:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, retarius said:

On THAAD not deploying....I read that it takes months to install and then of course will need to be tested before it can be used.

I think I might have misjudged Kim. I thought he was not as nutty as Trump, now I am not so sure. He has always seen the US/SK drills around his shores as provocative, but there are other ways to handle such provocation. Weren't the 3 missiles over the weekend enough for him?

One has to feel that this is a major miscalculation by Kim. I still have a faint hope of avoiding war but I don't think Kim realizes how war-crazy the Pentagon and Deep State are.

Honestly I don't think that the Pentagon and State Department are behind Trump. Two nuts are provoking each other for the past months and if the US strikes back at NK, Seoul will be in a real problem. Its time for China to put NK in order. 

1 hour ago, baboon said:

'We don't mean you any harm, we're just going to bomb you.'

Some seem to want to take the gamble that the DPRK will just stand idly by. I don't. 

Do you have children?

How long do you tolerate bad behaviour before punishment is handed down? 

I would give advance warning to minimise collateral damage and then use 120 cruise missiles as a metaphorical slap to the little fat guy's arse.

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

Do you have children?

I would give advance warning to minimise collateral damage and then use 120 cruise missiles as a metaphorical slap to the little fat guy's arse.

What's your metaphor for all the other dead people?

Dealing with Kim is like trying to deal with a kid who throws tantrums.  No one likes it. You want to go and smack the kid, but you know it won't improve things.  Since he hasn't yet tangibly destroyed anything, or killed anyone outside his country (other than his brother in Malaysia, and a few others elsewhere we probably don't know about) - I say it's best to leave him be for now.

Of course it's bothersome to have missiles flying around - but if/when war breaks out, it will be 'all hell breaks out' time.  There are some scenarios we can hope for.  Not likely, but possibly; Kim will die, maybe by intra-palace player(s).  Perhaps he'll run off to self-exile in Siberia. Possibly a coup d'etat.  Or....maybe he'll take a pill and miraculously become mature and decent.  He did, after all, go to school in Switzerland, so he's had some exposure to decent people in his youth.

5 hours ago, Grouse said:

Do you have children?

Yes I do. A daughter. And if we were in Seoul right now I would be pretty anxious, just like the many Korean families must be too.  But of course it is just fine to wave away their lives with a 'Well, it had to be done', by those whose own lives would not be forfeit.

P.S. cruise missiles have a base cost of $1 million.   The cost of training/keeping personnel, and the boats that carry them, and the massive costs for taking care of military people after they retire, at least doubles the cost of a cruise missile.  

The US currently has about 3,500 cruise missiles of various types.  

Then there's the B1 bomber and its weaponry, re-fueling requirements, personnel, etc etc.  Even the most hawkish of US hawks admit the B1 costs too much.  

The weaponry of war is very expensive, particular as it relates to the US military, It's like its pharma industry:  paying more than any other country, for similar items.   The cost of the average US military soldier is closing in on $1 million/year.  

The US military overspends similar to how the US prison system overspends.  In NY state, it costs $60,000 to house and feed each prisoner.   In California, it's over $75k/yr.  At Guantanomo, Uncle Sam spends $6 million per prisoner.

1 hour ago, baboon said:

Yes I do. A daughter. And if we were in Seoul right now I would be pretty anxious, just like the many Korean families must be too.

But of course it is just fine to wave away their lives with a 'Well, it had to be done', by those whose own lives would not be forfeit.

Don't misrepresent me

My opinion is that bullies and violent people generally have to be stood up to.

Deterrence does not work if one never takes action.

I don't want any wars. Ever.

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

Don't misrepresent me

Deterrence does not work if one never takes action.

I don't want any wars. Ever.

I did not misrepresent you at all. I simply gave an answer to your question that you are uncomfortable with.

17 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Kim is playing a very dangerous game of brinkmanship, which shows a total disregard for the lives of people in both North and South. By continuously being provocative, he has to understand that sooner or later there will be a reaction which, when it comes, will probably be the end of him and the very nasty regime he controls.

And possibly the end of the majority of Koreans in the world. :(

10 minutes ago, baboon said:

I did not misrepresent you at all. I simply gave an answer to your question that you are uncomfortable with.

“You were given the choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.”

One can not allow tin pot dictators to call all the shots. It doesn't work.

4 hours ago, Grouse said:

Agreed, and that seems to be what Kim is doing, standing up to the bullies

8 hours ago, Grouse said:

Armchair military strategists coming up with ideas like this and people thinking Thaad is a magic silver bullet that can shoot down objects traveling at 10,000 miles/hour 350 miles high anywhere over a country needs to stop

18 hours ago, digger70 said:

That IS the news.What Planet r u from?

Please post a link to a credible media source that says Japan wasn't upset and afraid of the rocket launch that went over their sovereign territory. Can't wait to see this.  LOL

16 hours ago, baboon said:

'We don't mean you any harm, we're just going to bomb you.'

Some seem to want to take the gamble that the DPRK will just stand idly by. I don't. 

No good solutions either way. Kim's going to paint himself into a corner soon.

China needs to do more. They are the key player here. Sadly, they don't seem interested in being more aggressive towards NK. I understand their reasons, but it may come back to bite them. An armed nuclear missile could easily go off course and land in China.

6 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Please post a link to a credible media source that says Japan wasn't upset and afraid of the rocket launch that went over their sovereign territory. Can't wait to see this.  LOL

If there Was a threat Japan would have said so and it would be in the News,,,As they say No News is Good News,,,,  (:

45 minutes ago, digger70 said:

If there Was a threat Japan would have said so and it would be in the News,,,As they say No News is Good News,,,,  (:

From the Independent:-

Millions of Japanese people awoke to "terrifying" text messages urging them to "evacuate to a sturdy building or underground" after North Korea fired a missile over the country.

They sound pretty worried to me?

7 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

No good solutions either way. Kim's going to paint himself into a corner soon.

China needs to do more. They are the key player here. Sadly, they don't seem interested in being more aggressive towards NK. I understand their reasons, but it may come back to bite them. An armed nuclear missile could easily go off course and land in China.

"An armed nuclear missile could easily go off course and land in China."    ??

What ?  Kim's nukes are all aimed at Japan, they're pointing East. He's also got some that point South, towards South Korea. How on earth can these missiles head West, towards China ?

Okay, so the radiation sickness after a nuke has been detonated might reach China and Beijing. But there's no way a nuke from Kim is going to head towards China.

1 hour ago, tonbridgebrit said:

"An armed nuclear missile could easily go off course and land in China."    ??

What ?  Kim's nukes are all aimed at Japan, they're pointing East. He's also got some that point South, towards South Korea. How on earth can these missiles head West, towards China ?

Okay, so the radiation sickness after a nuke has been detonated might reach China and Beijing. But there's no way a nuke from Kim is going to head towards China.

Never say never. It'll make a fool out of you.

http://www.dw.com/en/uk-government-covered-up-disastrous-failure-in-nuclear-missile-test-report/a-37230406

UK government covered up 'disastrous failure' in nuclear missile test: report

A British newspaper has alleged that an unarmed nuclear missile veered off course and headed toward the US in a 2016 test. The Trident system is the country's only nuclear weapon system and aims to deter threats.

Edited by craigt3365